Addicted
    May 2006

Super light 140mm fork

I'm starting a build list for my 2011 all-mountain bikes while laid up.
    Before I can look at wheels/hubs I need to figure out what fork I'll be running.

Here's what I'm after:
    -Light, light, light, light

-140mm of travel

-The lower the axle to crown height is, the better

-Through axle. 20mm preferably as I have a couple spare wheels I'd be able to use. 15mm would be acceptable.

-I'd like to be able to kick the travel down by atleast 20mm without having to wind travel all day(similar to the Magura forks)

Lock outs aren't needed, but I'd live with one. Pedaling platform not needed, but I'd live with one.

Info I've come up with so far
    1. Manitou Minute//Travel:140mm InfiniteTravel//20mm//A2C of 515mm(20.27")//Wt: ?

2. Manitou Minute//Travel: 140mm// 20mm//A2C of 515mm(20.27")//Wt. 3.8lbs(1740g)

2. White Bros Fluid 140//Travel:140//20mm//A2C: 517mm(20.35")//Wt: 4.6lbs(2086.5g)

3. Magura Thor//Travel:140-100mm//20mm//A2C: Unknown//Wt. 3.99lbs(1812g)

4. RockShox Revalation WC//150mm internally adjustable//15 or 20mm//A2C:519mm@140mm//Wt. 3.28lbs(1489g)

5. RockShox Revalation RLT Ti//Travel:150mm internally adjustable//15 or 20mm//A2C: 519@140mm(20.43")//Wt: 3.6lbs(1636g)

6. DT Swiss XMM 140 Twin Shot//Travel: 140mm//15mm//A2C: 515mm(20.27")//Wt:3.85lbs(1745g)

7.Fox Talas Fit TerraLogic//Travel: 140-110mm//15mm//A2C:511mm//Wt:4.0lbs(1841g)

8.Fox Talas Fit RLC// Travel: 140-110mm//15mm//A2C:511mm(20.11")//Wt:3.88lbs(1760g)

9. Fox Float RLC(Northwest Bike Tech custom/modified)//Travel: 135mm//15mm//A2C:506mm(19.92")//Wt: 3.75lb(1700g)

10. Cannondale Lefty Max w/PBR//Travel 140mm//Lefty taper//A2C:500mm?(19.7")//Wt:3.08lbs(1395g)

My top three choices are in no particular order

1. Northwest Bike Tech custom modified Fox Float Fit RLC
    Upsides:
    1. Axle to crown sits EXACTLY where I want it for both climbing and descending which eliminates the need for extra clutter on the bars/stopping to wind the fork down.
    2. Fox QR15 is super easy to use
    3. I can always kick it back to 150mm for any future bikes.
    4. Straight 1 1/8" steerer allows me to use a Cane Creek AngleSet on any tapered/1.5 headtube

Downsides:
    1. Have to get parts direct from Fox which can at times be a bit of a hassle.
    2. 15mm QR.. means I wont have a spare front wheel laying around, although this has never been a problem with this situation and my 24mm front axle

2. Manitou Minute 140 IT 20mm
    Upsides:
    1. Decent Axle to Crown height
    2. 20mm axle
    3. Absolute damper is amazing
    4. Infinite travel adjust
    5. Self Service or BTI/QBP service centers are also easy options for service

Downsides:
    1. Parts must be purchased through Manitou
    2. Handlebar mounted travel adjust

3. RockShox Revelation WC
    Upsides:
    1. Self servicable
    2. Every single part is available through BTI and QBP
    3. Reliable
    4. Internally adjustable travel
    5. Light!!! The lightest traditional style fork of the bunch
    6. Warranty and customer service CAN NOT be beat by any other company
    7. Versatile. I can lower it with All Travel Spacers for this bike or kick it back to 150 for any future bikes.

Downsides:
    1. Price
    2. Only available in a tapered steerer

Now I am biased toward RockShox. I own a Judy Air, Psylo U-turn, Reba Team U-turn, Boxxer WC 32mm, Boxxer WC 35mm.
    I've always found that my Fox forks have felt a little grainy. Even after pulling them apart and giving them the old FinishLine Stanchion Lube treatment and SlickHoney on the seals.
    I have no experience with the DT Swiss forks

Last few notes:
    The fork is going on a 5" travel frame
    I ride very aggressive and this will be my main bike(still gotta save those hardtails though), but on days where there are hucks I still have a 6" travel AM bike, my freeride bike and a downhill race bike. More than likely I will be over-riding this bike most of the time.

I'm sure there are light 140mm with thru-axles out there I missed. What else is available and... what do ya'll suggest?

meow meow
    the rs sektor solo air sounds good for you. travel can be adjusted up to 150 but it a little heavier at 4.3 pounds. 1 1/8 steerer, 20mm maxle light.

