Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Summer Hardtail Project ( component help)

3K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  trailadvent 
#1 ·
So i'm in the process of building a new bike for this summer, i've never built a bike before, but i'd love to build one. Ive ridden my spec. hardrock pro for a little over a year now, lots of hard riding, was a good entry level bike but im in need of an upgrade. So im still looking for some components, there is so much out there, so many reviews. i need some opinions.

im 6'0 and 220ish with helmet/pads, so im defiantly looking for some strong components ( broke the stem and handle bar on the hardrock on 2 occasions lol)

my budget is about $2k overall

Frame : see my thread here for some frames ive been looking at, but in a short run down: ns bikes surge, transition transam/vagrant, sc chameleon, on one 456.

Fork: probably going with a fox float or marz 55 ( probably a 2007/8 model)

Wheelset: no idea here, input wanted ( strong please lol)

Tires: This really comes down to what im riding in: Lots of trails, wet, roots, medium rocks, mud, river beds.

Breaks : avid juicys, hayes, im not sure still researching these, i know i want some larger rotors compared to whats on the hardrock.

Headset: probably Chris King, unless there is something that comes close in quality for less $$

Stem: Raceface Diablous

Grips: Oury Grips

Handle bars: I want a riser, lots to choose from here, easton, raceface, something nice and strong.

Crankset/drivetrain: Im debating going singlespeed, or at most 1x9. I rarely switch gears and i love to stand up and pound down some power. Defiantly going to need a bash guard. Are chain tensioners worth it?

Pedals: i dont think im ready for going clips yet.

Now i know i have to be missing some components, so feel free to chime in and let me know what im missing something or suggest parts!

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
If you search through the suspension forum you will see alot of people seem to be unhappy with Fox lately. I thought I was going to put a fox on my build, but I ended up with a Pike.

Have you checked bicylewheelwarehouse (forum sponsor) for wheels? I got a set from them and have had good luck with them. I thought they were priced well and they have also held up.

You can find CK headsets for about $115 if you look around. I actually found a few other brands to be as expensive or more expensive...

#4 ·
Headset... you might want to look at Hope. IMHO just as good as Chris King (although this comment will get some flaming from CK fans). About half the price.

Hope make fantastic components that can survive the wet, mud and generally appaling weather in the UK. It would make a fine and cheaper choice for your build.

#8 ·
Sunline vone handlebars: nice and wide.
thomson stem: light and strong.
formula brakes: great lever feel, no issues in 2 years. Magura Louise BAT are even more hassle free and feel great squeezing, but i'd go with formula based on the levers alone.
XT or SLX cranks: i find shimano cranks the easiest most intuitive to put on/off.
I run Gamut chainguides on my 1x9 and would highly recommend them.
For SS, I have a gamut bashguard, but may spring for a MRP XCG since i find bashguards on a SS looks a bit clunky.

#12 ·
Seond the Hope! headsets very underrated! especially for a hardcore setup!

Fork I'd go with a PIKE on a AM HT its my futchur setup, I have everything except the frame, one of yr choices is also on my list!

Fox forks are not! I have a PIKE and its done it it all so it will get a service when time comes new seals and be ready for another 3 years of abuse, oh it still looks like new!

I'm gonna run mine with a mixture of single ring front not sure of front ring yet 22t or 30/32t and 11/25 maybe 11/28rear, and SS mode with tensioner for SS days! Bash look a a Gamut P20 if going single ring up front on a 32 and lower!

Wheels good solid build by good builder worth its weight in gold imo! Don't go too light, stiff and strong built for your weight and ride style is key, not based on internet guesses do what is best for you, rest is subjective unless its broken down, and people rarely do that on here! they just yap! and post bling pictures!

Have a read of Brants info on the 456 summer and his idea's of Geo ya might revise ya thoughts of those fork options, I tend to agree with his thoughts! nice project, enjoy, look fwd to seeing it's completion someday with what ever ya go for! Chromag do some nice stuff in bars stems and posts also seats! Im a Thomson fan just for the fact it pays for itself in the long run, still got a post nearly 10yos old elite brilliant! from HT to Dh bike!:thumbsup:

Flats will be fine and killa imo, tires for those conditions pick up some Maxxis 2.35 swampthings super tacky awesome tires, don;t be put off by wet tires for those condiotns they rock! not to be underated, a quick swap if ya going elswhere is not a big hassle for the performance gain! and fun factor!

I'd not get either of those brakes if you ride in the wet alot they squeak like nothing Magura Louise non carbons alloys! 180/160 combo will be all the power you need Im similar size and I can nose wheelie all day! Or go Formula K24s, Im a Maggies fan though 08s are great!

#13 ·
the vagrant is a great looking frame and from what i hear a great riding one i think id go with some azonic outlaws for the wheels or some SUNN ADD lites. I would look at magure or formula for brakes like has been said above.. can to wrong with marzzochi and look into a lyric maybe??? just a thought. i'm running a two nine right now and i like it more hill options but i like how your build looks very smartly put together for the most part

#14 ·
Ah, something i know a little bit about. I've had a couple chunky hardtails. First off, I haven't had much luck with SS on the AM hardtails, they get really short and track poorly when you stand in the saddle. 1x9 has worked well for me, usually when i run out of gears i've run out of traction at the same time. I only use a jumpstop, ss ring and short rd, and when the chain falls off i've probably fallen off too. As far as cranks go, i much prefer the pinch design that fsa and shimano use to the truvativ design. I've got some fsa v-drive SS cranks cuz they were cheap, well designed, came with a bash/ss ring and were available in 180mm. They've been flawless for me.

