mtbr member
    May 2016

suggestions for a new trail bike

Hi all, this is my first post on this forum. I'm writing from Italy.
    I'm in the market for a new trail bike, and my choice has been drilled to the following:

1) Ripley LS
    2) SC Hightower
    3) Evil the Following

One of the main reason i'm writing here is that here in Italy it is really difficult demo one of the above bikes since they are considered such as elite brand. For example, the closer bike shop asks 80 euro if you want to demo one. Free demo only happens once a year.

That is why i'm tryin to reduce my choices and demo the most interesting one.
    I had the V1 Ripley with a 140 Pike upfront. It was perfect except for the rear which was not plush (as i expected), but i bought it used from a website and no way to test.

I rode the Following for a few mins, it was plush, but i'm a bit afraid with the uphill and his pedaling position.

Never tried the SC Hightower.

Just to give you an idea of what i mean for plush rear, just keep as example the specialized stumpjumper.

Last but not least, i will use this bike for alpine tour (50 to 80 kms) with 2000mt of elevation.

Thanks in advance to all of you which would like to add their opinion!

Andrea

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Speaking from experience, the Ripley (and most DW-link bikes) are pretty sensitive to shock setup. That's going to be true to a fair extent for the other two bikes too. 25% sag to 30% sag to 33% sag really changes how the bike rides. Having the rebound too fast or too slow could each make the bike feel "not plush".

You really, really want to demo a bike. 80 euros is nothing compared to the 2k-7k you'll drop on a new bike. In the States, many shops charge a similar fee but will deduct that from the bike purchase price if you buy it. I bet your shops can offer something similar.

When you're looking at high-end botique bikes like these, the differences between them are all in how they ride. You can't know exactly how you'll like the fit, or the geometry, or how it responds on the trail without riding them first. You want to take time to set up the suspension, or even try a few different settings, on the trail, before getting an idea of how it really behaves.

That said, all three are going to be excellent, ripping bikes, three of the top choices in that category.

The Ripley will probably be the best, most efficient climber of the bunch. The Hightower I would expect to ride similar to a Bronson, which means it'll probably be an efficient climber but a little chattery. I haven't thrown a leg over the Following, from what I've read it should be a competent climber but the least efficient of the three.

Just to give you an idea of what i mean for plush rear, just keep as example the specialized stumpjumper.
    I don't think it's clear what you mean here - "plush" is a really vague term. Do you want a suspension that rides like a cushy couch? Or one that is well-controlled that stays composed at speed? Or suspension that is best at eliminating trail chatter? Or one that soaks up big hits really well? Etc.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    have to ask, if you can't demo any of those bikes, why are you so set on them?

Dream it, Do it.
    The Evil The Following is a great descender but not as efficient for climbing. The dw-link bikes will be more efficient climbing bikes.
    Dirt Merchant Bikes
    www.dirtmerchantbikes.com
    Exclusive Seattle area dealer for Turner Bikes & a Cleary Bikes dealer

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Ok, let me clarify a bit.
    I'm set on them due to their geometries, which is something that - on paper - should work for my way of riding.

@lazarus: cushy couch should be the words that better describe what i'm looking for.
    I agree with sag settings. I am 183cm x 90kgs, adding more sag got me in lots of bottom out with the rear. Maybe a bad fox? (i bought the bike used and reselled after a month or so of not so good feeling with the rear)

@fsrxc: i demoed a following for few mins, and had a v1 ripley.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    ... Remedy 29er 9?

I demo'd a Fuel EX at a cost of $100aud, and got that off my bike purchase.

Either way, small investment to potentially save you thousands if you buy the "wrong" bike

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Check out the YT Jeffsy.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by sjmilin View Post
    Check out the YT Jeffsy.
    First time i see this bike and i am in love!!! Great build, great weight and great price. Looks to be not possible to try, but - in numbers - really close to hightower but with 2500 euros less ))

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by brained View Post
    First time i see this bike and i am in love!!! Great build, great weight and great price. Looks to be not possible to try, but - in numbers - really close to hightower but with 2500 euros less ))
    Yup. I'm getting the AL Comp 1 next month. Can't wait. There is no better value for the price right now. The only downside to YT is the lack of ability to demo unless you are local to their distributor. I am local to their statewise distributor and have been able to sit on one and will be taking it one for a demo next month before I purchase but am positive that I am going to buy. YT is a really good company and it is their first trail bike after establishing themselves in the downhill scene with the TUES.

mtbr member
    May 2016
    Great! Could you please let me know how it climbs once you can get your legs over there?