mtbr member

New question here. Thoughts about the Jamis Komodo?

Im looking to pick up a slacker geometry frame for trail/all mountain use. Jamis describes this as an urban/park/DJ bike but it seems a lot of people ride it as a trail bike. Any here have experience with it? I have a chance to pick it up cheap. What are your opinions?

usually cranky
    good aggressive hardtail.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Good entry level bike on a $400 budget. The weak links are the cranks, brakes, and fork. Otherwise it is a decent trail rider. By the time you upgrade parts, you may be better off starting with a bare frame.

Nerdy Jock
    Jun 2008
    Solid feeling frame. Liked it a lot, until I got my fs bike

Sent from my fingers.
    Current bike: Rocky Mountain ETS-X 70

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MX4U View Post
    Good entry level bike on a $400 budget. The weak links are the cranks, brakes, and fork. Otherwise it is a decent trail rider. By the time you upgrade parts, you may be better off starting with a bare frame.
    Oh yeah, i am just interested in the frame. I have everything else. I was just after a more relaxed geometry hardtail and the Komodo frame was an option.... which there arent many that are fairly inexpensive.

I wear two thongs
    I love mine! Can be built up into a nice AM hardtail, or even used for some light DH as well since Jamis says you can run a 160mm fork on it. Ive built mine with DH wheels and a Lyric and used it for DH and its fun, but currently I ride it with a 140mm Sektor and I think I've found its true niche. The frame is really stout and pretty damp for an AL frame. One of the downfalls is the short rear triangle makes the front end a bit more prone to lifting on steeper climbs but once you get used to it its easily corrected with body positioning. I've got the older yellow and black 3.0 frame. Just did over 2000ft of climbing, with an equal amount of technical decending on it yesterday and it was very manageable on the accent and even more fun on the way back down. It's a very playful bike.
    Hiking is just walking where its okay to pee... Sometimes old people go hiking by accident. -Demetri Martin-