Thread: Suspension SOS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Smile Suspension SOS

Im in need of some advice. I currently ride mainly xc/trail , I have a norco faze 3 09 with a tora 289 80-130 on the front and a fox rp2 on the back. Over the last two years my confidence has increased a lot, I love quick single track and technical decents! But I feel the front end is letting the bike down now, it feels very flexy in the rock gardens and on the roots, on the whole the tora has served me well (although I have never been able to extract the full travel but i put that down to the fact in only 10st wet through) bottom line, I need something lighter, stiffer, better ! After a lot of thought ive decied to go for a 15mm axle on the front (heard good things) to add stiffness, now the tricky bit :-( what fork to buy ??? I have a budget of 300 (times are hard) and its boiled down to these two : 1) 2009 fox 32 f120rl 300 rrp 700
    2) 2013 rockshox reba rl 300 rrp 500
    Both are brand new although the fox isnt boxed and have the 15mm axle option. I realise both of these are miles better than what I currently have but I really can't decide what to go for, its literally driving me crazy. My heart says the fox but my head says Rs. If u have anything to say bout the matter or have riden either of the forks please fire away !

mtbr member
    Those are XC forks so you may not get many responses. You should try the other forum

I was gonna recommend a used '09 pike with 20mm axle before I saw you narrowed it down to those two. Most people in this forum will use bigger forks with 20mm axles

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Go with a fork that has larger diameter stanchions, that will lead to the greatest amount of increased stiffness. I can't ride anything that has 32mm stanchions without it feeling like a wet noodle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The other thing to keep in mind, because you are on a budget is the thru axle. you say you want to go QR15 but will your wheel set accept those? If not you are adding more cost then just the fork.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I have seen a mavic crossride 6 bolt 2013 front wheel online for 70. Whats the crack with rear axles ? Can all frames accept them or is it not really worth bothering with ? I know i have a long travel xc setup and this is the am forum but im wanting to develop my frame to be able to cope with some mild am riding (v mild, england has no landscape ) (im onlt 150 lb geared up so im pretty sure the frame can handle rougher stuff, from what ive read on mbuk norco make a tough frame. If there was easy access to that style of riding id buy a big rig but unfortunately there isnt. My overall aim is a bike that's light enough to pedal up but strong enough to get me through the rough stuff (best bits) faster and more controlled. Some say I want too much :-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The frame has to be able to accept the different thru axles either what you currently have or 135mm x 12 or the newer 142mm x 12. My guess would be to stick with your current rear and only get the front if you end up getting the fork.