Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Scott is a tool.

Re: Thomson Elite Dropper Post Thread

Quote Originally Posted by max_croft View Post
    I just got this post a few days ago. I went with it because out of all of them, this seems to be the best out of the bunch. I did noticed the small 1mm movement that you're describing but since I only feel it when I lift my bike up and the thing is rock solid when riding, I'd be happy if this is the only issue I have with it.

Loving this post, my first dropper. How did I ride for so long without one?
    Thanks Max.

Anyone else noticing this movement? Can you feel it when you're on the bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by waldog View Post
    Thanks Max.

Anyone else noticing this movement? Can you feel it when you're on the bike?
    Yes! Damnit.

Got mine in December. A month ago, I thought it was my DU bushing or something in the shock. Few days ago realised it was the dropper. About 2mm of VERY noticeable play when I'm on flat dirt, say, and I hit a bump too small to activate the suspension. Thunk. I also have the side-to-side movement. So boo.

Have sent mine back. Living in Australia may make this hard. Very discouraging to see other people with the same problem. Also kind of discouraging to email David Parrett and be told 1-2mm of play ANYWHERE in the post is to be expected...

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had that on my previous post. I just raised it about 1mm in the frame and it was fine. Never got worse; and I never noticed it while riding. Still very happy with it.

mtbr member
    Off to warranty again. Own two Thompson droppers that were recently warrantied. Rode this one for a month and it started making a popping sound when it bottomed out after lowering. Now return is very slow. Dropper posts should be called aggravation sticks!
    Portland Off Road Navagators

mtbr member
    I have a post with some play but on the trail i can't feel it so I don't care.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Mine had some small vertical play, but sent it in and had a new one in two weeks. Thomson also send an additional cable with it, which is friggin awesome. Still very happy with my investment, especially with the level of customer service they provide.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I just got off phone with Thomson. 1 to 2 mm vertical play is normal for post to work. If it is side to side or forward and back. The black ring at bottom may not have received loctite . so you can either send it in or unscrew it clean threads and apply loctite. I have only the small vertical play when I sit down moves 1 to 2 mm to a stop. They are extremely helpful, all you have to do is call
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sdm74 View Post
    I just got off phone with Thomson. 1 to 2 mm vertical play is normal for post to work. If it is side to side or forward and back. The black ring at bottom may not have received loctite . so you can either send it in or unscrew it clean threads and apply loctite. I have only the small vertical play when I sit down moves 1 to 2 mm to a stop. They are extremely helpful, all you have to do is call
    do you notice the small vertical play when riding or just when you sit down, is that something noticiable as you unweight the saddle a bit?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mfa81 View Post
    do you notice the small vertical play when riding or just when you sit down, is that something noticiable as you unweight the saddle a bit?
    No, only when sitting. Very slight, at first I thought it was just saddle giving a little.
    12' Horsethief
    12' st-3
    96' Killer v

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hi, guys, has anyone have this happen. The seal at the collar has come out and cannot put it back, is there a trick to getting it back in. I contacted Thomson and they ask me to send it in . I am not the original owner and I assume that means no warranty for me. i would like to try to fix this myself, before I send it in and pay to have it fixed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Jesse.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Just got my post replaced. Can someone post some pics that will help me to find if I got V2?

Five5hot
    I'm looking to replace the inner wire and housing for my dropper. After researching I found that the Thomson dropper uses a 5mm brake housing and a 1.1/1.2mm inner shift cable.

Should I be looking at a brake or derailleur housing?

Anyone that replaced their cable confirm any of this? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeBokeh View Post
    I'm looking to replace the inner wire and housing for my dropper. After researching I found that the Thomson dropper uses a 5mm brake housing and a 1.1/1.2mm inner shift cable.

I had to replace my cable and asked Thomson. This is the response I received from David Parrett...

"5mm brake housing and a shifter cable will do it."
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Shimano SP41 housing and shifter cable works well also.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeBokeh View Post

I used derailleur housing and derailleur cable on my original post that shipped with the too-short housing. It has worked fine for the past year.

Ultimately, I think either brake or derailleur housing will work fine, but brake housing is often more pliable, so may do better with the "curve" from top tube to seat post head.

Five5hot
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post
    I had to replace my cable and asked Thomson. This is the response I received from David Parrett...

"5mm brake housing and a shifter cable will do it."
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    Shimano SP41 housing and shifter cable works well also.
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    I used derailleur housing and derailleur cable on my original post that shipped with the too-short housing. It has worked fine for the past year.