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by b-kul
    the rs sektor solo air sounds good for you. travel can be adjusted up to 150 but it a little heavier at 4.3 pounds. 1 1/8 steerer, 20mm maxle light.
    4.3lbs is why I didn't list it. It is a great option especially at the price. Yes the White Bros is a touch heavier but I'm quite sure that the 4.6lb is incorrect based on other reviews.

I'm building this bike to race Enduro events, and use as my main do everything ride for the next 4 years(twice the life of most bikes I own) so I'm going to go ahead and splash down some extra cash and build the bike exactly as I want without compromise.

I was interested in a 44 Micro Ti however, Marzocchi doesn't make a 140mm fork this year except an 44RLO coil fork.

-Kevin

meow meow
    oh i see. in that case i get exactly what you want. personally id take the rev.

mtbr member
    Of your choices I would take the Rev because of the 20mm (over the fox) and service-ability (over the manitou).

Do you think you will actually need the geo adjustments the angleset provides?

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Well, I'm a Lefty fan boy so I think you list is inverted.

I believe the 2010 Lefty 140 PBR is like 1290 gr.

However since you have a few existing wheels, it's harder to go in that direction since you would also need to buy a wheel. I can say that the Lefty has the best resistance to torque on the front wheel that I have ridden. It makes those rock gardens seems smoother..........

The downside to the lefty is the cost. New from an LBS is $1200. You can get them new from 3rd parties for 900-1000, but that's still steep.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

M_S
    mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    If you have money to burn and don't want super low maintenance, lefty + new wheel with cannondale hub will be by far the lightest.
    - Simon

mtbr member
    Thor, if you care about performance.

T.W.O.
    +1 on the Thor+when you reduce the travel it's even plusher. It's not the lightest but it performs. What tire do you plan to run with these fork any ways.

Addicted
    May 2006
    I'm very familiar with the Cannondale forks. I've love the simplicity of the Lefty Max 140 SPV from '05. I've got a handful of customers that still rock those things and I'm the only guy in town that has experience servicing them so I get to play with them rather often. Actually 4 years ago, if you search you'll find threads where I and a few others came up with a 29er conversion kit and were doing installs for a bunch of those guys.

I haven't worked in a Cannondale shop since '08 so I haven't torn into one of the newer ones. The shop I work in now used to be a Cannondale dealer, so I might be able to convince the rep to set me up with one.
    That is my only rear complaint with the Lefty is availability to me.

The fork is going on a 2011 Trance X(perhaps Advance/carbon... depends on how much I have to pay for yesterdays surgery).

I've been rocking the 2.2 Wolverines on my Foes Prolite HT and really liked them, especially in the wet. So I'll throw those on for the first ride most likely
    A couple combos I'll try out right off the bat as well are:
    Front: 2.3 WTB Weirwolf UST Rear: 2.1 WTB Weirwolf UST
    Front: 2.3 WTB Weirwolf UST Rear: 2.2 WTB Wolverine Race
    I've got some Schwalbe Wicked Wills that came in that look like they might be a real fun tire on the nastier-wet rooted trails we've been building around here.
    I won't run anything bigger than a Nevegal 2.35(as a Nevegal runs pretty darn big).

mtbr member
    get the lefty

mtbr member
    'Nother vote for the Rev.

I have a 150mm Rev Dual Air w/ Maxle Lite lowered to 140 on my 5" Dawg. I'm a very aggressive rider who rides in a lot of techy, burly terrain. It is phenomenal and easy/low maintenance. The Rev has so much tech in it, it's ridiculous. Stout, stiff, light, yet plush. It doesn't get much better than that.

mtbr member
    Is the lefty available in anything other than 1.5 steerer?

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by el_chupo_
    Of your choices I would take the Rev because of the 20mm (over the fox) and service-ability (over the manitou).

Do you think you will actually need the geo adjustments the angleset provides?
    I'm unsure as to whether or not I will need the adjustable headangle features of the AngleSet. The bike comes stock with a 69.5* headangle. This is too me is a touch on the steep side, but I rock a 69.5* HA on my Foes Prolite and a 70* HA on my Niner EMD, both of which are hardtails and do not have a sag factor. The TranceX does have a sage factor.

Of course I will be bumping the travel up in the front 10-15mm which will reduce the headangle to approximately 69*. I was really hoping for something more along the lines of 68* which will be nice and slack but still nimble on a 5" travel do everything bike.

We'll have a Trance X shop demo bike here in a few weeks. Hopefully, my surgeon gives me the ok to go riding again and I'll steal the TranceX and make my judgements based off the demo bike.

Quote Originally Posted by M_S
    If you have money to burn and don't want super low maintenance, lefty + new wheel with cannondale hub will be by far the lightest.
    I'm not totally sold that the Lefty is the best choice for this bike.
    My Niner on the other hand needs as new fork as I'm stealing the DUC32 off it for a 6" travel bike and converting the Niner to singlespeed. I think that would be a fantastic bike.

