Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    The White Jeff W

Thin, wide flat pedals

Looking for some suggestions. I put 180mm crank arms on my bike & wouldn't mind a few extra mm's of ground clearance. I also have wide feet & could use a wider platform

The Spank Spikes looks good, anything else I should be looking at?
    No moss...

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffw-13 View Post
    Looking for some suggestions. I put 180mm crank arms on my bike & wouldn't mind a few extra mm's of ground clearance. I also have wide feet & could use a wider platform

Everybody is going to tell you the Point One podiums. They are thin and wide and feel great, however I had constant issues with their bearings and the pedals had so much drag on them when pedaling that I wound up switching pedals.
    I would wait for the Specialized pedals that are coming out soon. Those seem like they are going to be amazing.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Canfield Crampons, FTW

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Did a similar comparison. Was set on the Spikes but did some searching and went with the DMR Vault pedals. Seemed to be the largest pedal i could find at 115x115. Really like them and grip is ridiculous. Best price i found including shipping was from Wiggle.com in the UK. Got em for just under $110 shipped and took 7 days to get with no problems.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Kona wah wah pedals are the widest I've found (crank to outside of pedal). Thin too

74 & 29 pilot

I've been riding these for three months and REALLY like them! 100mm wide and 16mm deep at 335 grams for $65! Shipping is not bad from the UK; That's about the only place I can find them.

Here is where I'm buying them from:
    Echo TR Platform 2011 (including pins)

MTBP
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thin, wide flat pedals-large_trplatform20112.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by MTB Pilot; 10-08-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Those are sweet... they look like my Premium Slims.. great pedals!

mtbr member
    Point1 Pedals.

RideDirt
    deity Decoy 2.5 Pedals

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJDOG View Post
    Kona wah wah pedals are the widest I've found (crank to outside of pedal). Thin too
    Syntace has a new pedal coming out that comes in three sizes and looks awesome. The biggest size is a monstrous 97mm x 111mm.
    Here some pics:

Eurobike 2011 - Syntace NumberNine Custom Pedale 2012 im Fahrbericht - MTB-News.de | IBC Mountainbike Forum

Dinner for wolves
    Deity decoys, Kona Wah, Answer Rove...all good HTi clones. Just a great big thin flat pedal. Can't go wrong (unless you buy a version with set screw pins like I did). Those Echo jawns are pure sex, though.
    Responds to gravity

Dinner for wolves
    I should add that the original Straightlines and Speedplay Drilliums are like ballroom dance floors...they may violate the "thin" directive, though.
    Responds to gravity

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I took my kona wah wahs, retapped the threads, and slapped in some Straitline pins. Talk about grip!

I <3 bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    I took my kona wah wahs, retapped the threads, and slapped in some Straitline pins. Talk about grip!
    Pics please. I run wah wahs and I'm pretty happy with them. Shoes make a huge difference though. Had tons of grip with my previous shoes (NB trail running), but they were discontinued and I have yet to find a shoe to complement the pedals. I won't go the skate shoe route because, to me, they are not comfortable; though, the Teva Links looks like it might be worth a shot.

Back on topic: I'm on my second pair of wah wahs and have no complaints. Only reason I'm on set two is b/c I wanted the white pair to go with my then new bike. Sold the first pair to a buddy who still runs them...well, they are on his bike; he just doesn't ride anymore. Haven't had to rebuild either set. Solid product.
    Another friend bought a pair of StraitLines recently. I gave them a try. Tons of grip, but noticeably thicker profile in comparison to the wah wah.

mtbr member
    Made the same - 180 cranks(Deore XT) with Point One Podiums. They were very comfortable but the second replacement just died wast week. They are wider also and can catch obstacles when tilting the bike or riding trough channels.
    At the end I moved back to 175s because 180s starts to hurt knees and overall I tired quickly.
    PS interesting: Eurobike 2011 – Hope Pedale und DH-Kassette
    Last edited by codename47; 10-09-2011 at 06:36 AM.

mtbr member
    Wellgo MG-1's: magnesium, lights, thin, ample and unexpensive.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    LIght and inexpensive yes (I have two pairs) but by today's standards they're hardly "thin". They are also prone to losing pins to rock strikes as the magnesium is a a bit soft.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by morandi View Post
    Syntace has a new pedal coming out that comes in three sizes and looks awesome. The biggest size is a monstrous 97mm x 111mm.
    Here some pics:

Eurobike 2011 - Syntace NumberNine Custom Pedale 2012 im Fahrbericht - MTB-News.de | IBC Mountainbike Forum
    Cool find. If I remember wah wah measured 4.25"/108mm.

Wonder if they measure to the spindle, or to the corners

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    LIght and inexpensive yes (I have two pairs) but by today's standards they're hardly "thin". They are also prone to losing pins to rock strikes as the magnesium is a a bit soft.
    i just killed my second pair. first pair seized up after 2 seasons (cant complain a bit) and the most recent pair, i have lost a ton of pins. I figure I will try something else out. MG1s are a great AM, occasional FR/DH pedal. For straight DH, they might last a weekend rock gardens.

Might also want to look into the nukeproof electrons. light, wide, thin and cheap. They are plastic, but I heard they are strong. I am planning on trying a set out.

The White Jeff W
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Those are what im looking to replace. Thanks, though
    No moss...

High Desert MTBer
    Have you looked at the new Tioga MT Zero? Certainly fit the 'thin' criteria... not sure how they'd hold up to abuse tho yet...
    It's all Here. Now.

mtbr member
    DMR Vaults. Huge platform for my size 13 foot. thin, 400g/pair. Have been great on my do all bike (Allmtn-DH use)
    6'5" 230lbs
    My Build: Vitalmtb - Bike Check

mtbr member

Forte Pedal

Performance Forte Platforms from Performance Bikes
    Wide, thin, super grippy, and inexpensive. I think I paid $40

Team Chilidog!
    I have the Straitlines. Came off the Speedplays, which are not nearly as thin. Oh, and the Straitlines grip like no ones business. Never had a pedal before where I had to pick up my foot in order to move it on the pedal before.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Wellgo B-132's are awesome. They are pretty thin, 354g light, and can take a serious beating...
    Pricepoint right around $50.00 a pair. Not exactly sure of the width, but wider than my HT's that's for sure...

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast