Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40

    Thoughts on DBR dualie frames for AM setups?

    Just curious as to what y'all thought about an older DBR frame (1999 X-6) as an all mountain setup. Obviously not the lightest in the world, but has anyone else built one up/ridden one? Here's the specs on the bike as it was, but keep in mind I'm just talking about the frame: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...1259&Type=bike

    Here's a picture of the build as is: I was thinking of beefing things up a to a more AM setup, but thought I might ask you bike geniuses first.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    -Albert Einstein
    On the Theory of Relativity-

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    88
    I just picked up this XR4 and I enjoy the hell out of riding it.



    I've been a DBR guy since I started riding back in 1997. I bought this as just a frame off Craiglist and did a cheap but good build using parts I had replaced on my SC and deals I found online. It's definitely heavy but it doesn't ride as heavy as it really is. DBR's geometry to me seems different than any other bikes I've ridden. Very quick handling, nimble bikes. That said I think my DBR is more suited to light AM and more XC which is the kind of riding I have around here in Indiana. I'm going to take it to Snowshoe Mt. WV this summer to test it on the trails there and there isn't a doubt in my mind it'll take anything that I can throw at it.
    Brandon
    09 Santa Cruz Superlight
    00 Diamondback XR-4
    99 Specialized S-Works

  3. #3
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4rt4cus
    Just curious as to what y'all thought about an older DBR frame (1999 X-6) as an all mountain setup. Obviously not the lightest in the world, but has anyone else built one up/ridden one? Here's the specs on the bike as it was, but keep in mind I'm just talking about the frame: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...1259&Type=bike

    Here's a picture of the build as is: I was thinking of beefing things up a to a more AM setup, but thought I might ask you bike geniuses first.
    What exactly are you thinking of doing? What is the current build (I can't tell from the picture)?

    The risk you run is that it is a pretty old frame (and I assume shock) so I would not drop too much money one upgrades UNLESS they are things you would be able to use on a new frame, in the event that it finally gives out, or you just want a newer frame with better manners and more travel. So, things like a new wheelset can make sense. Also, changes to the cockpit setup can make a real difference as well in terms of how it handles.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    The current build is as follows--
    Frame: DBR X-6
    Fork: Manitou Black (air)
    Shock: Fox Vanilla R
    Brakes: Avid juicy 5 front, Juicy 3.5 Rear
    Drivetrain: LX crankset/9spd cassette, XT Derailleurs, Deore shifters
    Wheels: Rhynolite rims on LX hubs
    Tires: Bontrager 2.1 rear, Specialized 2.3 front
    Stem: FSA 4 bolt midrise aluminum
    Bars: Generic Alloy riser

    What I was thinking was a longer travel fork, (maybe a fox float 120mm w/ 15mm thruaxle?), stiffer rear shock (either upgrade the spring or go Fox air), Mavic rims, and maybe a new crankset? Shifters too?

    Thoughts?
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    -Albert Einstein
    On the Theory of Relativity-

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    I like the setup-- I have the 09 Tora on an older hardtail-- how's the flex on yours with disc brakes?
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    -Albert Einstein
    On the Theory of Relativity-

  6. #6
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4rt4cus
    The current build is as follows--
    Frame: DBR X-6
    Fork: Manitou Black (air)
    Shock: Fox Vanilla R
    Brakes: Avid juicy 5 front, Juicy 3.5 Rear
    Drivetrain: LX crankset/9spd cassette, XT Derailleurs, Deore shifters
    Wheels: Rhynolite rims on LX hubs
    Tires: Bontrager 2.1 rear, Specialized 2.3 front
    Stem: FSA 4 bolt midrise aluminum
    Bars: Generic Alloy riser

    What I was thinking was a longer travel fork, (maybe a fox float 120mm w/ 15mm thruaxle?), stiffer rear shock (either upgrade the spring or go Fox air), Mavic rims, and maybe a new crankset? Shifters too?

    Thoughts?
    Well, in terms of being burly enough for an "AM" rig, the rear shock, crank, shifters and rims seem OK for that. I mean, you can upgrade for overall performance, but those are not parts that are holding you back right now in terms of rough riding and some moderate drops and jumps. If you need a stiffer spring for the shock then get it. However, I would be hesitant to start upgrading everything on this bike.

    The fork, on the other hand..... Yeah, you could probably go burlier with that, but I would be careful about going too big and planning on really hucking this thing. At the same time, 120mm is not that big, and I would worry that it might not be something that gets used beyond this bike. Maybe something like a Tora 318 Coil with u-turn (if you want to keep the investment down). 85-130mm travel, and it is pretty stout. Also, bigger tires might make a difference in that you could run them at lower pressure, but that's just personal preference.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    I happen to have that exact fork on a rebuilt fisher tassajara, -- I just worried about it because its flexy. I'll put it on there and see how it feels, thanks! As far as investment goes, don't worry, I had all the parts already-- and being a college student, major upgrades would take time regardless.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    -Albert Einstein
    On the Theory of Relativity-

  8. #8
    Bicyclochondriac.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    13,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Sp4rt4cus
    I happen to have that exact fork on a rebuilt fisher tassajara, -- I just worried about it because its flexy. I'll put it on there and see how it feels, thanks! As far as investment goes, don't worry, I had all the parts already-- and being a college student, major upgrades would take time regardless.
    The Tora was flexy? Wow. It should be a lot stiffer than the Black. Sure it's not something like the wheel? If you are finding the Tora flexy then you probably need to go with something with a 20mm TA.

    By upgrading, I was referring to upgrading beyond what you listed already. If you already have the parts you are talking about putting on, then sure, go for it.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    hmm maybe it's just my Tora-- I checked and it's the 302 U turn, not the 318-- when I put disc brakes on felt like it flexed like mad. It's possible it could just be the wheel, from what I understand those rhynolites rarely come properly tensioned... I'll check it out when I get home tonight and switch the two forks.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    -Albert Einstein
    On the Theory of Relativity-

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    40
    So I tensioned and trued the wheels, installed the Tora, increased the rear travel, adjusted the sag front and back, tuned up everything, and wow do I like the results. Thanks for the help kapusta! I can't wait to get it out to the trail and feel the plush.
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    -Albert Einstein
    On the Theory of Relativity-

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    27
    Hey all, I know this is an old thread but just bought a DBR x-2 frame and cant wait to get this bike on the trails. I want to put disc brakes on it but not sure if it will work. Did all 1999 DBR models have the same frames? Or should I just do a front disc and back V?

    I have the original derailers, crankset, and front shock.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •