Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ScareyH22A
    Has it ever crossed your mind that they have long travel bikes because they like to ride elsewhere and they don't have the funds to have a stable of trail specific steeds? Just a thought.

My thoughts exactly!

What if the guys you see on these bikes spend 50% of thier time riding where you saw them and the other 50% doing lift access DH stuff? WHat kind of bike would you suggest would be best for that?

If I was in that situation I would be on a 6"-7" bike with a totem

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I did a short XC ride with my friend the other day. He was on his Demo 7 because that's the bike he has. Yeah, we had to slow down a lot for him on the climbs, but whatever. And he could drop things that I was rolling on the way back down. Riding bikes is fun.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I guess you missed this comment:

Remember too that everything is relative. If AM'ers took their bikes out with fast trail riders and racers types they'd suffer on the climbs and single track. Just like the types of riders will suffer going down some of the crazy terrain I see the true AM'ers riding. And there are exceptions.

I'm confident that if your friend hit the pro XC race circuit he'd opt for a race bike. Once he's competing with a whole field at his level on many different courses agility and 10lbs will count.

I've also passed many people riding AM bikes on my HT going DH. So what? I'm not necessarily saying these people I pass should get a HT! If this IS what they prefer, great. I'm sure the best DH riders will win the local pro races on a HT. Yet, the AM forum has many people who presume everyone should be on AM bikes.

All I'm saying is I prefer agility over plushness, I want a sand rail and you want a jeep. I'm sure Mario Andretti can out drive me in any car
    Last edited by nm_gunslinger; 10-27-2008 at 10:33 AM.

slamma
    May 2005
    well, i don't think that travel is necessary at all and is probably hyped up by the people who buy into more travel, if the companies see people buying more travel their gonna make more travel. besides its human nature to always want more; bigger jumps, faster descents......, obviously it is a preference and most people prefer more. and how much travel you have for what ever type of trail you ride is also a preference, lets feel fortunate that now days we have so much sh art to choose from.
    visions come not to polluted eyes.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    who cares? ....
    Well put!!!

OUT.

local trails rider
    Quote Originally Posted by richa831
    its human nature to always want more; bigger jumps, faster descents......, obviously it is a preference and most people prefer more.
    More bikes that don't put me too high above the ground?

uhh, too negative

Bikes that keep me more close to the ground

Praise Bob

what happend to benefit of doubt?

Quote Originally Posted by Berkley
    While this may be true in general, something tells me that since the rider mentioned was on an Ellsworth, it's not the case in this particular scenario...
    I own an Ellsworth Moment, so am I supposed to take offense at that? I own an expensive bike so therefore I cant ride? When I dont have time to drive to the "real" trails I will keep my cardio up by riding local, flat, boring XC stuff. yeah the bike is totally overkill for those trails, but it is still fun. It's better that not riding at all. I put all my money into one bike so that's what I ride everywhere. I also ride all the black diamond stuff when I have time to get to the trails that offer that kind of riding. I've ridden all over Moab, Downieville and Pisgah but how am I able to explain that to the people I pass when I am on the local Rails-2-trails?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by William42
    who cares? when you fall, you don't go to the hospital.
    Yep, your right. I actually went for a trip over the bars and my guards and full face helmet saved my whole left side of my body from being mince meat.
    But back to the subject,
    I have been trying to create a bike which does it all but there is always a compromise. Even running a Fox 36 Talas on my Blur LT changes the whole feel of the bike . The travel adjuster isnt going to make it climb as well as using a Fox 32 Float. Having the right horse for the course does make for a more fun ride.

mtbr member
    I dont see how it matters.
    If the guy takes his bike out and has fun on it thats what matters.
    You can push the profile harder with suspension. Its more forgiving. we all cant argue that. And for some people pushing the profile on the DH is what they live for. We might not live next to whistler all year or summer long. but when we go up there at least we wont have to rent a bike.

As long as the guy justifies his investment with riding often. And he isnt jacking off to it in his garrage ( like some kids i know). I dont see why you would complain that he has 7" when all he needs is 4"
    Lean back, Hit both brakes, And ask yourself, Do you feel lucky today?

