mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Thoughts on 2012 Jamis XCT 3?

I want to get into mountain biking in 2013 (road biker here) and have been doing a lot of research, and have my heart set on 650b. But, the entry price point on these all hover around $4k and more with no discounts due to demand and limited availability.

But, I can get a carbon MB for half that though it's a 26er. Anyone who has this model, or has general opinions on Jamis bikes would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Mergetrio; 01-23-2013 at 07:36 PM.

mtbr member
    My last bike was a 2005 Dakar XLT, which I bought used in good condition. It was alright but seemed to loosen up a lot as I had it, it squeaked and creaked over bumps, it was heavy, it bobbed, the paint quality sucked. I didn't look at Jamis when replacing it.

mtbr member
    I have the XCT 4, bought it for the same reasons you did and I'm very happy. People in this forum get very upset when "marketing" terns are used, but with that in mind I'd say it's the definition of "trail" bike. More suspension and more rugged than a lightweight cross country, not as heavy duty as all mountain. For me it's a great compromise and works well on the trails I ride which have a mix of everything from short up and downs, roots, rocks, slow tech sections and flowy singletrack and fireroads.

One funny thing is I read a review of my bike which is a '11 and at that time the reviewer just could not understand the geometry. He kept harping on the slack HA of 67.5, didn't seem to get that they were going for a bike that fit "in-between" CC and AM. But if you look at all the other manufacturer's "trail" bikes in '12 and '13 it's exactly where they went.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by smithcreek View Post
    I have the XCT 4, bought it for the same reasons you did and I'm very happy. People in this forum get very upset when "marketing" terns are used, but with that in mind I'd say it's the definition of "trail" bike. More suspension and more rugged than a lightweight cross country, not as heavy duty as all mountain. For me it's a great compromise and works well on the trails I ride which have a mix of everything from short up and downs, roots, rocks, slow tech sections and flowy singletrack and fireroads.

One funny thing is I read a review of my bike which is a '11 and at that time the reviewer just could not understand the geometry. He kept harping on the slack HA of 67.5, didn't seem to get that they were going for a bike that fit "in-between" CC and AM. But if you look at all the other manufacturer's "trail" bikes in '12 and '13 it's exactly where they went.
    Thanks for your thoughts with a reality check!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've had Jamis's since the middle 90's, always loved their FS bikes. Had several Dakars, last one was Dakar XLT. They are great bikes for the price. I ride a lot, and have never experienced any of the broken chainstays, pivots loosening etc. I maintain my bikes, but I'm not a fanatic either.

Jamis also gives a good component spec for the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Seem like great bikes.

29ers Forever
    For the price of that Jamis, consider something else.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 with full fox, 2013 for the same price as that Jamis.
    Fuel EX 7 - Trek Bicycle
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for all of your responses. I decided to hold off on a FS bike, and opted for a hard tail so that I could get more skills developed. I bought a 2013 Cannondale Trail SL3.

29ers Forever
    Is the SL3 the SS 29er, or the 26er?
    2013 Trek Cobia- 29er
    2015 Raleigh Misceo- Gravel bike
    2013 Trek 3700 Disk- 26er
    1994 Cannondale R300- narrow tire roadie

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    Is the SL3 the SS 29er, or the 26er?
    It's a 26er.