mtbr member
    Dec 2012

Suggestions for Pedals and Shoes

So I am in the market for a new set of pedals and shoes. I have searched the internet high and low and I am so torn between what I should get. I ride mostly Ohio singletrack trails, so I see my fair share of climbs, but also have to go down and usually over rocks and roots. I have been told to try clipless, but I never have ridden with clipless. I like the CB Mallet 3 and I like the shoes similar to MT33, but I just don't know. Any suggestions or reviews anyone can offer would be helpful. I am open to try anything whether it clipless or platform just want some feedback.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    13 years on clipless (ATAC, shimano, and CB). I switched to flats 2 yrs ago and haven't looked back.

As far as the clipless options go, I'd say that I liked the ATAC systems the best. I've kept these pedals and use them occasionally, but I really like flats.

As far as shoes with a clipless system, get what fits you best. I have some shimano shoes and they're pretty good, but thats cause they fit me like a glove.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    My experience mirrors that of schlockinz. I am now wearing FiveTen Freerider VXi shoes and have yet to slip a pedal even during a recent mudfest ride.

As far as clipless goes ATACs were my favorite by far...consistent and reliable.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What type of platform pedals are you guys using?

What is your experience with climbing on a platform pedal?

mtbr member
    I rode clipless for 6 yrs (Shimano SPDs w/ Shimano shoes), been on platforms for the last 6. I have been using Kona platforms, just got some Blackspire platforms that I will be putting on this evening. I have never had dedicated riding shoes for my platforms -- I've always just used lowtop hiking shoes. I can't remember the last time I slipped a pedal or had any traction issues.

I don't think there is any noticeable difference as far as climbing goes. If I did many longer, flattish mtb rides where I was spinning for hours, I would probably be inclined to go clipless again. I do ride clipless on my road bike. But my riding preferences on the mtb make it so clipless is not so attractive for me.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I started on platforms and still ride them today. I like the feel of platform and also the ability to put a foot down. I have just heard so many people suggest to me to try out clipless that I am curious about them, but I don't want to invest in them and not like them after I ride them for awhile. That is why I was curious about platform clipless pedals. I see a lot of enduro racers use them and I was curious if there was a set that really stand out. I like the hiker shoe style of SPD shoes, but I have read so much about 5 10 shoes that I am almost wondering if I would be happier in a pair of them with a good set of platforms.

mtbr member

I started out with flats and like you wanted to try clipless. I bought a set of Shimano 540 pedals and they have been an excellent buy. I switch out now and then depending on where I'm riding. But as of the last two years I've been dedicated to clips. Im finding myself improving. Maybe I just like the feel of being connected to the bike.

As far as shoes go that's you're call. I've had lake (very tough and heavy) and Shimano, fit well. Try them all before you buy.

The Shimano set up wont set you back a ton and are easy to set up. Can't hurt to try good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangtime View Post
    I started out with flats and like you wanted to try clipless. I bought a set of Shimano 540 pedals and they have been an excellent buy. I switch out now and then depending on where I'm riding. But as of the last two years I've been dedicated to clips. Im finding myself improving. Maybe I just like the feel of being connected to the bike.
    I lol'd

I rode with clipless for a while on my track bike but went back to clips and straps since I mostly just commute on it and not changing shoes is nice. I did really like the connected feel and ability to pull up though.

Last summer my friend gave me some eggbeaters so I tried those out on my mtb. I rode a pretty easy trail that I know well (Green Mtn for anyone local) and I was completely sketched out. I didn't even feel comfortable climbing let alone going down steeper sections. I never had an issue on the road but could tell right away it was not for me on the trail. Granted, I only did that 10 mile ride before eventually breaking my hand a few days later but I don't think I'll go back.

Sorry I don't have any real suggestions on what to get of either variety, I'm looking for some thinner flats myself and just started looking.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by orbThorn View Post
    I lol'd

I rode with clipless for a while on my track bike but went back to clips and straps since I mostly just commute on it and not changing shoes is nice. I did really like the connected feel and ability to pull up though.

Last summer my friend gave me some eggbeaters so I tried those out on my mtb. I rode a pretty easy trail that I know well (Green Mtn for anyone local) and I was completely sketched out. I didn't even feel comfortable climbing let alone going down steeper sections. I never had an issue on the road but could tell right away it was not for me on the trail. Granted, I only did that 10 mile ride before eventually breaking my hand a few days later but I don't think I'll go back.

Sorry I don't have any real suggestions on what to get of either variety, I'm looking for some thinner flats myself and just started looking.
    You laugh at my post and you basically tell us how you have no real experience at all. Well done!!

mtbr member
    Ran clipless for 6yrs. Now have flats on everying. I'm using crampon pedals.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    You laugh at my post and you basically tell us how you have no real experience at all. Well done!!
    I think he was making a joke about the clipless/clips reference, not about the information you were providing.

New rider here and just got MG-1s and Freeriders and they seem awesome so far.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Shimano SPD pedals and Shimano shoes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think so many clipless riders have been doing it so long its really second nature.

my base experience before mountain biking was bmx with flats. I did try clipless a short while when bmx racing also. while more effective for spinning i never attempted jumps that were questionable in clipless. the same went after a friend convinced me clipless was the the only way to go when I started mountain biking with him. after 6 months, one too many stall outs during a teeter totter rock garden climb; ending in an bashed elbow, or not being able to get my foot out in a sudden slide cornering, or not going for a technical steep section I new I had a chance at, out of fear of summersaulting down the mountain with the bike attached to my feet, or the cracked set of ribs from sliding out on an off cambered turn in dg. I finally said screw it. I don't care how much clipless helps me spin, or how connected I feel. its holding me back from the way I enjoy riding.

if I were racing I would probably actually use them due to pedaling efficiency.

