mtbr member
    May 2006

through bolt 9mm front axle

Hey guys,
    I'm looking into converting my front wheel to bolt on rather than skewer in hopes of gaining some stifness up front.

Currently I run Salsa Delgado disc rims laced to XT hubs with DT spokes. I also have a manitou minute 3:00 fork.

my question is, can I get a solid longer axel for the XT hub and install it or am I going to be forced to change hubs?

If I need to change hubs, which hub is the best for such a setup? I know hadley has a conversion kit and DT has their fancy RWS through axels. Any other options out there?

thanks alot,
    Pedro

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    with the XT hubs, you can get a threaded axle and normal nuts

the alternative, as you already said is going for the Hadley bolt-on or DT RWS

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks for your help
    which size axel should I purchase?
    solid, 9X1X110?

I'm not completely sure.... might need to search a bit to see what others have done... a 110mm give you one "extra" cm for the nuts..which might not be enough.. but the 155 would be too long, but maybe you could cut the "extra" length...

If I find any threads with the exact info..I will post back...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    thanks, I searched around and couldnt find anything specific about the XT's but perhaps I overlooked it.
    I think I'll order the 155 and cut the extra length off.

before I bother doing this, do you think its worth it?
    The minutes just feel a bit flexy under hard cornering. When I first got them they were a massive improvement over the ancient rock shox psylo I was running. But now I've started riding harder and going a bit bigger.
    I think a new fork with a 20mm axel up front is in going to be my next major purchase but I wanted to try this to see if I can get that last bit of performance out of the parts I already have until I have the money for a new fork.

well..at least this upgrade is quite "low investment", so your wallet will suffer very little... so do it for now....

definitely a TA is the next thing to do... save your pennies and beat up the minute for now

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I don't know if I would even bother. Just keep the QR and tighten the piss out of it.

The big reason that 20mm TAs are so much stiffer is the large clamping area over the length of the axle and the actual clamping of the axle itself. Plus a 20mm axle it self will be much stiffer.

You should get some gain in stiffness with converting to bolt on but it isn't going to be huge or enough to make it worth the effort of a hub rebuild and getting the parts, even though neither should be hard.

Also make sure your spokes are properly tensioned.