mtbr member

Table Top Basics

Hello all. I spoiled myself and moved to South Lake Tahoe. Been on a trail called Lower Corral lately. I like cruising over the table tops there but they are ginormous! I'm looking to try and catch a little air on my approach. Clearing them is about 10 feet across, not happening

Just need some basics. As I get up to the approaching edge I always pick up speed but need beginner basics at this point to build confidence in feeling the air and landing. Tips welcome

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Go get this guys book: Lee Likes Bikes. "Mastering Mountain Bike Skills". It will help.
    Start small and work your way up. Learn how to pump. Jumping is just an extension of pumping. Relax your body.

mtbr member
    make some little ones and practice

watch guys race on YouTube too. its all there
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    The biggest thing for me was looking at the shape of them and thinking I needed to "line drive" them (wrong). Add more height by imagining them as small steep hills and then mimick that path with your bike by pulling up on the bars as you leave the lip and rotate the bike back down for landing by pushing down on the bars at the apex. All while keeping super loose and sucking the bike up into your body in the air then extending for landing. A lot to process so start small and move up from there. Bottom line is practice - lots of it because reading ain't gonna get you there! Also, if you're coming up short you can make it sometimes by really pushing hard and extending the bike forward over the lip on landing (gets the rear wheel on the transition and not on the top which can pitch you OTB). And when in doubt, go faster!

Have FUN!

G MAN
    "There's two shuttles, one to the top and one to the hospital" I LOVE this place!!!

mtbr member
    Thanks so much! I actually have the biking book. Need to do some studying on utube and apply. I was there again today and pushed faster at the tabletops. Caught a little air on one and it felt good as I did suck up the bike under me. Have to remember that tip about pushing the front bar down so no crazy follow thrus.

If your ever exploring South Shore Tahoe my downhill today was Armstrong Connector to Corral. Can car shuttle there on a paved road to exploit downhill fun. All single track and Armstrong Connector is through the boulders and trees, beautiful and doable for anyone of intermediate technical skills. More tips welcome is anything was missed.

Airborne Flight Crew
    Once you are comfortable going off the lip, keeping straight and in control, the only thing to do is go faster. That's it, speed. If you're pulling the bike up, sucking it up, all that.... Going faster solves those. They are useful tools in the box of course, but don't overcomplicate it either. Most of all, just keep practicing.
    Airborne Flight Crew

Jerry Hazard website