mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Suspension Help please 24inch Rims? -- Decisions.

Hi, Im new to the forum. I am looking to buy a new set of forks. I have a kona scab frame with 24inch dmr Rims 26 x 2.10 Tioga DH Tyres, Deore LX Crank Set, Chain Guards/guide, Tioga Seat/Handlebars. Old style mono mini Front. V brake Rear.

I have read alot of reviews and made a selection of forks which seem good. But would like your help in the final decision.

The bike I ride is a fairly small frame for my size 16inch I think it is - Im 6tf. It was originally half set for Dirt Jumping/everthing. But lately I have found myself doing long offroad rides, and my suspension [aswell as my brakes] are not cutting it. My Budget is around 200 for forks.

Also I am usure if the forks I have picked would fit to my frame and wheels?

Anyway here are the Specs
    The Pike is a bit off my budget (344) but I may pick up a second hand one cheap if I decide on it.

Zoom RockShox Recon 327 Solo Air Forks (2006)
    RockShox Recon 327 Solo Air Forks (2006)
    Ideal for All Mountain Riding, the Recon Forks feature Stiff 32mm 7075 Aluminium upper tubes and lightweight Magnesium lowers. This 327 Solo version comes with Rebound Damping with External Rebound Adjustment and a Solo Air Spring.
    # Travel: 80/100/130mm
    # Stanchions: 7000 Series Aluminium w/Low-Friction Anodised Surface, 32mm
    # Damping: Rebound
    # Adjustment: External Rebound
    # Spring: Solo Air
    # Adjustments: Air Pressure via single Schrader valve
    # Lowers: Magnesium
    # Crown: Forged, Hollow 6061 T-6 Aluminium
    # Steerer: Aluminium
    # Weight: 1789g (3.92lb)
    # Brake Mounts: V-Brake
    # Colour: Black

RockShox Recon 351 U-Turn Forks (2006)
    Ideal for All Mountain Riding, the Recon Forks feature Stiff 32mm 7075 Aluminium upper tubes and lightweight Magnesium lowers. This 351 U-Turn version comes with Motion Control Damping with External Rebound, Compression and Lock Adjustment, with a U-Turn Spring for 85-130mm of Travel.
    # Travel: 85-130mm w/U-Turn Adjustment
    # Stanchions: 7000 Series Aluminium w/Low Friction Anodised Surface, 32mm
    # Damping: Motion Control
    # Adjustment: External Rebound, External Compression & Lock
    # Spring: U-Turn
    # Steerer: Butted Aluminium
    # Weight: 2066g (4.53lb)
    # Colour: Black

RockShox Tora 318 U-Turn Forks (2006)
    Featuring stiff & lightweight 32mm Tapered-Wall Chromoly Steel upper tubes, this 318 Version of the Tora forks comes with Motion Control Damping, U-Turn Travel Adjustment & External Compression & Lock Adjustment.
    # Travel: 85-130mm w/U-Turn Adjustment
    # Stanchions: 4130 TaperedWall Cro-mo Steel, 32mm
    # Adjustment: External Compression & Lock
    # Steerer: Aluminium
    # Weight: 2217g (4.89lb)
    # Colour: Blue/Grey

Rockshox Tora SL SoloAir Forks (2009)
    # Combining light weight, stiffness, and consistency like no other suspension product on the market today. Application/Type: Trail
    # Wheel Size: 26"
    # Axle Type: Q/R
    # Spring Type: SoloAir
    # Lockout TurnKey: Lockout
    # Compression Damping Adjuster: Yes
    # Rebound Control: Yes
    # Crown: Single Forged 6061 T-6 hollow aluminum
    # Steer Tube Diameter: 1-1/8"
    # Steer Tube Material: 4130 steel
    # Steer Tube Length (Uncut): 265mm
    # Brake Mount Type: V-Brake, Disc
    # Maximum Disc Size: 8" (210mm)
    # Maximum Tire Width: 2.5"
    # Weight: 4.76lb (2160g)
    # Includes: Bosses
    # Travel Size: 100mm
    # Colour: Black\

Rockshox Pike 454 Coil U-Turn Forks (2009)
    Light and Stiff, the Pike Series has developed a loyal following due to its Consistent, Durable Character and Excellent Performance over a Wide Range of Conditions. This 454 Coil U-Turn version features a Hollow Crown and Aluminium Steerer for Reduced Weight. It comes with Motion Control Damping with 95-140mm U-Turn Travel Adjustment, External Rebound, Floodgate & Compression Adjustments plus Lockout.
    # For All Mountain use
    # Travel: 95-140mm w/U-Turn Adjustment
    # Stanchions: 32mm 7000 Series Aluminum w/Low Friction Anodized Surface
    # Damping Adjustments: External Rebound, Floodgate, Compression Adjustment and Lockout
    # Spring Adjustments: Change Spring (U-Turn)
    # Crown: Hollow, Forged 6061 T-6 Aluminum
    # Steerer: Butted Aluminum
    # Lowers: Magnesium w/International Standard Disc Mounts and 20mm Axle
    # Weight: 2281 g (5.0 lbs)
    # Colour: Diffusion Black

