mtbr member

Good job! Superstar components!

Just gonna start a thread about all the components superstar make. Personally everything i have bought seems top quality. Just wondering why we don't see more!?
    They're dirt cheap and really good quality ...and they come in loads of crazy colours - what more could you ask for?
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe!

usually cranky
    because i dont think they ship to the us of a.

mtbr member
    Haha, fair enough I forgot everyone on here was american
    What about you british guys out there? (if there are any)

mtbr member
    from what i remember CRC has a few items but mostly bmx parts. Would love to try any of their wheelsets out. have a friend in the UK bringing some pedals back.
    i'm on my Last Herb
    RestInPeace Hook

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I bought the SS converter and a tensioner from them. Quality seems good & price is cheap enough. Everything arrived with no issues. BTW, I lived in Asia.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I didn't see anything on their site about NOT shipping to the USA. Am I missing something?

mtbr member
    It says they will ship to the rest of the world, it will just cost you 5. But they wont ship large items.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ILMTB
    I didn't see anything on their site about NOT shipping to the USA. Am I missing something?
    There is nothing on the site until you try to checkout.
    Superstar components!-superstar.jpg

I brought this to their attention a year ago. No changes have been made.
    Last edited by shiggy; 05-18-2011 at 12:15 PM.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

usually cranky
    it really is a bummer, i would love to give their switch rear hub a go.

mtbr member
    I've had/got a bunch of Superstar stuff, they're pretty good as long as you avoid anything complicated. I had a Superleggera and it was great until the teeth literally wore out of the hubshell, 120 teeth and two pawls in a tiny little alu hub doesn't work very well for very long.

I'd say they're a brand for the thick skinned and technically minded only, the guy who runs it was in fact a chemist before starting Superstar and he... isn't much of a people person when it comes to customer service. The quality of their wheel builds are crap too.

But on balance they're pretty good, presently riding their seatpost, chain guide and a Prestine BB that they import, all good stuff. They're the only people I get brake pads from now and they're the only company in the UK that re-sells the HT components pedals at not-rip-off prices (besides Ready 2 Ride, who sell the actual HT components pedals).

@B-Kul
    The switch is just an off the peg Joytech hub, you can probably get it from some other brand in the US if you really want it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    The quality of their wheel builds are crap too.
    thats a shame to read. I was just eye f&@#ing their XC-430 Rim

SamIAm
    i think he ment the whole wheel build. not just the components that go into it.
    <(*-*<) Go Ride (>*-*)>

05 SxT: totemcoil, dhxair, juicycarbons, LXcranks, X9kit, halo freedomdisc, deity compound pedals

derp
    They came to my attention when i was converting my 240s front hub to thru axle and didn't want to pay 50 for the noodle made DT Swiss one, they make a pretty cool and strong axle for about 10.

I also bought their CNC Mag pedals, extemely light and actually well made. They also carry some poo though ....

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade View Post
    The quality of their wheel builds are crap too.
    Have to disagree on that. A mate has been bashing the crap out of a Superstar wheelst for 18 months and apart from the bearing in the Switch freehub nothing has gone wrong. The bearing cost 7 and took at least 5 minutes to fit. I have just bought myself a set and 2 rides in they are still round and straight and I am a wheel wrecker.

AllMountain+CwmcarnUplift
    I have also been looking at a rear hub or maybe a complete rear wheel build because my Sunringle freehub has broke and thats 80 for just that. and a wheel from them is just over 120. Decisions?

Any recommendations?
    If your not falling off, your not riding fast enough!

Cube Fritzz 2008

GT Aggressor XC 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    After 6 months of riding their AM/Enduro Wheelset (Novatec 4-in-1 hubs, Sapim 2.0 spokes and AlexRims rims) in dry and dusty, cold, snow and mud, the wheels still run great. I ride them on my 150mm FS AM bike.

Pros:
    - the hubs are very well protected from the mud and snow (especially since I live in a city where they use salt in winter, which kills all moving parts). Rode them all winter, (even in 40cm of snow) - no problems with the bearings !
    - wide rims and tires go easily off them (on 2.25 Schwalbe Albert I use my hands to put on and remove the tire)

Cons:
    - hole in the rim isn't wide enough for the tires with the Schroeder valve. You have to make a 0.5mm wider hole.
    - wheels weren't perfectly centered when they arrived (they probably do it by machine) but since I bought them, they still run like on the first day. So, they are pretty strong.

Other:
    - had a problem with the 10mm axle on my older Focus bike (on one side of the rear dropout the axle wouldn't go in, and had to be pushed from the side which made the rear wheel harder to put on
    This is due the manufacturer of the frame, since on my new bike with the same dropout (135xQR) it all goes in great.
    - Rear hub is pretty quiet (it gets louder as you run it, but at first i couldn't be heard at all during riding). I like it that way, someone won't.
    - with 20mm front adapters, and 135x10 rear hub options, they weight 2050g (the site says 1950, but that is without the adapters).

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I use them for most things, normally BB's there are easy to strip and grease and ride for ever pretty much and there brake pads preferably sintered are dirt cheap and really good.

And if I forget something, generally it's here for the next day, major bonus.

CRC takes 3 days to get anything to me these days, so On One site or SS if I can these days.