Muhuhahaha

New question here. tell me if Im correct in my thinking.

As I am just starting to mnt bike, I can't afford outright to get a AM. SO tell me if Im right here or not. If I find a bike that is good for entry level and a frame that is good for me. Then after getting some exp. with it. What do I need to be able to make highier drops? A really good fork, wheels and tires? Or dose the frame have to be beater too to get into more ruff riding. I want to stick with a hard tail so please no FS comments right now. Thanks

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Quote Originally Posted by Demonsmasher
    As I am just starting to mnt bike, I can't afford outright to get a AM. SO tell me if Im right here or not. If I find a bike that is good for entry level and a frame that is good for me. Then after getting some exp. with it. What do I need to be able to make highier drops? A really good fork, wheels and tires? Or dose the frame have to be beater too to get into more ruff riding. I want to stick with a hard tail so please no FS comments right now. Thanks
    In terms of hardtails, I would agree with your thoughts. If you were to get a DECENT entry level frame (with entry level parts hanging off it) and eventually spring for a better fork and wheels (and maybe brakes and shifters), you can build something that will ride just as well as if you had gotten a nice ($$) hardtail from the beginning. The one caveat I would throw in is that entry level frames are generally a little heavier than more expensive ones, so you will most likely be carting around an extra pound or so in frame weight.

This is kinda a trade off. In the long run, you would be better off spending a little more up front and getting better parts (say spending $1000) than buying a $600 bike and then later spending $700-800 later to get the same quality of parts as the $1000 bike. However, going the $600-then-spend-more-later route gets you on a bike now vs. waiting and saving more $$. How badly do you want to ride this summer (vs waiting and saving more)?

mtbr member
    A lot of companies use the same frame for 3 or so different models of their bikes. The difference between the $600 and the $1000 bike in the same line will be the components. If you have experience with, say, dirt jumping, and think you will go straight to abusing the hell out of your bike, getting better components from the start might be the way to go. If you're planning on working your way slowly into abusing your machine, then buy the cheapest bike you can that has the frame you want. Upgrade components as you break them. There's plenty of good weather left this summer/fall. Get out there.

banned

Dude...Its not about the bike!

Dude...who cares about the bike....just drink lots of mountain dew, use words like "pimped" "sick" and "gnarcore" and you will be as All Mountain as you can be. All Mountain is a way of life, and a state of mind. Free your mind, and the bike will follow

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah, good words of advice below. If your new to mtb just get the best bargain that you can afford. Not much difference between bikes these days. Tell the Bike Shop what riding you will be doing. If you get hooked (and you will) the word "bling" will also add to your vocabulary as you realise how much you have to spend on your next bike !

Quote Originally Posted by JrockFeltaz
    Dude...who cares about the bike....just drink lots of mountain dew, use words like "pimped" "sick" and "gnarcore" and you will be as All Mountain as you can be. All Mountain is a way of life, and a state of mind. Free your mind, and the bike will follow

Muhuhahaha
    getting outside is my main goal first. If I show my wife I will use a bike then spending more later on will not be a problem.

banned
    getting outside is my main goal first. If I show my wife I will use a bike then spending more later on will not be a problem.

Trust me...you are going to fight with your wife about your bike regardless of what you spend on it. Buy the best bike you can afford.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    A good bike is a major expedature. Your wife will take notice !!!

Muhuhahaha
    Yea I'm going to get the best bike I can afford, but wanted to make shure buy upgrading it, I could do more thing with it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Yea I'm going to get the best bike I can afford, but wanted to make shure buy upgrading it, I could do more thing with it.
    You may want to check out a used bike, something like 2 or 3 years old from the classifieds or ebay. You can usually get more bang for the buck. I rode an Azonic Steelhead all last year. It was terrible on the climbs b/c of the dirt jump geo but it descended great. HT's are cool because you have to ride a lot smoother if you want to go fast, then you step up to a FS and just kill it.

I don't know much about it, but this seems to be a pretty nice cheap AM HT frame...

http://www.adrenalinebikes.com/store...3A%20ON%20SALE

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    LBS floor stock clearances as well...

Muhuhahaha
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    LBS floor stock clearances as well...
    Thats what I'm looking at now. Anyone know how long clearances sales usely run for LBS?

Chillaxin 'n Chilcotin!
    Thats what I'm looking at now. Anyone know how long clearances sales usely run for LBS?
    Depends on the bike shop. Most will have their 2006 bikes on sale until they sell them off so it's not really a case of how long the sale will last, but how long will your size of bike stay on the floor.

GT Dirt Coalition
    I did this: bought a taiwanese clone from a co-worker for real cheap. Rode it hard enough to start breaking things (6 months or so), started throwing money at it and my wife just told me to go get a good LBS bike that was something I wanted. The old nickel and dime approach..... :-)

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    It does work that way, but the frame has to handle the abuse in the first place, too! You cannot buy a XC bike designed for a 80mm fork and slap in a MZ FR150 afterwards... it'll quite likely snap sooner or later...