mtbr member
    Jul 2011

is there a difference between 2x9 and 2x10 cranksets?

I want to change to a 2x9 vs my current 3x9, but a majority of the 2x cranksets available state 2x10. Is there a difference? Common sense says NO, but I figure I would ask.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Why? You dint need new cranks. Just set the limt screw on the front derailleur to not shift past the middle ring. No need to change shifters. Then remove the.44 ring and replace it with a bashguard. Then shorten your chain a few links as it doesnt need to be that long any more. Then get a blackspire stinger chain tensioner to keep the chain from jumping. 50-60 bucks total to set it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    Why? You dint need new cranks. Just set the limt screw on the front derailleur to not shift past the middle ring. No need to change shifters. Then remove the.44 ring and replace it with a bashguard. Then shorten your chain a few links as it doesnt need to be that long any more. Then get a blackspire stinger chain tensioner to keep the chain from jumping. 50-60 bucks total to set it up.
    What he said.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    And if you want a compact deraileur the shimano slx665 or 667 depending if you need a top or bottom swing. is still available which works for 9 spd chains. 60 bucks. Thas what i did and the whole set up works flawless.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    Feb 2012

Re: is there a difference between 2x9 and 2x10 cranksets?

A 10sp chain is a little narrower than a 9spd one. So, a crank for 2x10 or 3x10 will have narrower chainring spacing than a 3x9 one. You're probably right that no one makes a dedicated 2x9 crank spaced for a 9spd. I have never seen one. If you run a 2x10 or 3x10 crank with your 9sp rear and 9sp chain, it might not work perfectly, for example when in your granny, and in higher gears on the rear, the outside edge of the chain might drag on the big ring. But, not sure, i have never tried it so i really don't know.

But, one way to do it is to take a 3x9 crank, remove the big ring, and turn down that limit screw all the way, i have a friend that does this, and it mostly works but he says the limit doesn't go as far as he'd like and it almost allows him to drop the chain off to the starboard side. Your middle ring (which is now your biggest ring) may be too small for your liking, but you can buy an aftermarket middle which is bigger, but if the jump from little to big is too large it won't shift up, so you're probably looking at getting two new rings.

One way to get around limit screw issue is the newer xtr front shifters with a 2x and 3x switch. Even though those are 10sp spaced shifters, they will probably work on your 9sp crank because the lower limit screw controls where the derailleur rests on the port side, and the cable tension and barrel adjuster control how far over one click is. But again, never tried it. Hope that helps and maybe someone more authoritative can reply.
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I used a 2X10 crank in 2X9 duty for a few months before going 10 speed and it worked fine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I thought about swapping the big ring for a bash, then uping my 32t for a 36t. But do I really want to upgrade a $50 crankset? Just adding a bash and a bigger ring doubles the value of what I have now. Ive been searching around, and there are some good deals on the SLX 36/22t w/bash and BB that I may go with. I should have been more specific by stating...could I use a 2x SLX or XT crankset and keep my 9spd cassette without issues?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I believe you can.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    If your commiting to 9 speed. The slx 665 crankset is basically there triple with a bash instead of the 44. You can get any triple and convert it.
    The 665 and 667 front deraileur is the only compact cage 2x derailleur i could find for 9 spd. Everybody seem to just go 10sp when doing doubles. Most 2x9 setups seem to be conversions using a triple deraileur. I wanted to go 2x10 but that meant crankset, both deraileurs, shifters, cassete. The coversion was way cheaper. The only differense i could find between 10 and 9 was one more cog and the largest cog is 36 not 34and the 9 speed chain is technically thicker

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    It sounds like the tolerance for the front rings and especially only 2 would be close enough. Theoretically the.2x10 would be a smidge closer together. I suppose if your intention is to evetually get the shifters deraileurs and.cassete in 10sp. I would go that way. Otherwise i would just get an 3x9 xt or somthing and just swap the 44 for bash. Then get the slx 665 or 667 derailleur for tighter shifteing and be done with it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    The pnly time i spin out the 32 ring is wide open fire rds. Never had a problem on singletrack.