mtbr member
    Dec 2017

Is there something that I should do after dropping my bike in a creek?

I went riding on a muddy day, and ended up losing control. My bike was flown into a creek up to the hubs.

So far I dried everything down. But should I take the hubs completely apart and check them?

mtbr member
    I wouldn't.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    If they were full of grease, they are likely fine. If you don’t know how much grease is in them, then I would take them apart and service them soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Out spokin'
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    I wouldn't.
    I’m with MSU Alum, I wouldn’t unless the hubs spent significant time underwater &/or spun while under. Now as for defining “significant”...
    =sParty
    disciplesofdirt.org

We don't quit riding because we get old.
    We get old because we quit riding.

mtbr member
    I would ride it. You could store it somewhere extra warm overnight (next to furnace?) or put a heat lamp on it to drive out any moisture.
    07 Kona Dawg Supreme
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    It never hurts to take care of your stuff. If you haven't done it in the past 12 months, I'd use it as an opportunity to do so.

nvphatty
    I would take it back and rinse repeat

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    I only had the bike for one month. Only spent maybe a full second in creek water.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Should be fine then (assuming it’s a brand new bike and not a used one that you got).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by John445 View Post
    I only had the bike for one month. Only spent maybe a full second in creek water.
    It'll be fine. You'd get more water in the hubs riding in the rain.

Mudhorse
    I had the same issue last weekend, except my bike went for a paddle in the sea. There's a coastal path that sometimes floods when the tide is freakishly high, but I've always managed to keep my feet dry by ratcheting the pedals. On Saturday, however, a combination of high tide, storm surge and snowmelt meant that the flooding was much deeper than I estimated and by the time I worked this out I was fully committed. I had to pedal properly in one section to keep from getting washed into a marsh by the strong side current - so my shoes got soaked - and it was deep enough to submerge my BB, axles and RD. I'd just fitted a shiny new BB too: crap!

I was due to replace my rear wheel and freehub bearings anyway, so after a couple of days of the bike sitting in a nice warm house I serviced the back wheel and popped the seals off the old bearings to see how much water remained. I couldn't see any evidence of water at all, just the usual mix of grease, dirt and bearing dust. Also my jockey wheels are spinning even more freely than before... hopefully the sea has just washed the dirt behind the endcaps out and left a bit of lube in the bearings.

In short, I'm in agreement with the other respondents: in these days of stainless steel bearings you should be fine, and any water that finds its way in should eventually be able to find its way out again.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Sometimes in Winter where the mud is frozen all around the rig i use a steam cleaner. So no worries up to now.

Riding through salty water i would rinse the bike with clean water afterwards.

Mudhorse
    Quote Originally Posted by quite.right
    Riding through salty water i would rinse the bike with clean water afterwards.
    That's a very good idea. Even if your bearings are stainless* and the seawater evaporates out there will be abrasive salt crystals left behind. There's also the heightened risk of galavanic corrosion as seawater is a great electrolyte, so watch out for aluminium seatposts in carbon frames and aluminium nipples on carbon rims. Lastly, I have found that nothing makes disc brakes squeal louder than seawater contamination.

Don't worry, my bike got its usual thorough soapy scrubbing and hosedown after its seaside paddle. It gets one or two such bathings every week and it doesn't cause any bearing issues, though I do find water and mud work their way down the seat tube, eventually collecting in the bottom bracket.

*One of the freehub bearings in the Hope Pro4 isn't stainless because of its higher loading so it's not safe to assume that all your bearings will be rustproof. Also, stainless steel does oxidise, it just takes longer. A2 stainless is the cheaper workaday grade, but for salt water exposure A4 stainless is recommended.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

mtbr member
    Years ago we were doing a canal ride and going over the Avon aqueduct one of the guys decided to use his bike to see how deep the water was! He held the bike by the back wheel and dipped the bike into the water until it was fully submerged. What an idiot.

Is there something that I should do after dropping my bike in a creek?-f61d9d5cbc5577f31c38a978728cf322.jpg
    Is there something that I should do after dropping my bike in a creek?-avon_aqueduct_alt3.jpg