RockShox Psylo Race Forks (2002)
    These forks have everything you could want, with 80/100/125mm adjustable travel, Pure damping, Dual Air springs and Climb-It control. Designed for Race use, they are lightweight and friction-free with Magnesium lowers and PTFE-coated 30mm Aluminium upper tubes. At this price, they are going to sell out fast the January Sales have begun!
    # For Freeride & Aggressive XC use
    # 80/100/125mm Travel (adjustable via supplied spacers)
    # Pure Damping
    # Dual Air Springs
    # Climb-It Control compression adjustment
    # External Rebound Adjustment
    # Tunable positive air spring (via Schrader valve)
    # Tunable negative air spring (via Schrader valve)
    # Aluminium 30mm upper tubes w/ PTFE low-friction finish
    # Magnesium lowers
    # Aluminium Steerer tube
    # Scalloped Aluminium crown
    # Takes tyres up to 2.7"
    # Weight: 3.62 lbs (1.63 Kg)
    # Colour: Gold

So what are your thoughts? Or any other recommendations?
    Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Hi, my Rims are 24inch both front and Back.

TNC
    noMAD man
    I know I'm probably missing something obvious here, and if so, I apologize. Do you mean you have a 24" wheeled bike or something else? I see your mention of 26" tires but something about 24" rims...and the title of your post has 24 in it. I've got to assume that you have a 26" bike because of the forks listed...or do you have a 24" rear? Like I said, I know I must be reading the post wrong.

Upgrade your life
    Pics?

I just let one RIP
    Don't worry about forks, yet. Worry about getting those 26 in tires on your 24 inch rims.
    A ride a day keeps the therapist away.

TNC
    noMAD man

LOL!...Yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by Jwiffle
    Don't worry about forks, yet. Worry about getting those 26 in tires on your 24 inch rims.
    That's what I'm still wondering about. I don't know anything about that particular Kona. If it's a 24" designed bike, a 26" designed fork will have the OP ready to audition for the next season of "American Chopper". None of those forks are available as a 24" fork model...are they? That's not to say you can't put a 24" wheel into a 26" designed fork, but it's not the norm obviously. I'm thinking perhaps, as what said in the movie, "Cool Hand Luke"..."What we have here, is a failure to communicate".

Hey OP...no one's dissin' you here...just a little unclear on what you have there.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The Kona Scab is a Steel frame hardtail with a Dirt Jump Geo.

Putting a 24 inch rim in the rear with a 26 inch rim in front will slacken HA and make the bike feel a bit less "twitchie" and lower the standover height for small persons.

Putting a 24 inch rim on both front and rear of the bike will make a nice skatepark/Urban bike

Assuming you have long-ish legs (you are 6ft tall, right?) this will not be the best bike for XC-ish riding - the geo is not the best for this type of riding.

But if you have no other choice, get 26 inch rims on both front and rear of the bike and get the Pike fork.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks guys. Good advice Havoc. Instead of spending a vast sum on upgrading my bike, I think I will just try to pick up a second hand bike which is already a good spec. And either keep my Kona as a second bike or sell it. The only annoying thing is I have could have got a Marzocci All Mountain 1 fork at a very low price [second hand] but in good condition, which is enticing me to upgrade rather than buy complete.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Also, If I wanted to put Rear Discs on the Kona scab frame which does not have any mounts, how would I do this?

mtbr member
    best not to.

you can get clamp on disc brake braces, but considering that v-brakes are pretty powerful, and the front brake is where the braking power is to be at, the only real reason is cosmetic, which will be ruined be having a clamp system and the v-brake bosses sticking out the top.

Of course a disc on the back is nice, and I am not saying it is useless (I have an 8" rotor on the back of my bike for DH use). Just that if you really want discs, get a new frame/used bike.
    Mint condition Marzocchi 66RC for sale (170mm) pm to make an offer!

Ride in Japan? Come to the Forums!

mtbr member
    oh, I think in the original question you were saying that you have 24" wheels on your bike at the moment. Is that correct?

And if you can run any fork when using them.

That is ok. The japanese version of the Giant Warp DS-1 came stock with 24" wheels. I had it!

It is nice to have 24" for jumping, but for long trail rides, your DJ bike is not the best thing(geometry is all wrong, it'll be heavy and you will have to have a really long seatpost). I would say sell it (you should be able to get a good price) and put that 200 quid towards a new bike. more suited to your riding.

something like these

Specialized Rockhopper Disc 2007 - 19" M4 Frame

07 Specialized Rockhopper Comp. Aluminium, XT,Deore,

Specialized Rockhopper Custom Build

Sorry, just typed rockhopper in the search. But they are a good range of bikes, 400-500 quid. Sell your bike for more than 200 and you can get something much more suitable.

mtbr member
    I think a lot of people are getting new bikes now,
    here is a Kona stinky for 450

and here is a Norco also at 450