mtbr member

Upset Thinking of building a new bike

Thinking of building up an Ellsworth Epiphany. I currentley own a Rush 3000. I like my bike but with all the things going on at Cannondale, It might be time to try another brand. Can anyone shed some light on the major differences and thoughts on switching brands.

mtbr member
    I think it's a bit silly to consider selling your bike because management at one company has changed hands. How do you know the change won't be for the better? Mongoose and GT have done much better in recent years under the Dorel umbrella, and Cdale could likely do better as well. Don't let rumors of Far East frame outsourcing and a potential drop in quality alter how you like your bike. I mean -- do you like your Rush or not? If you do, what does it matter? If you want a bigger bike then yeah the Epiphany gets some great reviews, though I've heard a bit too much on frame breakage for me to drop that kinda coin on one. You'd be going from 4 inches to 5.5 and from a single pivot to a multi-linkage system. Frames probably weigh about the same and you'd be spending a bit more money.

-

mtbr member

Oh no not selling

Oh no not selling just adding to my stable. Ive been a long time C-dale customer the Rush makes my 4th C-dale owned and I know the company may fair well but all of those brands you mentioned lost out and its taken them a long time to regain rider confidence. Thier status in the market will never be what it was GT, Schwinn, Mongoose used to be cutting edge companies before Doral they are niche players now. Im keeping the Rush.

Flying Goat
    ellsworth? why not turner??? much better rep imo...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce918
    Oh no not selling just adding to my stable. Ive been a long time C-dale customer the Rush makes my 4th C-dale owned and I know the company may fair well but all of those brands you mentioned lost out and its taken them a long time to regain rider confidence. Thier status in the market will never be what it was GT, Schwinn, Mongoose used to be cutting edge companies before Doral they are niche players now. Im keeping the Rush.
    Actually GT and Mongoose had long fallen from grace and under Dorel/Pacific have done much better. It may not have happened overnight but they're better off.

One could argue you should be more happy about the present management given Dorel is a bike-oriented company, whereas the last owners were a holding company, with no interest other than making money. Will you no longer buy Fox components since mangement recently sold their controlling interest?

Either way, if you have the money for a boutique brand, then obviously you have lots of options. I ride an IronHorse because if I dropped 4 grand on a bike my wife would up and leave me.

mtbr member

Torn

It's a tough decision for me. I have owned several other bikes (Fisher, Giants) and yesterday test rode a Trek EX8 (which is a nice bike) priced @$2100.00 Considering the Epi because the price on this frame is hard to beat. Fortunately my wife gave me the green light to get another bike (she claims riding keeps me sane). The Boutique part is also a bothersome, at one time most of the innovative brands (Fisher, Klien Bontrager) were small custom frame makers but couldnt compete with the corporate backed bikes. The same may happen to Ellsworth. Plus there are not many Ellsworth dealers here in central NC.

tcufrog02
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuce918
    ....Fortunately my wife gave me the green light to get another bike (she claims riding keeps me sane)...
    Maybe your wife should call mine.

mtbr member

Nice deal on Epi frame

No Turner dealers I know of in central NC Id like to ride one though

mtbr member

Turner dealers in Raliegh Charlotte and Asheville

All about a 2 hour plus drive

mtbr member

Trek ex9

Test rode a EX9 saturday ordered it today the bike is very nice plush ride and the rear end stays planted found myself staying seated and pulling hills I struggled with in the apst if you get a chance check these bikes out Trek did a fine job with this one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

What Size Fuel EX 9?

How tall are you? What size bike did you order? I am 5'9" and the LBS wants to sell me the 18.5. I am not sure if it really fits or if they want to sell it to me because they have it in stock.

mtbr member

18.5 Is what I ordered

18.5 is what Im getting we are about the same size (height the same ) I weigh lil more. I tested the 18.5 and it was spot on, riding postion is more upright than my Rush its a large by Cannondale sizing Im a little streched out on it (still a sweet ride) harder on my back