mtbr member
    Sep 2015

Thoughts on the Diamondback Mission Pro?

I just found out that i get 30 to 50 % off Diamondback bikes. Wanted to see what you guys thought about the Diamondback Mission Pro. I can get that bike for $3300 plus shipping. I can get the other models as well.

I am new to MTB and i currently own a 2015 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp Carbon 29 FSR. I love the stumpjumper but at that price point i am wondering how much better it is then the stumpjumper.

mtbr member
    I wouldnt want that bike. It seems like the bike you're on now is a better bike.

It kinda looks like DB made a nothing-special frame, with dated geometry and slapped a bunch of expensive parts on it. I would rather have lower end parts and a fantastic, dialed frame.

If you get the bikes half off, a mission 1 wouldnt be bad for $1500. The extra bits on the pro arent worth nearly 2 grand. They have a strange pricing strategy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    "Better" I think is really subjective. The Mission is a much more Freeride bike than the Stumpjumper. If you ride hard, prioritize speed on the down, and like to throw the bike around, The Mission would seem like a great fit. If you are more interested in covering a lot of trail, keeping speed on the flat, and pulling less weight uphill, the Specialized you have is a better bike for that.

mtbr member
    ^^Definitely this. I've spent a lot of time on a Stumpjumper 29er, and while I generally don't enjoy the handling of 29ers on descents, I found the Specialized to be one of the best 29ers I've ever ridden in that regard. So unless you're interested in getting into heavier drops and jumps or significantly gnarlier terrain, I wouldn't consider the Diamondback to be an upgrade. Indeed, it's more of an Enduro/Freeride bike.

That said, I've got a buddy who has the older version of the DB (Not called the Mission, but something else that escapes my memory with 26" wheels) and he loves it.
    Dear U.S. Forest Service: Please ban all wilderness in my riding areas.

mtbr member
    Its not a freeride bike. Its an AM bike. Its trying to compete with all the other bikes on the market running 160mm forks. Its just not all that competitive with other bikes out there. It used to be a 150mm bike running a 140mm fork, but they stretched it out recently. Theres a ton of great 6 inch bikes now, I wouldnt be spending $3300 on a mission. A full retail giant reign is $3400 bucks, and you get a pike. The rest of the parts are lower spec, but even with that the reign is going to be a nicer ride.

Their freeride bike is the cooper.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Well the rest of these guys are pretty negative, but I just picked up the Mission 2 with the discount and it was definitely worth it. Paid 2500 for it and couldn't find anything else close to that price with a dropper and 1x11 which I wanted. Plus the fork and shock are both new for 2016. Though not sure why you want a new bike already if you have a 2015 carbon Stump. Just my two cents. I do agree that the pro is sorta overkill for the price. Think the Mission 2 is just right for price/components.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by BreaBeast View Post
    Well the rest of these guys are pretty negative, but I just picked up the Mission 2 with the discount and it was definitely worth it. Paid 2500 for it and couldn't find anything else close to that price with a dropper and 1x11 which I wanted. Plus the fork and shock are both new for 2016. Though not sure why you want a new bike already if you have a 2015 carbon Stump. Just my two cents. I do agree that the pro is sorta overkill for the price. Think the Mission 2 is just right for price/components.
    I was just looking for a friend. I love my stump jumper.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    I too have been looking into the Diamondback Mission line, mostly on account of a similar program with a 30-50% discount off their posted full retail prices. There does not seem to be a lot of coverage and the reviews are mixed. I had been thinking the Mission Pro, but am now leaning more towards the Mission 2. I am no downhill bomber and honestly like to climb just as much as go down. Perhaps a modern bike will change that as I was last riding a rigid Jabberwocky SS and still ride my 2001 Rocky Mountain Element (primarily to and from work).

I recently demoed an Ibis MOJO HD and loved the ride, but cannot justify that coin. As it is, my schedule is crazy and I have one year olds at home which keeps me plenty busy. I had thought $3,500 or under for the Mission Pro would be great. I like the price point of $2,500 for the Mission 2 even more, but other posts and reviews I do not know if that is providing good bang for the buck.

Would appreciate any comments and recommendations as to other comparable bikes price and components to consider.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    If anyone is interested in the 2017 Mission Pro, its going for $2,719.00 on Aventuron.com. Thats the lowest price I've seen for Mission Pro.

Then 2017 Mission 2 is going for $1,899.00 on Jensonusa.com.

mtbr member
    You can get a release with a decent enough spec for $1800 from DB's corporate site. Its like a budget santa cruz... sort of.