likes bicycles

Think I'll break it?

I got a Transition Bandit this year as a crash replacement on a 5 year old covert. I wanted to get the new Covert at the time, but the amount of parts that would need replaced pushed me towards a Bandit.

I was thinking that my fork was the weak link on the build, so was planning on replacing it with one of the new 34 options - the Pike or X Fusion Slant.

Fast forward to this point in the season, and I'm kinda of plugged in to the jumpy trails in the area. I'm loving the Bandit on these trails. The bike is lively enough that the little roots and rocks are features rather than small hits on the suspension. It's short and balanced in the air.

However, I'm a pretty heavy dude (205), and I'm getting concerned the bike is going to break on me with the jumps. I'm now throwing around the idea of selling the Bandit and using my fork money to get a Transition Covert.

The bike:

Sample jump:

What do you think? Am I outside of the reasonable realm for my frame? Think i could sell the bandit26 frame for a decent amount? Surely a 6" 'enduro' bike could handle this? Would it feel as lively?

Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

usually cranky
    i would say you are outside the recommended use for that frame. at some point yes, im sure it will break. really its a xc/ trail bike that is meant to stay on the ground for the most part. if you are trying to keep a similar feel maybe try a new spitfire. similar numbers but a more robust frame.

mtbr member
    Like b-kul said...it might break at some point (and maybe never, IMO) but, if it were me I would be more concerned about blowing out that shock in the short term.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Bandit definitely does love to jump! That's a tough call. The Covert is playful also but I know it doesn't have that super-flickable, almost BMX feel that the Bandit 26 has.

Also if you're landing smoothly to transitions usually I wouldn't worry too much. A well made jump is easier on the bike than hammering through a rocky section. Just keep 'er smooth and you're good!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

BLAH BLAH
    Mar 2008
    Not many Five year old coverts that are still out there... Just think light and you will be fine.... for a while. It really depends on your riding more than anything but 205 plays a pretty big factor as well. Burlier probably the better.
    Whats this line for?

likes bicycles

Re: Think I'll break it?

Quote Originally Posted by b-kul View Post
    feel maybe try a new spitfire. similar numbers but a more robust frame.
    That frame looks sick. I've got a good relationship with my shop, so if I make a move, I'd like to stick with them. They deal transition, knolly, santa Cruz, intense, kona, niner, and khs. I think that's it

Quote Originally Posted by mizzaboom View Post
    Like b-kul said...it might break at some point (and maybe never, IMO) but, if it were me I would be more concerned about blowing out that shock in the short term.
    What about the shock? It's been a solid performer when left open

Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    The Bandit definitely does love to jump! That's a tough call. The Covert is playful also but I know it doesn't have that super-flickable, almost BMX feel that the Bandit 26 has.

Also if you're landing smoothly to transitions usually I wouldn't worry too much. A well made jump is easier on the bike than hammering through a rocky section. Just keep 'er smooth and you're good!
    Dude, the bike begs for it. Such a fun ride! As you can see in the pic, there's a bit of a landing. That's the smallest transition I'm hitting regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by e-luder View Post
    Not many Five year old coverts that are still out there... Just think light and you will be fine.... for a while. It really depends on your riding more than anything but 205 plays a pretty big factor as well. Burlier probably the better.
    True. But that was the second time I broke it. As for the 205,ill prob lose a bit of weight as the season goes on, but nothing dramatic

Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    This

Jumps with good trannies are not very tough on frames. Are you a smooth rider? Do you case the **** out of everything and bottem out the shock on a regular basis? Do you do any drops to flat?
    I'm decently smooth. You have to be on trails built by free riders on a 5 inch bike. But I'm no pro. Don't really case ****, occasionally overshoot. I'm using all my travel, but not bottoming out hard. The o ring is usually on the edge of the shock but hasn't been blasted off.

