mtbr member

Switching from XC to all mountain. Shoes/Pedals

Ive been riding clipless for over a year now. Its been a hard transition for me coming from a BMX/DH background. I'm not sure what a good Flat setup would be, Shoes/pedals. Also in All mountain is there really any benefits to riding with clipless pedals?
    When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Interested to see responses. Been riding clipless for a long time when i was doing more XC, but now that I am doing a little more AM with a new ride, should i think about switching to flats

Vincit qui patitur
    I ride clipless on my XC and recently I got into AM and I use Spank Spike platforms and DC shoes for that. I couldn't go with 510s since they are not wide enough for my feet.
    I went platforms because I dab a lot while riding AM.
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 GT Karakoram 3.0
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2013 Giant Defy
    2012 Access TCL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    I ride clipless on my XC and recently I got into AM and I use Spank Spike platforms and DC shoes for that. I couldn't go with 510s since they are not wide enough for my feet.
    I went platforms because I dab a lot while riding AM.
    Yeah I didn't even think about DC shoes. I need to look into a local shop and see how 510s fit.
    When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.

mtbr member
    If you're already used to clipless, I'd stick to that. Unless you're planning to hit gaps and do things where you need to eject quickly, clipless works just fine.
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    I took a nasty fall today. Fell 8 eight feet from a tree gap. I couldn't get out quick enough is why this has become a subject.

I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Nov 2011
    Clipless on AM? Unless you have a death wish, stick with flats - especially since you are used to them.

Shoes - 5.10's are a must. Grippy and stiff. Although I have been known to use Chucks for shorter rides...

Pedals - Personally I still love my Shimano DX's, but I hear good things about the Shimano Saint pedals too.
    I don't care what you ride or how you ride just as long as you ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Ride with what feels comfortable and not people say you should be using. I bought some Saint pedals to try out and looked at some 5.10s as well but ended up going back to clipless, just feels right for me. When I'm in riding in wet and muddy conditions I rather be on clipless pedals with no chance of slipping off the pedals. The tracks I ride have nearby 4wd tracks for heading back up the hill which are steep and become very muddy during the winter months. My shoes with the studs in the front offer a lot more grip than a 5.10 sole.

mtbr member
    Personally, I switch back and forth between clipless and flats pretty regularly. Both serve their purpose.

I'm a big fan of my 5.10 shoes (picked up a pair on clearance for $50, deals are out there) like pretty much everyone. For pedals, I've had great luck with Xpedo, currently running the Spry. As far as bang for the buck, I don't think lighter more durable pedals can be found for the money.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    5.10 free-riders and dmr vaults. all my pedal/shoe problems solved.

mtbr member
    I agree to ride with what makes you feel most comfortable on the bike. For me, it is 5.10 free riders and Wellgo MG-1 pedals. I have never had a problem with my feet slipping off the pedals (after I got used to riding flats again, I was on clipless for years, there was a bit of a learning curve at first).

Some people like the feeling of being "attached" to their bike, some people like the freedom and immediate release of being on flats. Do what works for you.
    You have to earn your downs...

mtbr member
    if you ride rough stuff (big rocks/boulders etc) or if you like to throw your foot down and drift, id ride flats. a millisecond could save your azz from a broken body or bike or make drifting with your foot down easier
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I ride both but have been bothered with the lack of width in the 5-10's. What are DC shoes and do they come wide or are you buying a wide version ? thanks

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunyata View Post
    I agree to ride with what makes you feel most comfortable on the bike... Some people like the feeling of being "attached" to their bike, some people like the freedom and immediate release of being on flats. Do what works for you.
    ^^^^ This. I ride everything clipped in, including DH. Other people I know ride flats all the time. We're all having a good time. Do what you like.