Ultimately, I think either brake or derailleur housing will work fine, but brake housing is often more pliable, so may do better with the "curve" from top tube to seat post head.
    Thanks for the reply fellas. Good to hear either housing will work, along with the shifter cable.

I think I'll give the brake housing a go since it's more flexible during the seastposts up and down travel.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I have about 10 rides on mine now, awesome! I like the KS LEV on other bike too, but I do like the Thomson a bit better. Less left/right play than LEV. Both posts are relatively new and play is minimal on LEV. We'll see which holds up best.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    I have about 10 rides on mine now, awesome! I like the KS LEV on other bike too, but I do like the Thomson a bit better. Less left/right play than LEV. Both posts are relatively new and play is minimal on LEV. We'll see which holds up best.
    I have 3 rides on mine so far, really liking it too. My Reverb was just becoming a real PITA, so I made the switch. I am hoping the Thompson holds up as well.

how heavy are you ??
    Would the Thomson handle bar lever work with the standard Gravity Dropper post. Say yes, with some monkey rigging!? Please
    Last edited by Scottay5150; 07-28-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    What does Marsellus Wallace look like, A BIT*H?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    For those folks who have applied their own Loctite and tightened up the collar, what type of Loctite did you use?

My collar loosened, so I sent it in for "service" and received the same post back two weeks later. After four rides, the collar is loose again, and after aggressive hand-tightening, it still loosens after a couple hours of riding. My "serviced" post was also very sensitive to seat collar torque. If I torque it to spec, the post gets stuck after dropping. There is a fine line of sufficient torque such that the post doesn't slip/twist, and low enough torque to not cause binding in the dropper.

Is it just me, or is David getting a bit surly in his email correspondence?

Five5hot
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottay5150 View Post
    Would the Thomson handle bar lever work with the standard Gravity Dropper post. Say yes, with some monkey rigging!? Please
    I'd say it would work with a bit of modifications. The Thomson lever uses the shimano/sram derailleur cable head at the lever. As opposed to the opposite with the Gravity Dropper.

Five5hot
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    For those folks who have applied their own Loctite and tightened up the collar, what type of Loctite did you use?

My collar loosened, so I sent it in for "service" and received the same post back two weeks later. After four rides, the collar is loose again, and after aggressive hand-tightening, it still loosens after a couple hours of riding. My "serviced" post was also very sensitive to seat collar torque. If I torque it to spec, the post gets stuck after dropping. There is a fine line of sufficient torque such that the post doesn't slip/twist, and low enough torque to not cause binding in the dropper.

Is it just me, or is David getting a bit surly in his email correspondence?
    I would get in touch with them again upon the on going issue and inform them that you're not satisfied with the "service" of the seatpost and ask for a replacement. I was part of the first batch of seatposts and it sounds like you're part of that crowd as well. First batch were a bit finicky upon loosened collars and seatpost play. From what I read in the forums people were receiving replacements.

I sent mine in with a 2cm up and down play. David replied to my email within a day and said to send it in. I called several days later for a status update and informed me they're sending me a replacement. Total turnaround time was 1 week (California to Georgia and back). David was pretty short with his answers in his emails but did not get a surly vibe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Hi guys,
    I have had my Thomsen dropper since early winter. I have followed this thread since my purchase. Yesterday, my post was very slow to return. In fact the post would not return without me pulling on it. Interestingly, I have been told that my post needs service. Really? After 7 months? What is this service? Has anybody else had their post "serviced"? I suppose my question will be answered soon enough when I hear back from Thomsen. However I thought perhaps someone here might know the answer.

mtbr member
    If all it needs is service after 7 months, I think you've been pretty lucky. Mountain bikes are like women, high maintenance.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 Santa Cruz Nickel LT
    '08 KTM 530
    '12 Toyota FJ TT
    '05 MiniCooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

Five5hot
    Quote Originally Posted by potterymouth View Post
    Hi guys,
    I have had my Thomsen dropper since early winter. I have followed this thread since my purchase. Yesterday, my post was very slow to return. In fact the post would not return without me pulling on it. Interestingly, I have been told that my post needs service. Really? After 7 months? What is this service? Has anybody else had their post "serviced"? I suppose my question will be answered soon enough when I hear back from Thomsen. However I thought perhaps someone here might know the answer.
    The seatpost doesn't need service, it's defective. The posts internals are not serviceable so they backed it with a two year warranty.

I had mine the same time as you (December) and like many others, had to send it in for replacement. I'm not sure if it's in my head but my replacement feels more positive and solid going through it's travel.

As I stated in an earlier post there was an apparent QC issue with the first run of droppers but their second run and beyond has seemed to resolve any problems.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast