mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Tallest person on MEDIUM Kona Process 153? Fit help please.

I'm just shy of 6' tall (5'-11.5") with an inseam of 34" from crotch to floor......or, 31" from crotch to ankle.

From the Kona size chart, it looks like I could go medium or large...but the two bike shops indicated that large might be better. I've ridden a medium and it felt fine to me (though I did not have seat high enough and I didn't bother to raise it during my short ride).

Any way, I have found a used 2014 153 in medium. I want to buy it (I can save $1500 over new) but not if the seat won't go high enough...or if there is some other serious detrimental reason.

Anyone my size, or close to, on a medium? Other thoughts?

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    I am on a small Process, but am sized for med I am 5'7". I always liked to ride small frames, which is why I bought one. At first the fit was what I expected no different than my old bikes. After several months of owning the bike I've started touching knees to the bars ONLY when slamming side to side on tight S-turns. I never did that before and I know it's happening because of my lack of smooth. At this point I wish I could size up, but not enough to spend any money. For you it is tuff, $1500 is enough to go with less than optimum fit. I will probably install a longer stem someday, I am hesitant simply because the 40mm they specked on it is part of the reason these bikes are so awesome, but I know a longer stem will solve my sometimes problem. I say go for the med. One more thing is the wheel set. Check the used bike against the new one. If the new one has stronger or lighter wheels than I would just buy it and get the large.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'7" and ride a medium. You have 4+ inches on me. I'd say you'd probably fit a large better (not what you want to hear, but my 2 pennies). You gain 1.75 inches of seat tube and both an inch of reach and top tube length. These bikes are designed to run short 35-45mm stems.

That being said, if it's not too much trouble, then test ride it again. Make sure you can extend the seatpost enough to get full leg extension and not go past the min mark. A 150mm dropper may be the answer to this problem. A lot of people like a smaller bike feel, but IMO, this bike should be ridden to size. It's such a good performing frame. Good luck.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    You have normal to long legs for your height and don't have a long torso.
    You need to test ride or demo and adjust the seat and look at the stem length and bar width also. Putting wider bars on eats up cockpit space and may get you on a medium.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't have a Process, but I'm almost exactly your height (just shy of 6') and just bought a medium Kona Taro. I have always ridden large frames, and was really surprised that the medium Kona felt so right. I even left and came back another day to re-ride the medium before I pulled the trigger. Obviously a hardtail is going to be a different ride than a Process, but assuming Kona's sizing is semi-consistent across their lineup, I don't think you're crazy for feeling good on a medium.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think you will be the over the limit with the dropper post max height.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm 5'11" with a 30"inseam and my medium Process 153 is the perfect fit. This bike rocks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    These bikes are designed with short wheelbase, long top tube, short stem, you WILL need a large without question that whole i like my frames small is only good on very old school geometries not like the kona

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks for the input, everyone! To add to it, I decided to call Kona direct. The guy seemed a bit humored, if not annoyed, that I'd ask. Basically told me what I already know: I fit both. Try both and go from there. Problem is, I can not try both without driving at least 2 hours...or close to 4 hrs if the closer dealer doesn't have both sizes.

I did express my concern with exceeding the dropper post height on the medium and he confidently said it wouldn't be an issue.

Additionally, the guy with the $2000 153 has not returned my phone call which leads me to believe he has already sold it. That leaves me with another used medium 153 demo for $2700...but tax and shipping bump it up to ~$3050. One dealer told me he could knock 10% off a new one which, with tax, would only be ~$200 more.

Doesn't seem to make much sense saving ~$200 to buy a demo bike sight unseen. Perhaps I could get the dealer selling the demo to come down a bit more.......

mtbr member
    You're supposed to be on a large at your size. If you dont like the large, the kona might not be for you. They designed it as a long bike, going small kinda defeats the reason to buy that bike.

You can anyway, but its something to consider. Just saying you shouldnt buy an intentionally long bike if you want a short bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fishugly View Post
    Thanks for the input, everyone! To add to it, I decided to call Kona direct. The guy seemed a bit humored, if not annoyed, that I'd ask. Basically told me what I already know: I fit both. Try both and go from there. Problem is, I can not try both without driving at least 2 hours...or close to 4 hrs if the closer dealer doesn't have both sizes.

I did express my concern with exceeding the dropper post height on the medium and he confidently said it wouldn't be an issue.

Additionally, the guy with the $2000 153 has not returned my phone call which leads me to believe he has already sold it. That leaves me with another used medium 153 demo for $2700...but tax and shipping bump it up to ~$3050. One dealer told me he could knock 10% off a new one which, with tax, would only be ~$200 more.

