Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
    Flyboy
    I will for sure be getting one. Will be using the lever too... no cables! If it follows the same quality as other Thomson items, it will be a winner for sure.
    Pivot Mach 5.7c
    Jamis Dakar XC Pro
    Sette CX-1

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I will second that like the idea of a dropper post but for the amount of use I prefer the lack of messy cabling. Any idea on weight , price, availability etc?

mtbr member

dog
    sit! stay!
    i was hoping for a good post with an under-seat lever... i know KS makes one that i could get now... choices...
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Agreed - attachment at the head of the units is not gonna win people over. Collar actuated is what will make people stand up and take notice. And 150mm drop is much more appealing as well.

I also think KS has continued to do a better job with the bar mounted actuation lever (although hopefully the Thomson one feels better then it looks?)

I had really high hopes for this post - am admitting a bit disappointed. Looks like I will be going the KS LEV route to replace my KS i950.
    Ditto this as I am looking for a reliable external 6" post to replace my KS Supernatural that is just too finicky and maintenance intensive for me, but I came off years of using GD posts that would keep on running no matter what (If you could get past all the play at the seat clamp within a few months of replacement of course).
    Ride On!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EmbudoMatt View Post
    They all look awesome before anyone has ridden them. I'll start paying attention after people have been abusing them for a couple months.
    I agree. They all look very cool, but lets see someone throw it on a hard tail on some techy trails.
    "Bound to cover just a little more ground"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    the 2 reasons that come to mind immediately are, I believe Thomson said they felt this design was more reliable than what they could do for the cable attaching to the fixed portion - which IMO is huge because at present there isn't a post on the market that I would call reliable, at that matters more to me than a little paint wear. .
    I would definitely call the Gravity Dropper reliable.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

sapienti sat est

stealth mode ON

Thomson says they'll work on a "stealth" version once the initial release is dialed.

RideDirt
    Their handlebars look pretty nice !

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert View Post
    Thomson says they'll work on a "stealth" version once the initial release is dialed.
    Where did you hear that? If that is the case then that is great news. I will probably buy the KS LEV now and when the Elite Dropper stealth version comes out get that one too. I can then decide which post goes on mine and my wifes bikes since they have the same seat tube diameters.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BikeBert View Post
    official:

Thomson Bike Parts
    All right people: The dropper will be offered in a stealth through the frame cable model in March, at the same time as the external model. You asked, we listened!

mtbr member
    Awesome news! Go Thomson!!

lidless ascender
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    official:

Thomson Bike Parts
    All right people: The dropper will be offered in a stealth through the frame cable model in March, at the same time as the external model. You asked, we listened!
    A LEV or Kronolog-like cable placement would be better I think as it would fit more frames.And to be honest I never liked the idea of Reverb Stealth as it proves to be a PITA if you want to remove the seatpost.

I really like the look of the post though (and even more the potential of a quality product since it's coming from Thomson) so I guess there's still the option of a non-stealth version for guys like me

Marko
    I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.

Pictography

Helmetless Crasher
    I prefer the under-seat lever. I would rarely use the dropper function - MUCH less than I use ProPedal, for example. So I'd much rather do without the weight/clutter and potential for fail that a cable set-up provides.

Hopefully, Thompson does a set-back version of this post for the long-femured.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

GAME ON!
    you'd use it more if you had it.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    you'd use it more if you had it.
    Agreed. If I had to reach down under the seat to shift gears, I would do that a lot less, too.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 'size View Post
    official:

Thomson Bike Parts

Would I be admitting too much if I said this makes me.. you know... horny?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I recently had my i950 in for repairs and was stuck with a joplin 4 for a couple of weeks which did not have the remote. I found I used it way less and it was more of a hassle while riding to drop it just prior to rock sections ect. I can't imagine not having a remote after that.

Helmetless Crasher
    95% of my riding is XC.

Thus, even if the dropper function were somehow hardwired to my medulla oblongota, I'd rarely use it.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member

Setback Version

Will this design allow for a setback dropper post? All my bikes have Thomson setback seatposts to dial in my fit (long legs)...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schneidw View Post
    Will this design allow for a setback dropper post? All my bikes have Thomson setback seatposts to dial in my fit (long legs)...
    Doubt it. I don't see Thomson going to a different clamp mechanism and the bent arrangement they use for their setback normal posts obviously won't work here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Totaly agree, can't believe two companies that claim to be on the leading edge of componentry release a post with a cable attached to the top of the post. Until bike companies all start addopting stealth internal routing more companies need to wake up to the fact that having a massive loop of cable when you drop the post is a massive weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Love Thomson, but this is a fail. Just like the Fox.

Need more collar mounted actuators.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thrower78 View Post
    Until bike companies all start addopting stealth internal routing more companies need to wake up to the fact that having a massive loop of cable when you drop the post is a massive weakness.
    On the flip side, a post with a seat collar cable mount is inevitably going to be more complicated than an otherwise identical design with either internal or seat clamp routing, and I'd consider that to be a "massive weakness," particularly on a part that's already a whole lot more complicated than the alternative (i.e. a normal post). I'm all for pretty bikes but I just don't see this one as being worth the trouble. And yes, I do own a post with a moving cable mount.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    From the company making the cartridge for this post:

Robert De Rose In order for the cable to be routed at the bottom, the durability and functionality of the internals would drop. We looked at the different options; and the durability of the cable and it's use in the field was less concerning than the durability and functionality of the internals. The overall systems durability was the driver. So when given the choice of which functional aspect to go with, we choose the cylinder functionality over the cable placement. Their should be a 30.9mm, though the 31.6mm will come out first. Won't be able to make a 27.2mm size as it gets to small to fit all the components in, with the same functional requirements. Also it wouldn't meet the structural requirements at such a small diameter.
    I assume the Stealth version will get around this issue. The adj post market is filled with the wreckage of unreliable products; of course Thomson is going to make reliability a top goal. I have no routing issues w/ the Reverb cable.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    I would definitely call the Gravity Dropper reliable.
    Ditto on the Gravity Dropper. It is reliable, 400 hrs of use so far and no issues.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast