mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Thrash my Scott Scale or get a new frame?

I recently purchased a Scott Scale 40 as my first mountain bike and I think it perhaps was not the right type of mountain bike for my needs. As it turns out the environment I find myself riding is categorized by locals as more of a 'all mountain' or 'free ride' environment. I imagine I wouldn't be able to land any large jumps or do any serious down hill descents but what exactly should I be watching out for with this frame?

I want to ride my bike on mountains - not on asphalt - and as there is precious little XC I can find within a reasonable distance from my house am I better off breaking down the bike, selling the frame and replacing it with something heavier duty or just riding it cautiously (boring)? If so, any suggetions?

And before someone mentions it, as much as I'd like a FS I don't think I can afford it and nor do I care to really learn the extra maintenance work. I'm happy with with the number of shocks I've got. Besides the uphill is really important here - hike a bike IS NOT FUN.

It's a small frame and I weight in at around 155-160lbs. It's completely stock except for clipless pedals.

Here's some shots of some of the local ride spots:

Achasan

Namhansanseong

♥ ς╥33
    Sell it as a complete bike if youre gonna sell it. Or burn it and put it on youtube, but money is nicer imo, if I were you that is.

Pin it to win it
    Aug 2008
    Definitely better to sell as a complete bike.

I dunno, you might prefer full-suspension for the terrain you are riding, but I think that if you are willing to work with it then that bike would work just fine. I have a friend who rides one of those. He probably weighs 10 lbs or so less then you, but he is NOT gentle with his equipment (broken 4 frames to date... one being a Trek Remedy) and he takes that thing of drops, dirt jumps, sketchy downhills and it's held up fine.

Brant-C.
    is there a bike shop that will let you test ride?

that is the best way to experiment with full suspension or other hardtails.

just my $.02
    I just like riding my mountain bike.