Doesn't seem to make much sense saving ~$200 to buy a demo bike sight unseen. Perhaps I could get the dealer selling the demo to come down a bit more.......
    Kona offers a lifetime warranty (on the frame) to original owners. Probably worth the extra $200. Just more food for thought.
    The cake is a lie.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    So I have some posts in the 2015 Kona Process 153 thread in the Kona forum and you can see my experiences there. I am about 5' 10.5" and have been on a Large 153 for just about a year. The 2014 had a setback dropper that I had the seat slammed all the way forward on, and I felt too stretched out and not as playful as I wanted.

I demoed a medium 2015(non set back post) because I was thinking about swapping frames out but I was banging my knees, had the seat slammed all the way back and couldn't get the seatpost out far enough to pedal comfortably(needed maybe 1" past min). I had it extended almost a cm past to try it but needed more.

Maybe with a 150mm reverb steath and a 50mm stem it would have been good to go but the cost of swapping frames seemed to great when it may not work.

I ended up staying with the large, going with the 150mm non setback reverb, and a 30mm stem and I like the bike ALOT more now. I wish I could get the front end easier to pop with the longer stem but it is pretty playful now. Sometimes a bit twitchy though. I feel like I can climb better with the front more planted, and can get up techy obstacles easier now too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks, guys!

And, re the Kona forum, I wasn't even aware that there was one here. Suppose I should pay more attention!

mtbr member
    As others have said. Go large! I am 6'1" and a large is perfect for me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Got a large today. Thanks, everyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by fishugly View Post
    Got a large today. Thanks, everyone.
    Congratulations! Does that mean you bought the new bike?

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by cjsb View Post
    Congratulations! Does that mean you bought the new bike?
    Thanks, and yes. I got a new one. Tough for me to justify buying a used one sight unseen that didn't save that much more than new.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    hi, im 5' 5" guy eyeing for 2016 process 153, should I get small or medium frames. mostly rides smooth jumps and some technical trail

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'd vote for small, I'm 5'10 on a medium & it feels great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    I'm 5'5 and ride a small 2015 process 153.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Mckinley View Post
    I'm 5'5 and ride a small 2015 process 153.
    ok thanks man.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    thanks for thethe reply man

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm 5'10" and rented a large process for a day at a bike park. It fit me well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    I'm 5'10" and rented a large process for a day at a bike park. It fit me well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    im probably 5'6 with shoes on, I really hope medium frame can fit me well.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by aliezri View Post
    You are gona have a great fit. I'm same height as you and been on a Small over 2 years, I've checked out a Med and loved it.
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I think it will be perfect for you. I'm sure the large would be too big. It fit me well and I'm 5'10" w/o shoes. Didn't have a lot of extra room with a 150mm dropper either. Depending on leg length you may need a 125mm dropper.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by BikePilot1 View Post
    I think it will be perfect for you. I'm sure the large would be too big. It fit me well and I'm 5'10" w/o shoes. Didn't have a lot of extra room with a 150mm dropper either. Depending on leg length you may need a 125mm dropper.
    got my 153 2016 today size m, perfect fit. thanks guys!!.climb abit sluggish coming from lapierre zesty but not so bad.the geometry really make sense during the descent. love it!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    got my 153 2016 today size m, perfect fit. thanks guys!!.climb abit sluggish coming from lapierre zesty but not so bad.the geometry really make sense during the descent. love it!!
    I bet you notice a diff between those 2 bikes; climbing=more work and descending= more fun. For the 1st year I used the blue lever on my RT Monarch, it gives a platform not full lockout. Great help in steadying the bike while climbing, but it also cuts into the awesome traction a Process has, so on rough techy climbs it was not helping. After those 1st months I learned to focus on pedaling smoothly. Yes other bikes climb 'better' or easier, but I've found with good legs and lungs I usually don't get dropped by my pals, even the guy on the Scoot Spark. You know what happens on the downs. ha
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jim c View Post
    I bet you notice a diff between those 2 bikes; climbing=more work and descending= more fun. For the 1st year I used the blue lever on my RT Monarch, it gives a platform not full lockout. Great help in steadying the bike while climbing, but it also cuts into the awesome traction a Process has, so on rough techy climbs it was not helping. After those 1st months I learned to focus on pedaling smoothly. Yes other bikes climb 'better' or easier, but I've found with good legs and lungs I usually don't get dropped by my pals, even the guy on the Scoot Spark. You know what happens on the downs. ha
    4 days riding and still amazed how well it behaves in the descent esp when airborne

mtbr member
    I sell those a and I would def put you on a Large. I ride an extra large at 6'1" but I like long bikes.