I just know how to crash better or even save it better in flats. there are just times where I need to get away from the bike when things go sour. clipless your glued in for that split second too late.
    but that's just me. some will argue most dh riders use them, or you just don't know how to ride them. well there probably right. im gave um shot and got over it. JMO there is a learning curve. like someone said above, if I were a roadie there would be no question, or if I just rode moderate and controlled trails I would also.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akiracornell View Post
    I think so many clipless riders have been doing it so long its really second nature.

my base experience before mountain biking was bmx with flats. I did try clipless a short while when bmx racing also. while more effective for spinning i never attempted jumps that were questionable in clipless. the same went after a friend convinced me clipless was the the only way to go when I started mountain biking with him. after 6 months, one too many stall outs during a teeter totter rock garden climb; ending in an bashed elbow, or not being able to get my foot out in a sudden slide cornering, or not going for a technical steep section I new I had a chance at, out of fear of summersaulting down the mountain with the bike attached to my feet, or the cracked set of ribs from sliding out on an off cambered turn in dg. I finally said screw it. I don't care how much clipless helps me spin, or how connected I feel. its holding me back from the way I enjoy riding.

if I were racing I would probably actually use them due to pedaling efficiency.

I just know how to crash better or even save it better in flats. there are just times where I need to get away from the bike when things go sour. clipless your glued in for that split second too late.
    but that's just me. some will argue most dh riders use them, or you just don't know how to ride them. well there probably right. im gave um shot and got over it. JMO there is a learning curve. like someone said above, if I were a roadie there would be no question, or if I just rode moderate and controlled trails I would also.
    This is good info thank you. I started out riding BMX so everything I know is on flats when it comes to riding a bike. I think if I were to switch to clipless I would end up with the Shimano M647 which seem to get the best reviews with a Shimano MT33 shoes, but that is a big if right now.

I have been looking at the Sun Ringle ZuZu pedals paired with a pair Teva or 5 10 shoes I think would be a good set up.

Anyone have any thoughts on either setup?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    both, match the setup to the ride. It is not that expensive to have both and fairly quick to interchange between them.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I started MTB on clipless (Time) about 10 years ago and almost gave up after 5 years of riding (progress too slow, fear of crashes etc.). I restarted the hobby on flats 3 years ago, took lessons, got into downhill and dirt jumping, had 3 fractures and one good concussion and have generally had nearly illegal amount of fun
    2 weeks ago I returned to clipless pedals (xtr trail) on my all-mountain/cross-country bike and I love it. Flats will definitely stay on tiny DJ bike but for bigger bikes I feel being clipped provides better range of motion - and of course more power when climbing. I will put clipless (probably Mallet DH) on my downhill bike this season.
    All things considered I feel that riding flats teaches correct technique and is very important and fun - but clipless do have advantages for many styles of riding... For riding cross country on relatively flat terrain clipless pedals are natural choice - especially for somebody who knows how to ride flats...

Inspector Gadget
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    So I am in the market for a new set of pedals and shoes. I have searched the internet high and low and I am so torn between what I should get. I ride mostly Ohio singletrack trails, so I see my fair share of climbs, but also have to go down and usually over rocks and roots. I have been told to try clipless, but I never have ridden with clipless. I like the CB Mallet 3 and I like the shoes similar to MT33, but I just don't know. Any suggestions or reviews anyone can offer would be helpful. I am open to try anything whether it clipless or platform just want some feedback.
    IF you want to try clipless... those mt33 shoes, the shimano 424 pedals and some sh-56 multi-release cleats can be had for around $100. You wont have a big $ commitment and reading about whether you should do it or not on the internet wont help you. Give them an honest try... a month or more and see where you are after that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    No I was laughing about "riding clipless" and being dedicated to "clips". AKA a total contradiction due to silly naming. I gave the OP my exp switching to clipless on MTB and back to flats so not really sure how you missed that. Referring to this:

I am open to try anything whether it clipless or platform just want some feedback.

mtbr member
    flats and 5.10 shoes. you can spin in flats.

I am happy with DMR Vaults. Spank Spikes would have been my second choice. Fyxation Mesa MP are a nice cheap pedal.

mtbr member
    i got these, love em. theyre built like a tank. and theres washers between the pedal and the pins that you can remove to make the pins longer. im still using them with the washers tho, they grip fine

got them for like $65 from Amazon

2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by WasteMindu View Post
    What type of platform pedals are you guys using?

What is your experience with climbing on a platform pedal?
    Been riding with 5.10's and I've got defacto's and mg-1's. A good pedal makes a difference. Get one with a fair amount of pins that are replaceable.

The only time that I noticed a problem with flats and climbing was when I had to hump the rear wheel over rutted out slick roots. It's easier to lift the rear with clipless in that situation. That being said, I can do that now in my flats, just took a while to learn how to. Technical climbs I feel much better in flats, I'm more willing to push harder and farther.

The only time that I really miss clipless is when I'm riding hard through a rock garden. I haven't slipped a pedal since I switched to 5.10's, but every now and then my foot will shift a bit if I try to boost or float over something that I shouldn't.
    Just another redneck with a bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I love my time xc6 pedals, i never really like eggbeaters or mallets they werent very confidence inspiring.
    I've had several brands of shoes with the m088 shimano being my favorite they are wide, all day comfortable and have a ratchet tension.

Started on flats for about a year. Rode mtb clipless for about 6 months, I have always rode clipless on the road bike but I don't have nearly as much fun as flats on a mountain bike. So, I took off the clipless and went back to flats and don't regret it at all. With flats for me at least I can shift my foot around more while I'm in the air or railing a berm. And I haven't noticed any hill climbing loss. I wear Nike skateboarding shoes and e13 lg1r pedals