Try to avoid drops to flat. There's one that's questionable, so I take the trials rear wheel first approach. The biggest thing is I'm trying to learn whips. My rear wheel is jacked about it but holds up. B-kul suggested those rims actually. But when I don't get back around its prob no bueno for my rear triangle.

mtbr member
    My comment about the shock -- I also ride a 5 inch bike, have a similar riding style as far as terrain/features go, and am a similar weight. I don't worry about my frame breaking...at all. I beat the absolute piss out of a cheap Jamis hardtail, on the same terrain/features I ride now, for 3 years before I got my Trance and I never had an issue with the frame. I come from a BMX background so the jumps/drops with transitions just call my name and I am fairly smooth.

What worries me is seeing that O-ring on the very edge of the shock all the time. I'm fairly new to FS so maybe I am over thinking it but I feel like continually using all of the travel will eventually lead to problems.
    2011 Trance x1

All good things in all good time

likes bicycles
    Im poor so my advice would be to ride it hrd as **** to make your self feel better about it..
    Me too. That's why I feel like if I'm going to make a move, it would have to be this season. Before it gets beat on much more I figure I could get $2-2.5k for it. Then a low speced Covert or something similar would be within reach. By next season, I'm sure I won't be able to get nearly that. I'd be stepping down a bit on a lot of the components if I do the move, but I guess I could address that over time.

AZ
    banned
    And if it do crack its easy to fix

Cold Weld Frame Repair!!!

That is not a fix, rather an accident looking for a place to happen. Please stop using it as an example.

mtbr member
    If you're gonna be doing a lot of jump lines and stuff, why not a Bottlerocket?

likes bicycles

Dude I finally checked out this thread.

I would never try to repair my frame like this. Talk about feeling unsafe. And I'd also never abuse my frame like that. Hot damn.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by jmallory View Post
    If you're gonna be doing a lot of jump lines and stuff, why not a Bottlerocket?
    I definitely threw the idea around, but I do a lot of climbing. And still enjoy XC rides too. There are some pretty good deals on used ones though, so haven't totally given up the idea of a second bike.

usually cranky
    looking at the brands your lbs deals a tracer in the short travel option would rock for you, might be a bit spendy though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Just stop, you don't know what the hell you're doing. Keep you half baked repairs to yourself. Hopefully no one is stupid enough to follow your advice!
    13 Lenz Lunchbox punkass

DBY
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    [QUOTE=vitale232;10488040]I got a Transition Bandit this year as a crash replacement on a 5 year old covert. I wanted to get the new Covert at the time, but the amount of parts that would need replaced pushed me towards a Bandit.

I was thinking that my fork was the weak link on the build, so was planning on replacing it with one of the new 34 options - the Pike or X Fusion Slant.

Fast forward to this point in the season, and I'm kinda of plugged in to the jumpy trails in the area. I'm loving the Bandit on these trails. The bike is lively enough that the little roots and rocks are features rather than small hits on the suspension. It's short and balanced in the air.

However, I'm a pretty heavy dude (205), and I'm getting concerned the bike is going to break on me with the jumps. I'm now throwing around the idea of selling the Bandit and using my fork money to get a Transition Covert.

I'm the same weight as you. Been riding my Bandit in the same fashion for the last 18 months with regularity. No cracks yet. Also thinking about going to a Slant fork for less deflection than comes with the Fox 32 Float 140 that I'm currently using. Love the way the frame rides, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Drops to flat I try to limit to 3' or less, but anything with transition is fair game.

likes bicycles
    Good to hear the vote of confidence. The bike is crazy fun to ride. Maybe I'll just go ahead with the new fork, STFU, and ride.

Your quote pretty much sums up how I feel about their bikes.
    Quote Originally Posted by DBY View Post
    anything with transition is fair game.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Ode to the Bicycle on Vimeo

Seems to take pretty good abuse here!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

likes bicycles

Re: Think I'll break it?

Quote Originally Posted by LostBoyScout View Post
    Ode to the Bicycle on Vimeo

Seems to take pretty good abuse here!
    I saw that over on pink bike. Awesome video!