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by Cata1yst
    I dont see how it matters.
    That's because it doesn't. The point of an AM bike is to ride it everywhere. What the hell is an AM trail anyways? Somebody prove to me there is such a thing? Where is it okay for me to ride my bike!?! I'm so confused!!!!

Whatever... tis a silly thread anyways.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutchman83
    The point of an AM bike is to ride it everywhere.
    Oh goodness... Forgive me for posting.

All Mountain means that YOU can take the bike anywhere YOU want to take it. If the rims fold ( they wont) buy new ones.

That is really it. Yes, 717 rims can take a 2 foot drop.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    it really isnt that complicated. what do you want to do?

break it down like this:

1. have fun no matter what, that is why we are all here!!!

2. it always the rider not the ride

3. does it matters? heck yes, but it depends on what you want to do.

please watch my most recent vid just posted yesterday

http://www.vimeo.com/2074161

my buddy hadnt been out in 3 plus years and was riding his rocky mtn xcountry dully that was 6 plus years old, he can do anything on it. we let him ride my norco six and my buds heckler. will he switch to a 6 inch? probably, soon. what these bikes give you in confidence and fun on downhills and drops, you will make up for it on climbs. u dont lose anything on your technical ability. i just got the 6 coming from a 5 inch norco and as said before the geo is so huge plus the suspension. you can pedal a 35pound bijke no problem if you want. In a long winded summation, the travel does matter, i might get a 7 inch plus soon and ride all of my trails in Ct (which really do summize all mt better than anything) as well as ever cuz the plush feel is oh so nice. We are so lucky with all of the info we have at our fingertips that i feel people just need to be honest and decide what they want. take it from there because we have a hundreds of choices from there.!
    peace

textbook under achiver

different strokes

I don't care what the guy I am passing is riding,

I admire the guy passing me, I want his strength, lungs and skill.....not his ride!

I am always glad I'm not walking....

Suspension allows me to ride longer...before the monkey sets in.....

A good hard tail is a safe bet on an unknown trail.

I am glad we don't all ride the same bike (life IS good).

Smilies are the FO-shizzle
    I wANt To bE DiffeREnT JusT LiKe EveRyOne eLsE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Spartacus Rex
    I own an Ellsworth Moment, so am I supposed to take offense at that? I own an expensive bike so therefore I cant ride? When I dont have time to drive to the "real" trails I will keep my cardio up by riding local, flat, boring XC stuff. yeah the bike is totally overkill for those trails, but it is still fun. It's better that not riding at all. I put all my money into one bike so that's what I ride everywhere. I also ride all the black diamond stuff when I have time to get to the trails that offer that kind of riding. I've ridden all over Moab, Downieville and Pisgah but how am I able to explain that to the people I pass when I am on the local Rails-2-trails?
    Same story here Spartacus. I put together my Moment with the idea that I wanted one bike that I could ride anywhere. Sure it's overkill for Granite Bay, Confluence, FHDL, and Clementine among others but it sure rocks Downieville, Mammoth Bar, Culvert, Anadel, Hole in the Ground and TRT to name a few. I'll also add that I am one of the luck few that has had no issues with the 2008 55 ATA which allows me to change the geometry of the bike from more xc oriented to dh oriented with a few turns of the ATA knob.

user-created
    Quote Originally Posted by perttime
    On-One has done an interesting variation of their 456 hardtail: the "Summer Season" with about 66 to 67 degree head angle with a 5" fork. Apparently, they figured that lots of people were using tall forks just to get a slack head angle, and saw that there must be a better way to acchieve that.
    The Cove Handjob has a 68 with a 4" fork, and it always has.

mtbr member
    I have been successfully riding pretty much anything short of large jumps on a 3.7" FS, and on a hard tail with 80mm front before, but I do enjoy riding it with a 160mm FS bike even more.

Technology has progressed to the point where drawbacks of 5 to 6" suspension are not outweighing its benefits anymore for this application, so I see no reason to get another 4" bike, or a hardtail.

(But yeah, I will keep a hardtail and a 4" bike set for marathons)..

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3