mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Bonking ... not feelin' well Suspension Stiff on Low Rebound. How to make smoother?

Hi there. I am a beginner Rider and actually went up my first Mountain yesterday. Been riding for about 2 years now but I started out with an old Raleigh with 24' and 40mm of travel. Now I have the Giant ATX 2 (2017) which is a starter for sure. My SRSuntour XCT Suspension (100mm of Travel) is acting very stiff and i need some help with making it smooth. Any Ideas? Thank you

Land of the 230+
    I think the XCT is a coil fork, without any rebound damping. The knob on the top is "preload" which has a small bit of control over the spring rate. But its possible there may be an oil damped version like the XCR.

Anyway, like most suntour forks, there is not oil in teh fork lowers. The stanchions are lubed with grease. Eventually this grease disappears and or hardens, and youre left with horrible stiction. If its worth your time, you could disassemble the fork and grease up the stanchions. Expect to have to keep doing this from time to time. When you finally get tired of the maintenace, go out and buy a real fork. If you look around you can find decent options for as cheap as 200 bucks. IMO, Its hands down the single best upgrade you can possible make on a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    I think the XCT is a coil fork, without any rebound damping. The knob on the top is "preload" which has a small bit of control over the spring rate. But its possible there may be an oil damped version like the XCR.

Anyway, like most suntour forks, there is not oil in teh fork lowers. The stanchions are lubed with grease. Eventually this grease disappears and or hardens, and youre left with horrible stiction. If its worth your time, you could disassemble the fork and grease up the stanchions. Expect to have to keep doing this from time to time. When you finally get tired of the maintenace, go out and buy a real fork. If you look around you can find decent options for as cheap as 200 bucks. IMO, Its hands down the single best upgrade you can possible make on a bike.
    Ok. I am saving up but I am gonna be greasing up my Stanchions. Thinking of getting the XC30 by Rockshox

Land of the 230+
    You can do better than that. There's a marzocchi 320 in sale for 200 bucks. Or plenty of budget options from rockshox, xfusion and a few others. Year end clearances are coming up. Look for an air sprung fork with at least 32mm stanchions. The 30 will be a noodle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    There's a marzocchi 320 in sale for 200 bucks.
    Which would be an incredible value.

mtbr member
    You can do better than that. There's a marzocchi 320 in sale for 200 bucks. Or plenty of budget options from rockshox, xfusion and a few others. Year end clearances are coming up. Look for an air sprung fork with at least 32mm stanchions. The 30 will be a noodle.
    That Marzocchi would be a huge upgrade at an incredible price. I have a 350 NCR and it's an amazing fork.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    I kinda can't though. I am a 14 year old who can't get a job. Gonna try and get an Acceptable real Suspension.

Land of the 230+
    If you cant swing 200 bucks now, just hold off until you can. Anything cheaper will probably not be worth it. Just grease up what you already have, and make the most of it until you can swing the big upgrade. Used is another option, but youre probably better off just saving your pennies to get that new fork smell when you open the box.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    If you cant swing 200 bucks now, just hold off until you can. Anything cheaper will probably not be worth it. Just grease up what you already have, and make the most of it until you can swing the big upgrade. Used is another option, but youre probably better off just saving your pennies to get that new fork smell when you open the box.
    Ok. Thanks! As you guys probably would know. Being a teen and getting a job is really hard. I have been greasing up the Stanchions, every week i will be doing it.