mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Suggestions for first All Mountain Bike

Hello all, I'm new to the forums and somewhat new to mountain biking. I've rode a couple of trails locally, but nothing to serious. I'm looking for a new entry level all mountain bike for Christmas as I currently have a 10 year old Raleigh M80 Mountain Bike. Ideally, I'm looking for a full suspension 29er that is under $1,000 dollars. As I said, I'm fairly new to All Mountain biking so I'm not looking to spend a whole lot of money on my first all mountain bike. I'm looking for a bike that can climb great and descend well also.

I've been looking into some bikes, and I found a couple that interest me. If anyone has owned or knows any info on the bikes, could you give me a thumbs up or thumbs down on them?

Santa Cruz Heckler
    Santa Cruz Bicycles Heckler
    On MTBR, the santa cruz heckler is listed as $1,000. Although its on the expensive side of my budget, it looks like a nice bike.

Mongoose Teocali Comp
    Mongoose | Teocali Comp Mountain Bike with Freedrive Suntour Suspension and SRAM X5 components
    I'm not really sure about Mongoose, all I know is that they have some cheap low end bikes at Walmart. Would this be a good buy, on MTBR it's listed as $900.

Mongoose Salvo Elite or Salvo Comp
    http://www.mongoose.com/usa/salvo-elite-19598
    The mongoose website has the Elite at $974 and the comp at $750 or so. Good deal?

Diamondback Recoil 29er
    Diamondback Recoil XC Full Suspension Reviews - Mtbr.com
    I know this bike is listed as an XC Full Suspension, but could I get away with using it as an All-Mountain bike? The price is great at only $500-$600.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I can tell you the Santa Cruz heckler for a complete bike is more than 1000, as my wife has one of the new 2014 hecklers, and with the cheapest kit they had it wasn't 2600 I believe, also for a thousand I would look at a newer hardtail as it will likely be better than a 1000 dollar full suspension.

mtbr member
    get a 26" hardtail. that will give you the most bang for your buck. and dont buy used. the thing could break next week and you might have no warranty at all

a new $1,000 fs or 29er will be heavier, have crappier parts on it etc etc

most fs am bikes start around $2500-3000 and go all the way up to like $9-10 grand

if your serious about buying a fs am bike, and are willing to wait and save, Santa Cruz usually has sales on frames. theyve had Heckler frames on sale for $550 in the past. the frames are usually like $1,100 or so

if youre interested, keep an eye on their store... https://shop.santacruzbicycles.com/sale/frames.html
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Honestly for a 1000$ budget for a bike, used it going to be the way to go in my opinion. Check out the classifieds here on the classifieds on pinkbike.com has a large selection as well.

squish, squish in da fish
    i'd continue to ride the raleigh and save the peanuts. i know it's not what you want to hear, but it's the truth. like nauc said shoot for a 26" but look at used hardtails. IDK if a FS would be good for a first bike as it tends to mask bad habits. GL and let us know you you come up with

Cannondale Snob
    There's a Cannondale Prophet near me [Florida] with a Lefty and a new RP2, 1x9 with hydraulic disc brakes. It's a great bike in good shape and it's only $700obo.

There are lots of great used bikes in your price range, but you need to know what you're looking at to avoid the garbage and find the solid deals.

Yes, I know it "only" has 26" tires, but you "only" have $1,000...
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was going to get the Heckler, it's a hell of a bike. 5 year warranty, free bearing replacement, excellent fit and finish and a proven platform. You really can't go wrong. That's considered to be one of the best bangs-for-the-buck and comes in a pretty low price...but it's still closer to $2800 or so depending on your build after sales tax.

If you're dead set on suspension, and want AM...you might want to try an online vendor who's got some closeouts or go used. I always have an eye on Jenson's site, and Airborne as well just blew out some NEW but older left over models for like $400 bucks...so deals are out there you just have to look and be patient. The other thing I learned about biking...is don't skimp on the goods. Get some decent components and make sure the bike shop tunes them well. Otherwise you're going to feel like you bought a POS even though the frame is great and from a reputable company. Low-end components and bad tuning can ruin your experience for sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Awesome guys, thanks for all the quick replies! I checked one of my local bike shops, and they're offering a Norco fluid 7 at a discounted price of $1200 or so. I don't know much about the bike brand, but the owner of the shop said it was a pretty good entry level bike. I might look into that, or I might just save up some bucs and stick with my Raleigh M80. Whatever I decide to do, I'll definitely post it and keep you all updated! Once again, thanks for the comments and replies!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    It's not his first bike. It's a replacement bike for the one he's been riding for a long time.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by fumanchu95 View Post
    Hello all, I'm new to the forums and somewhat new to mountain biking. I've rode a couple of trails locally, but nothing to serious. I'm looking for a new entry level all mountain bike for Christmas as I currently have a 10 year old Raleigh M80 Mountain Bike.
    sounds pretty green to me. just because his bike is 10 yo doesn't mean he's been riding it that long