Quote Originally Posted by 8valvegrowl
    'Nother vote for the Rev.

I have a 150mm Rev Dual Air w/ Maxle Lite lowered to 140 on my 5" Dawg. I'm a very aggressive rider who rides in a lot of techy, burly terrain. It is phenomenal and easy/low maintenance. The Rev has so much tech in it, it's ridiculous. Stout, stiff, light, yet plush. It doesn't get much better than that.
    Vote added.

I do like the overall versatility of the Rev. I could use it on many bikes to come. As mentioned prior, I own alot of bikes with RockShox on them and enjoy every one of them.
    I'm 150lbs and no muscle, but I ride hard, jump ALOT and abuse my bike, however at the same time I'm also a very smooth rider. I'm curious what the difference in stiffness is between the 15 and 20mm axles.
    I can only assume there would be more bushing overlap with a lowered Rev than a Fox as well which could increase torsional stiffness?

I like deflection to an extent, that's part of the reason I stuck with Boxxers for so long over 40's. The 40's killed my wrists and while I held lines better, it was brutal.

Project 321 makes a conversion for them to fit 1 1/8". Its only more money afterall...

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by Curmy
    Thor, if you care about performance.
    +1 IMO my 2009 Thor is smoother and stiffer than either the 09 fox Float and Vanilla RLC that I had before it. The Travel adjust on the fly is so nice. Press lean release. I did replace the Magura bar remote with a XTR thumb shifter remote other than that no issues with performance or reliability.

Great Dampening. There are still some 2009 forks at DepartmentofGoods for around $500.
    The A2C is 520. I will be running a hope Pro2 with a Stans 650b in the near future.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

Addicted
    May 2006
    From my experience the Thor/Wotans use a damper that is VERY similar to the Motion Control that RockShox uses.

My complaint with the Thor is that to make use of the travel adjust you must use a bar mounted lever. If I recall correctly the '08 models also required the use of a lever to lock out/engage the the pedaling platform.

Is this still the case?

Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxconvert
    From my experience the Thor/Wotans use a damper that is VERY similar to the Motion Control that RockShox uses.

My complaint with the Thor is that to make use of the travel adjust you must use a bar mounted lever. If I recall correctly the '08 models also required the use of a lever to lock out/engage the the pedaling platform.

Is this still the case?
    I have not used a RS so I can't compare it with the Thor. So I can't help there.

I have used the travel without the bar mount. Twist push release but I like the bar mount so much for climbs in that I can reposition myself for the climb and use the travel adjust to rebalance myself on the bike. Some people have issues with travel adjust fork because it feels like they are trying to drive in the mountain instead of rolling over it. It become more of a race worthy solution because you never need to slow down or take your hands off the bars.
    09 Ibis Mojo - All Mountain Moab Edition

T.W.O
    I'm ordering the Manitou Minute

mtbr member
    I would look at the Specialized S140 that comes on the Stumpjumber carbons. I have one and it is a great stiff fork. But to get the extra stiffness you have to run there wheel with the 28mm end caps. The fork is as stiff as any 15mil through axle forks i have ridden and it weighs about 3.5 pounds if not a bit less
    He who dies with the most toys, still dies

mtbr member
    I'm 15 lbs heavier and have a similar style. Thrash or crash with lots of air. I grew up on stuff that required a smooth style. The Rev won't disappoint. If I could lower it more, I'd throw one on my dirt jumper, that's how much I like it.

MattSavage
    Manitou minute all the way!!! The handlebar IT mount is not a negative at all, you'll grow to love it! It can't be beat for serviceability and self custom tuning if your comfortable with shim stacks...
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

Addicted
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by toytech64
    I would look at the Specialized S140 that comes on the Stumpjumber carbons. I have one and it is a great stiff fork. But to get the extra stiffness you have to run there wheel with the 28mm end caps. The fork is as stiff as any 15mil through axle forks i have ridden and it weighs about 3.5 pounds if not a bit less
    I've never been able to get down with Specialized suspension whether it be a fork or shock.
    Not only that, but I would also be introducing a 5th axle size to what I've got already. Not a big fan of that(same situation as a Lefty though).

Quote Originally Posted by mattsavage
    Manitou minute all the way!!! The handlebar IT mount is not a negative at all, you'll grow to love it! It can't be beat for serviceability and self custom tuning if your comfortable with shim stacks...
    2 bulky XO gripshift levers, 2 brake levers and a height adjust post lever will still easily crowd a 720mm wide bar.