As far as i can tell the RS pike is the only fork in the 140mm category, the fox option is built too slender for the travel and marzo has had a disaster year. I'd take a quality cane creek over a king, the CC design works better with a long travel fork. I have S3's on 2 bikes and they've been smooth, easy to adjust, and don't get bonked out of adjustment. I don't think i would take them from frame to frame, but they were like 30$ each.

I've got a steel inbred and a alu soul cycles, and for riding rough trails i actually prefer the alu ride. It's not quite as comfy when i'm just cruising along, but it tracks better and feels more composed when it takes a big hit. It's also 1.5lbs lighter and built for more abuse. The NS society appeals to me more than the surge, but im a closet spandex wearer. It's worth paying to BB height on these guys, as there's a lot of variation between frames. My soul is supposed to have a 12" bb, and i very rarely wish i had more, although the clipless do afford a little more space.

As far as brakes go, the newest generation of brakes is very good, from all manufacturers. The strokers impress me the least from what i've played with (i'd rather use j5's), but they're better than most on the market a few years ago. Formulas really feel wonderful, but i've always opted for really common brakes because of LBS parts availability. I don't know why anyone wouldn't stick an 8" rotor in the front, a couple extra grams for near infinite thermal capacity and more power is a small price to pay. Not to mention the oogling you get from the ranger that just stopped you for speeding.

hopefully there's something in that rambling worth taking home.

#15 ·
Well now im considering a pike 454.

drivetrain, still debating SS, could save some cash for other stuff by going SS and upgrading to 1x9 if i feel i need it later? Whats a good SS setup ( im talking crank, chain guide, bashguard, cog, chain, ect) and would i need to get a specific hub for SS or will a normal hub work?

breaks, still have a few options to choose from. Magura Louise Bat 2009s look nice.

been looking at a few wheel sets, anyone a fan of the transition revolution wheels?

#16 ·
Hydrogen said:
Well now im considering a pike 454.

drivetrain, still debating SS, could save some cash for other stuff by going SS and upgrading to 1x9 if i feel i need it later? Whats a good SS setup ( im talking crank, chain guide, bashguard, cog, chain, ect) and would i need to get a specific hub for SS or will a normal hub work?

breaks, still have a few options to choose from. Magura Louise Bat 2009s look nice.

been looking at a few wheel sets, anyone a fan of the transition revolution wheels?
I would recommend going 2x9 unless you're an exceptional climber. If you have to go single speed, get a standard 9 speed hub and use a single speed conversion kit like the one made by Gusset. That way, if you want to add gears, you won't need a whole new hub later. For cranks, look at the Truvativ Stylo. They're awesome cranks for the money and light weight. As for chain guides, look into E.Thirteen products.

#17 · (Edited)
1x9 all the way. . . I'll post pics soon. I wanted SS, but didnt go for it, when I'm capable enough or want to I can switch to SS. . . 1x9 with an LG1 or MRP Mini G2.

I just built up a Trans Am from the ground up.

Look at the Transition wheelsets. . . affordable and durable. . . + colour choices and their prebuilt. I'm running XT bb / crankset with an x9 shifter and RD. Thomson stem and post, TBC 30" handle bar, and a Lyric.

Agreed with the 1x9 . . . I ride a whole lotta different stuff and I lose traction before I lose gears.

Regular hub, SS conversion, more options there.

The Juicy 5's are killer. I wish I had a 180 up front, perhaps even rear, but I'm fine with both at 160. . . straitline levers all the way.

#19 ·
#22 ·
Im gonna use my Deus so that crank will be sweet! I'd also go with a CG no issues if using 1x9 re drag etc its all in the head!

Single ring up front with a cassette in the rear is no issue I dunno why ya would want a dual ring myself, I ran my DJ SS on AM trails for a year no issues had a blast sure at times I pushed uphill, still had fun if not more at times!

This style of bike will be a hoot, set it up that way omo!

Gamut P20
http://www.gamutusa.com/p20.html

MRP - maybe a Mini G, might be overkill, but fun and funky!
http://www.mrpbike.com/product.php?section=product

I'm loving summer by the way ;)

#25 ·
Just ordered a rs pike 454, diablous stem, easton e70 handlebar and oury grips!

Still debating on a frame, but i have 2-3 months before i start riding again.

for a wheel set i think im going to go with hope pro 2 hubs, for rims mavic 717/719/819, still unsure about AM rims for a heavier rider.

#26 ·
Hydrogen said:
Just ordered a rs pike 454, diablous stem, easton e70 handlebar and oury grips!

Still debating on a frame, but i have 2-3 months before i start riding again.

for a wheel set i think im going to go with hope pro 2 hubs, for rims mavic 717/719/819, still unsure about AM rims for a heavier rider.
Great choice!

If ya $$ conscious like me and want long termers ya starting off well!

Looks at the On ON Summer contact Fo Schizzle on here! hell help ya out great frames!

Rims look no further than the Mavic 721! Im a big guy as well! I run DT 5.1s and SunMTXs

But my DH light weight set would be 721s which I would easily use for this bike!
My buddy LBS builds em up all the time I raced a couple of round on this rim last, crap back in 07 lost my years! I been off for awhile now too, those other rims are OK but weight to strength ratio go 721, I'm not an XC geek giving an advice Im a AM DH rider DJ rider nar rider no weight weanie!

Be careful on who gives you what ask and quantify why some specifies it, if a: as you mention price, and your size and ride style!

You've made a great start though!

Now get a On One Summer and 721s and kick arse in a few months!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.