mtbr member
    May 2008

swing arm slack on FS

How much play or slack is normal if any on the swing arm pivot point of a FS bike?

banned
    none

odd question

mtbr member

Zero!

I have a 5 year old Turner on the original bushings and a Foes Fly with 4 years on its second set of bearings and there is no slack; even when Foes said they needed to replace the bearings on the Fly there wasn't any slack.
    Stop riding and get new bearings; if it's not too late allready.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I have a low end mongoose bike, shame on you if you mock me or spit on me......... anyway I am mechaniclly inclined and can do this myself if I knew where to get the parts. I did searching online and its next to none of finding your own bike parts.

Anyone know where I could look to get my own bearings or bushings for the swingarm?
    And I dont have a LBS any place close to where I live.

ups and downs
    Which model, department store or bike shop low end? The lower end bikes might only use bushings. Enduro has bearing kits for a Teocali, and they sell individual suspension bearings. If you need bushings then the hunt could be more challenging.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    First, have you identified exactly which of the pivots is shot? Second, is this a long-term fix? Bearings can be replaced if you can find a distributor (locally or on-line); bushings, as mentioned before, may pose more problems. I've actually used a thin strip of aluminum (cut very carefully from a soda can) as sort of a "shim" filling a tiny bit of play in a shock-mount eyelet - this was intended as a "temporary fix" but since the bike's a secondary ride now it still has the "shim" and it's proved to be a decent repair - it wouldn't be fair to say this is the route to take 'cause it hasn't been taking to extremes as a permanent repair. Again, ask yourself how long you expect to keep the bike.

...best of luck.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    its gonna be perm repair, and im pretty sure its bushings I think I can see the lips of them on the side. Its the bottom end of the arm that connects to the chain stay. And its a mongoose status 300.00 bike. I would like to get a better bike but cant right now. Maybe for xmas or tax time :-)
    Thanks for all of your advice.