(Mtbr Site Manager) Administrator

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Thomson Dropper Post - New Updates

Hey All,

Dave from Thomson asked me to post this on his behalf. It's a link to the Thomson website where they have the latest updates and info about their dropper post including info about the In Line Adjuster, Setback, Stealth Cable, set-up and more. Please check it out here:

Thomson | Dropper Notes-Updated July 23

Thanks,

-g

Thomson Dropper Post - New Updates-thomson-dropper.jpg
    Like us on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/Mtbrcom

Follow us on Twitter - twitter.com/Mtbr

Mtbr YouTube Channel

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update Dave!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Did they pay for this ad?

Update us with information when they have the ever-so-elusive fixed cable attachment.

Quote Originally Posted by CharacterZero View Post

Update us with information when they have the ever-so-elusive fixed cable attachment.
    This isn't an ad. It's more like a public service announcement.

mtbr member

That info is covered in the link

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Reading is tough, but sniping is easy.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    How about putting some graduations on the main post too? It comes in handy for those who like to take the post out or extend it for the bike stand.

Personally I just scratched a line on mine....not quit the same standard as laser etched though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 006_007 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ColinL View Post
    Reading is tough, but sniping is easy.
    This is a REVIEW SITE, not a click-generator. Admin posts a link to an outside company's press release?? Hardly review. If the MFG wants to participate on the forums, they should, and make a valid post so that they engage the end users.

This is a REVIEW SITE, not a click-generator. Admin posts a link to an outside company's press release?? Hardly review. If the MFG wants to participate on the forums, they should, and make a valid post so that they engage the end users.
    This is a review site and also a forum site. Not every post by an admin is required to be a review.

Manufacturers can choose to participate however they wish, same as you and me.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Come on guys...this is a good link. Any of us who have this post appreciate the TSB's.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Thanks Gregg, more good info.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    haha my post had literally every issue he addressed.. play, stripped bolt, inability to get cable tension, and to top it all off.. the occasional crunching/cracking noise!! im eagerly awaiting it's return from thomson right now

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    So, I bought a KS LEV today. I think Thomson came to the party late, and did not offer a seat clamp mounted cable end for those of us that are picky about how our bikes Look. I have Thomson stems and seat posts on both bikes, and may buy a handlebar soon. But KS Lev is cool the way they mount cable at seat clamp, and they have a good record of reliability. I was trying to see how Thomson stealth model would be, but as I have a Turner 5 Spot, the seat tube dead ends, and why would I run cable up the down tube when I can make direct run from seat clamp. Maybe I will get a Thomson dropper for my Hardtail 29er down the road if they prove to be as durable as the market leader, LEV. I really wanted to buy a Thomson, but the cost does not justify the inferior cable routing. I hope they continue to develop this product, and I can buy the best seat clamp with a dropper under it, a Thomson.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    I will admit, that KS LEV interior string is kind of lame (they call it Kevlar I guess, but unless it was built from a thread off of Supermans cape, I don't trust it long term).
    Last edited by hoolie; 09-29-2013 at 10:14 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    When will the Under saddle actuation lever be hitting the shops, their british stockist said two weeks, that is three weeks ago. And Thomson USA didn't even respond my mail on the subject.. Come on you want 50 bucks for a little lever (that should have been included in the package from the get go), what's the hold up???!

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    Picked up my LEV. Bike shop mechanic that installs alot of Lev's, installed a few Thomson dropper posts now. He said he is getting a Thomson. We both kinda laughed at me.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hoolie View Post
    Picked up my LEV. Bike shop mechanic that installs alot of Lev's, installed a few Thomson dropper posts now. He said he is getting a Thomson. We both kinda laughed at me.
    Laughed at you for not getting a Thomson?? It can't be that much better than the LEV.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    At this point I don't think it is better than the LEV. But I would have to ride both for 50 hours to see. I was going to buy a Thomson, but they don't sell the internal routed, or seat clamp mounted versions. Also, some are having minor problems with the first batch of Thomsons as I read these posts. Did they install correctly? I don't know. But my NEW Lev has the slightest side play (1 mm), and a Thomson Dropper at Wrench Science that is on a bike has zero play. Interesting. I will most likely pick up a Thomson dropper with under saddle lever for my singlespeed at some point. So, in 2015 we will see the long term reviews of Thomson. Lev has proven itself for sure. I hope all of these companies build better, more reliable dropper posts, it will be good for everyone. After install of LEV, I miss the saddle clamps of the Thomson, that is for sure. If I made a post, I would pay for license agreement for that clamp. It's the best.

Poacher
    Sep 2010
    By the way, those notes above, from Thomson are good to read, It gives me confidence that they are listening, and dealing with any minor issues. No surprise from a good company.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yeah they are definitely trying as hard as they can to have the "best" seatpost. Dave (the guy who provided all that info) seems like a VERY hard working guy

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    How do you guys mount your bikes on a workstand now that you have a Thomson dropper post?

mtbr member
    I just turn the clamp sideways and mount it on the top tube.

mtbr member
    May 2011

Using Thompson on bike stand.

1. Push post down to lengthen cable.
    2. Undo post from bike.
    3. Pull post up to expose enough of the main post for bike stand clamp.
    4. Tighten post on bike.
    5. Clamp to main post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The frame is a Carbon nomad so no clamping on toptube. Does Thomson allow clamping on main body of post?

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    With two mtb's in my household with dropper posts (me and wife), I bought one of these:

Bike Repair Stand | The Sprint Professional Work Stand

Love love love it!