Who is the Drizzle?

Sun Equalizer Disc Jockey Wheelset

http://wheelworld.com/product/sun-eq...elset-7204.htm

Saw these on wheelworld.com for $189. I'm looking for a new wheelset that will be good for AM and some small drops/hucks. As bomb proof as possible without costing a lot. College student budget Anyone have these or know if they would be good?

mtbr member
    Hmmmm, probably not the set you want. I have a set on my XC bike and they are great. But you mentioned bomb proof so I would look to Azonic Outlaws on a budget. I have them too on my full suspension and they are great wheels.

Who is the Drizzle?
    Okay great, thank you. Yeah I do some technical single track and parts are full of big rocks, plus I'm looking to do more jumping and small drops. I saw a couple reviews saying they were strong but I couldn't tell if they would be up for pretty rough riding and doing some hucks. I'll definitely look into getting the Outlaws. Now just deciding to either play it safe and go with the black or add some bling and color to my ride and go with the red haha what do you think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sun Equalizer Disc Jockey Wheelset-myharo2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Here is what I did to my build with Outlaws......................

My new old stock 08' XC204 build

mtbr member
    If you still decide to get the Sun wheels I just bought a pair a couple of days ago on ebay for 150 + 20 shipping. I think the guy still has a few if you wanna check. Just do a search on ebay.

Who is the Drizzle?
    Oh wow, very nice set up man! The color combo looks great! Now you have me considering the gold wheelset haha... there is some yellowish gold pinstriping on the frame so it would work. How do they hold up against scratching and any chipping?

Who is the Drizzle?
    Quote Originally Posted by danvar
    If you still decide to get the Sun wheels I just bought a pair a couple of days ago on ebay for 150 + 20 shipping. I think the guy still has a few if you wanna check. Just do a search on ebay.
    Damn thats a good deal... I'm just worried those won't hold up though. Going to do more research just to be sure. Thank you for the info though man, much appreciated
    Now if only I could find a deal like that on the Outlaws haha

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FreeRideHaro
    Oh wow, very nice set up man! The color combo looks great! Now you have me considering the gold wheelset haha... there is some yellowish gold pinstriping on the frame so it would work. How do they hold up against scratching and any chipping?
    No issue so far and I abuse them. I mean I ride some tough single track and I am not easy on the ride. I love them. Shop around and you can find them on sale usually under $300 delivered.

They are nice and for the money a great wheelset for abusing.

Don't get me wrong, I have a set of Sun Ringle's like you asked about on my hardtail I use for pure XC riding/single tracking. And yes there has been a few times I have taken them across some wicked stuff and they held up. But I would worry about constant terrain like that with them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    What's the width of those Equalizers? (inside or outside)

Who is the Drizzle?
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnNotice
    No issue so far and I abuse them. I mean I ride some tough single track and I am not easy on the ride. I love them. Shop around and you can find them on sale usually under $300 delivered.

They are nice and for the money a great wheelset for abusing.

Don't get me wrong, I have a set of Sun Ringle's like you asked about on my hardtail I use for pure XC riding/single tracking. And yes there has been a few times I have taken them across some wicked stuff and they held up. But I would worry about constant terrain like that with them.
    Awesome, I will definitely look into getting the outlaws. I agree, the sun equalizers look like good wheels but I much rather be safe and go with ones that are known to hold up against all kinds of riding and tough terrain. Thanks for the info

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    What's the width of those Equalizers? (inside or outside)
    The measurements escape my recollection right off. Sorry.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BurnNotice
    The measurements escape my recollection right off. Sorry.
    I think I saw 24mm listed somewhere, but not whether it's inside or outside width.

mtbr member
    In fact at WheelWorld you will see my review of them. I bought my Azonic Outlaws at some joint in NY I found doing an internet search for retailers and the cheapest price I could find. Seems like I paid around $300 delivered back in the spring.

I would do some searching via internet and find them on sale. They are truly a nice wheelset. I have the 20 mm thru axle with the Marzocchi Bomber 55TST2 fork and the front is as stiff as a 2x4 stud!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have them, definitely worth the money in my opinion. I'm 185 and ride aggressive singletrack and these have held up just fine. Ive put them through plenty of 5+ foot drops and rough landings and they have remained true well after a years worth of abuse. If you have the money I guess I'd say go for the Azonics, but you won't be disappointed with the Equalizer, especially at half the price.

mtbr member
    I was thinking about your first choice and the Outlaws first, but I was turned off by the Sun because of width (24 mm) and then the Outlaws seemed good (swappable front hub from 9, 15 to 20 mm thru-axle) and found a good deal locally ($250 for the gold color) but it looked a bit heavy. I ended up with these:

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes..._1091645_-1___

$200 out the door with 15% coupon (I bought them individually at $99 and $119). They're wide (28 mm), lighter than Azonics, interchangeable front hubs and 10 mm thru-axle rear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sun Equalizer Disc Jockey Wheelset-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oh, and they're stiff as hell. No wheel flex deflection from gnarly rock garden descents.