mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Super D racing...

So this coming season I am going to do some racing. I like being challenged and think it would just be a good time.
    I plan to do a DS race too, (posted that int he DH/FR forum) to see how that is, possibly one XC race. (the XC race is at my local trail system which I ride all the time, so I HAVE to do that one).

Now, from what I read, Super D is basically an all mountain race, needing to be able to have climb and bomb hills. Sounds like fun to me.

Training- is there anything specific I should work on? Is there any particular part more important that another?

Parts- DH tires or Tubes? Or is single ply ok? Or does it just depend on the course terrain of the given race venue?

Gear- leg armor? Fullface? Skate helmet? I always ride with a skate helmet, but would this be a situation where fullface should be standard?

Any tips/ideas/observations would be helpful. I want to make sure I cover my bases so when I get to the start, I am "somewhat" prepared. (im never prepared haha).

Also, I ride a parker with a domain uturn and a van rc coil out back. Any set up preferences you all use?

Thanks all, I appreciate it

usually cranky
    it depends on the course, it can vary a lot. generally there is more up than down and climbing poweress wont matter a whole lot. again bike setup and gear depends on the course, sometimes a xc race bike is best, sometimes a burly rig with 7'' of travel is best.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    ok I gotcha, thats kinda what I was thinking, but I figured I would see what everyone else though.

So in a nutshell- focus on climbing endurance, and change gearing per course conditions.

Do I have it right?

usually cranky
    almost. gear will change with the course, climbing doesnt matter too much.

Www.rvmba.org
    Feb 2009
    Climbing ability does matter. Depending on the course of course. That is where many Super D's are won or lost. We have 2 local Super D's. One is 4 miles and the other 12. Both have a short but significant climb and pedally sections. This is why you see top pro XC guys winning.

Many guys can rip downhill. Not everyone can fly uphill. And if you can do both. You win.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Focus on fitness first, descending abilities second. As mentioned above, a lot of pro super d races are won by XC racers. I always though XC racers were slow descenders, until one passed me on a downhill section of a super d race.

Also, make your bike as light as possible while keeping it comfortable for the downhills.

mtbr member
    Super D is a great combination, you can't just win the race by climbing fast or descending fast alone. With mass start Super D the fastest guys up the short climbs are usually the winner. You have to sprint like no other on the flat sections and never let off on the power. Most super d tends to be very short under 15mina allowing you to release full effort. With Lemans start you must be a quick runner also, the sprint off the start will immediately determine if you even have a chance at podium in the end. Also make sure you warm up for a good hour or so before a Super d as you want to head into it as loose as possible.

As for bike setup and gear, I would run a reliable tire. Tubeless preferred this way you don't have to deal with pinch flats or anything. In Super D a mechanical on the bike means you are out of the race. The time it takes to change a tube you would have already fallen to the back of the pack. Main thing to worry about is a durable tire setup. As for riding gear you want to pack light, similar to a DH racer. No water and maybe just a small multi tool. I personally would wear lycra for a super D race with no armor as the pedal sections are more important to me then the descent. Chances of you gaining and losing a position during the flats/climbs are much higher then that of the descent.

cycle dad
    Old post but handy considering I am doing my first race later this week