I'm still looking mainly at the Revelation RLT Ti/WC, NWBT Fox, Minute 140.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by toytech64
    . But to get the extra stiffness you have to run there wheel with the 28mm end caps.
    Proprietory wheel/hub combos. We definitely need more of those.

I'm with stupid
    I vote lefty. and so did this giant owner
    Giant Anthem X - Lefty Conversion Pics

I dig trails!
    If you are pinning it then the quality of spring/damping will trump a few grams difference.

That means the port orifice dampers should be out: RockShox (non-Black Box), Magura (RS internals?)

So, Fox and Manitou (don't go IT tho).

Non-IT Manitou's run a spring assist air, so initial travel is smoove coil spring with air assist end stroke. Best of both worlds.

I'll bet the Manitou's are internally adjustable travel as well. Call them to ask.

P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.P
    If you are pinning it then the quality of spring/damping will trump a few grams difference.

That means the port orifice dampers should be out: RockShox (non-Black Box), Magura (RS internals?)
    Magura has some of the best damping around, IMO. I will take my Wotan, Laurin and Durin over anything from Fox and Rock Shox. And I did.

For Thor, reportedly (http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Magura-...irst-ride.html) there are significant changes in 2011 year. I would be surprised if they were not for the better.

mtbr member
    I vote Manitou. The ABS+ dampers are easy to custom tune and come with a shimed rebound circuit. As said above, I would opt to not get the IT. But thats just me.

Addicted
    May 2006

So, Fox and Manitou (don't go IT tho).

Non-IT Manitou's run a spring assist air, so initial travel is smoove coil spring with air assist end stroke. Best of both worlds.

I'll bet the Manitou's are internally adjustable travel as well. Call them to ask.

P
    I won't have any problem with putting a MoCo cartridge on this bike. The MotionControl works fine, its smooth and controlled. Yes it's not as tuneable as say a shimstack based damper but I like the way the RockShox stuff feels.

I do really like the way the Intrinsic and TPC Manitou dampers feel and I would hope the Absolute is the same. I didn't like SPV, but there is hope for the Absolute.

I've called Manitou. I'm simply waiting to hear back.

MattSavage

P
    No, I'm afraid not... You either need all new internals for the spring side or heavy modification of existing parts which is irreversible. Better off just buying the length you need or or going travel adjustable.

A Minute with the MARS air spring would be much better than the IT if travel adjust isn't absolutely necessary.
    "I wrote a hit play! What have you ever done?!"

Have Ashtray, Will Travel....

mtbr member
    my IT spring isnt very smooth, and it ramps up a lot. one sort of plus side of that is that i can REALLY hammer the fork and it never bottoms. it ramps up late so you can still use a reasonable amount of travel (unlike a float).

my abs+ damper didnt play well with my IT spring. i dont think manitou even offers abs+ with IT (i frankenforked mine).

Addicted
    May 2006
    I spent a little bit of time riding my 2010 Lyric and my 2008 Fox Float RL 140.
    I certainly find advantages in both. Now, I'm not considering a Lyric for this build but I was looking more at the dampers.

I think I'll probably go for the Fox, to save some cash over grabbing the WC, but I'm still undecided. I've got another 2 months until I really have to decide anyway.

mtbr member
    you dont have to get the WC. the regular air sprung revs are still 3.7lbs and pretty cheap.

Addicted
    May 2006
    I'm aware of this. That;s what makes the decision so hard.
    I get to go back to work Tuesday. I'll check into pricing and see what comes out on top. I'm pretty sure price wise the Rev is a better deal, we shall see though.

Huffy Rider
    FWIW, I am about 10 lbs lighter and ride a Rev on my Reign 0, never use the lockout, front or rear. (RP-23)

mtbr member
    May 2007

As written above, Project 321 does an adapter. The guy who runs Proj 321 is really into making sure it works right for your bike. The quality it there too. He would rather sell a good item, than a bunch of cheap high volume ones.

Also, for 2011, Cannondale has a "Lefty 4 All" program. Basically, you get the lefty and adapter from Cannondale. Cannondale says it will work on 80% of the bikes out there.

inner peace to make peace
    Would anyone update this thread with 2017 information?

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut View Post
    Sure, it's 2017, no one is looking for stupid-light 140mm forks
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Ha! The fox 34 fit 4 is quite light and works really well. They knocked some weight off recently. I think it's under 4lbs. Otherwise look for the longest Sid you can find.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TrailNut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Sure, it's 2017, no one is looking for stupid-light 140mm forks
    and all the new leftys got heavier and reliability went into the toilet.

I'm glad I never upgraded my booted lefty.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    and all the new leftys got heavier and reliability went into the toilet.

I'm glad I never upgraded my booted lefty.
    New Lefty has been a disappointment thus far, but after blowing up my solo and having the 2spring put in under warranty. I'm actually liking how the fork rides quite a bit. Let's see how long it lastes though.