mtbr member
    May 2006

Thoughts on this bike....Scott 22 Nitrous

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...tain-Bike.html

Looking at 2005 models and would be interested in peoples thoughts on this bike. It will be my first full suspension bike, I'm coming from a Gary Fisher hard tail that I've had since 2002.

Thanks.

Dirt Displacer
    I demo'ed the Nitrous when it came out in Germany, and it is a really nice bike. If I bought one, I'd replace the shock with a coil and a rear 7" rotor, that's about it.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Can you even replace the shock on those? I thought it was a specially designed Scott model, with the handlebar mounted travel adjustment and all that... is it still a pretty standard size eye to eye and stroke length? Is there room in the frame for a coil w/piggyback? Is the carbon frame cleared for use with a coil? I have no idea, but I'm curious as well!
    The bike looks really cool. I saw one in person at the bike shop, the carbon is gorgeous. If it's your first full suspension, be certain to demo lots of models. In addition to finding the right geometry, you'll also want to find the right travel length, shock type, suspension type, etc. etc. for your style and terrain. Lots more variables in a full sus purchase.
    Good luck!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hiccup
    Can you even replace the shock on those? I thought it was a specially designed Scott model, with the handlebar mounted travel adjustment and all that... is it still a pretty standard size eye to eye and stroke length? Is there room in the frame for a coil w/piggyback? Is the carbon frame cleared for use with a coil? I have no idea, but I'm curious as well!
    The bike looks really cool. I saw one in person at the bike shop, the carbon is gorgeous. If it's your first full suspension, be certain to demo lots of models. In addition to finding the right geometry, you'll also want to find the right travel length, shock type, suspension type, etc. etc. for your style and terrain. Lots more variables in a full sus purchase.
    Good luck!
    I think your refering to the Scott Genius line of bikes not the Nitrous as enquired about,

these come with there own make of pull shock and like you say with a handle bar mounted shock adustment,nice bikes.

mtbr member
    Ahh, yes, silly me! Sorry 'bout that!
    I think I am actually thinking of the Ransom. The crazy new carbon one with 6" travel. Nice bike.
    The Nitrous is cool as well, always liked the look of 'em, though I've never ridden one. I've got a thing for Scott bikes though, they're purty.

Still lost
    Quote Originally Posted by hiccup
    Ahh, yes, silly me! Sorry 'bout that!
    I think I am actually thinking of the Ransom. The crazy new carbon one with 6" travel. Nice bike.
    The Nitrous is cool as well, always liked the look of 'em, though I've never ridden one. I've got a thing for Scott bikes though, they're purty.
    The Ransom is drool worthy, but at a shade under $7K complete, I don't have the benjamins to purchase. But a 6.5 inch travel trail bike with 36 rc2 at under 30 lbs is certainly desirable. I only hope the carbon fiber can hold up to the kind of abuse trail bikes should handle (i.e. 6 - 8 ft drops).
    [SIZE=3]
    "Yesterday is the past,
    Tomorrow is not guaranteed,
    For today, we ride"
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Hi,
    If me are really talking about the Ransom I demoed one for 2 days. it was the worst 5000 Euro bike I have ever ridden. The rear end was very degressive resulting in a shock that was to strikeing through even at drops of 15 inch to flat. reducing sag from 30% to 15% did not solve the problem. Handling was awful: Fork (36) and rear end were no way ballanced when set up (to little high speed damping on rear shock, no progression rear), when driving over heavy stuff, the rear suspension was driving through travel way to fast,
    wheelbase seems to be way to short for this much travel. As told by the shop the rear swingarm bearings had been replaced twice in 6 weeks (half as large as at other manufacturers). The shock was leaking oil (more than normal). For me the stering angle seemed to be to steep. In the past two years I drove a lot of different bikes (Giant reign,
    Speci Enduro, Santo Normad, Canondale Prophet, Yeti 575) all of these bikes had pros and cons (mostly optimising towards one direction resulted in cons in the opposite) BUT THIS BIKE FELT HORRIBLE ! The rear end seems to be wrong constructed as everyone I know who demoed the Ransom noticed the degressive rear end. To clear this absolutely :
    There is nothing wrong about a degressive linkage to reduce the progressiveness of a air shock ( I am driving a Cannondale Prophet for 16 month now, so I know what I am talking about) but the whole System (lingkage plus shock) has to be slightly progressive or at least linear (spring rate) but never degressive.
    Christian

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by cwrender
    Hi,
    If me are really talking about the Ransom I demoed one for 2 days. it was the worst 5000 Euro bike I have ever ridden. The rear end was very degressive resulting in a shock that was to strikeing through even at drops of 15 inch to flat. reducing sag from 30% to 15% did not solve the problem. Handling was awful: Fork (36) and rear end were no way ballanced when set up (to little high speed damping on rear shock, no progression rear), when driving over heavy stuff, the rear suspension was driving through travel way to fast,
    wheelbase seems to be way to short for this much travel. As told by the shop the rear swingarm bearings had been replaced twice in 6 weeks (half as large as at other manufacturers). The shock was leaking oil (more than normal). For me the stering angle seemed to be to steep. In the past two years I drove a lot of different bikes (Giant reign,
    Speci Enduro, Santo Normad, Canondale Prophet, Yeti 575) all of these bikes had pros and cons (mostly optimising towards one direction resulted in cons in the opposite) BUT THIS BIKE FELT HORRIBLE ! The rear end seems to be wrong constructed as everyone I know who demoed the Ransom noticed the degressive rear end. To clear this absolutely :
    There is nothing wrong about a degressive linkage to reduce the progressiveness of a air shock ( I am driving a Cannondale Prophet for 16 month now, so I know what I am talking about) but the whole System (lingkage plus shock) has to be slightly progressive or at least linear (spring rate) but never degressive.
    Christian
    I'm not surprised, it does look like they focused on the technology showcase more than how it actually rides. Does a mountain bike need to be so complicated to be good? Your review suggests not!

I don't like the look of the Nitrous much either. The rear end looks pretty detached from the main frame and looks like it will put significant side loads into the rear shock.

Never ridden either bike though, so only commenting on first impression of the design.

mtbr member
    May 2004

coupons!!!~

Quote Originally Posted by P. Bauer
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/4...tain-Bike.html

Looking at 2005 models and would be interested in peoples thoughts on this bike. It will be my first full suspension bike, I'm coming from a Gary Fisher hard tail that I've had since 2002.

Thanks.
    IF you buy from STP - use online coupons. I once ordered a bike from there for an additional 25% off thier reduced price - use the fatwalletdotcom discount (-4%) and at least every other month there is a 20% off coupon.
    coupons might also be found at currentcodesdotcom...

if there are coupons then this might be an even better deal (i am somewhat biased!) Marin w/ TALAS...
    http://www.sierratradingpost.com/pro...x?baseno=66989
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 05-09-2006 at 07:40 AM.