mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Thule Spare Tire Rack "Spare Me"

Hello

I recently purchased the Thule 963 "Spare Me" bike rack for an 08 Jeep wrangler. It was easy to install, but it seems like it would be difficult to mount two bikes without removing the pedals or maybe the front tires. Has anyone else had this issue? I am trying to mount one 29er and a regular 26. I did not spend a lot of time on it yet maybe there is something I missed.
    Does anyone have any experience with this rack?

Thanks in advance

mtbr member
    That's one of the things that sucks about spare tire racks, plus your bikes will bang against each other and the rack places a lot of stress on the rear gate. Not sure if the newer Wranglers are beefed up but on older ones it was possible to bend the gate because of the extra weight.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    WOW. Thanks for the reply. I did not think about it possibly damaging the back gate because it is attached to the same piece of the gate that supports the spare tire. I would think it would be strong enough to handle a bit extra.
    Hummm...
    I also sent an email to Thule directly. Maybe they will give me some new info.

Thanks again

mtbr member
    I mount a 29er and 26er together on mine with no problem. Make sure you mount them in opposite directions and position the pedals as to not get any rub against the other bike. Also, use a couple bungee cords to keep the front wheels from moving all over.

As far as the weight, I believe the tailgate bracket is rated to hold approximately 150lbs. I have never had any problem/damage caused from the weight, but I suppose it is possible. Hope that helps.

Matt

mtbr member
    I think the problem of possibly bending the gate isn't so much the weight of the bikes but the fact that they tend to bounce as you drive. That extra weight has a lot of leverage on the gate.