mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Sun Ringle' AM Charger Pro Wheelset Questions

I've pretty much decided that this wheelset will be the one I use on my upcoming Intense build, but I have a couple of questions regarding both front, and rear axles.

1. I will be using the 20mm end caps. When installing them into the front axle, is there anything I should know beforehand to make sure they are seated correctly?

2. I understand that the rear axle is convertible to 142x12. Will I need to purchase the end caps, as well as a thru axle for this application?
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I've pretty much decided that this wheelset will be the one I use on my upcoming Intense build, but I have a couple of questions regarding both front, and rear axles.

1. I will be using the 20mm end caps. When installing them into the front axle, is there anything I should know beforehand to make sure they are seated correctly?

2. I understand that the rear axle is convertible to 142x12. Will I need to purchase the end caps, as well as a thru axle for this application?
    For the front, when you push the axle caps ou will feel them click in...very easy..if they are not set properly they will not fit in the fork.

For the rear, i dont remember if it need special end caps.
    That said , the axle itself should be coming with your frame not the wheel.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

Stand back
    Quote Originally Posted by tartosuc View Post
    For the front, when you push the axle caps ou will feel them click in...very easy..if they are not set properly they will not fit in the fork.

For the rear, i dont remember if it need special end caps.
    That said , the axle itself should be coming with your frame not the wheel.
    What model year wheels do you have? Any pics of the endcaps? My Charger Pros were new this May, and the 20mm endcaps don't click into anything - they fit in the fork, but have nothing to hold them from falling off when I remove the wheel. I've been wondering if something was missing.
    Golden Bike Park

Golden Connector Trails need your support!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinboyer View Post
    I asked Sun Ringle about this awhile back and they do have end caps for 142x12. Sun ringle said I had to order it from an authorized retailer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbabuser View Post
    What model year wheels do you have? Any pics of the endcaps? My Charger Pros were new this May, and the 20mm endcaps don't click into anything - they fit in the fork, but have nothing to hold them from falling off when I remove the wheel. I've been wondering if something was missing.
    Mines are charger expert 2011 but i know people with charger pro and the end caps dont fall off.
    expensive cars are a waste of money. Expensive bikes...not so much!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I have the first year, the 20mm end caps had to really be whacked onto the hub, it's mentioned in the MTBR review of these. Mine didn't include the 142mm end caps, ordered from pricepoint. If you have a 142x12 bike it should include it's own axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just talked to Johnny at Intense today, he builds up all the demo bikes for Intense, and he explained that the frame does not come with the axle, but does come with dropouts for 142x12. He said that Intense recommends using the DT Swiss RWS x-12 thru axle.

DT Swiss - RWS for X-12

The only thing other than that would be the end caps from Sun Ringle'. He told me to make sure to get the right ones. It seems Sun makes red end caps and black end caps, and he was thinking that they are not identical. I asked if I should call Sun and he said I could, but they were hard to get hold of.

edit...I talked to Sun and got the part number for the end caps, so all is well.
    Last edited by kevinboyer; 10-26-2012 at 12:49 PM.
    http://kevinboyer.zenfolio.com/

*2014 Knolly Endorphin...Custom Build*
    *2013 Intense Spider 29...Custom Build*