eat your porridge jordie

Suggestions for Chameleon build.

I wanna make a Chameleon my next bike, and I'm asking for suggestions on what you guys think I should put on it. My budget is gonna be about $1600. I am 6'3 225lbs. Right now just riding mild XC with some rocky stuff, but seriously plan on doing heavier stuff. I plan on picking up an XL Chameleon frame, will be scoping ebay for XL's. If I buy it new I'll get an Orange. Mostly what I'm looking around for is a wheelset. I was gonna go Hope Pro II's with Mavic 823 rims, but I'm not sure. I need to find where I'd get them built and everything too. For a fork, I was thinking 140mm Fox Vanilla RLC. For brakes I was thinking either some new Juicy 7's or some Hope Mini's. For a crankset, something along the lines of an FSA afterburner, or Shimano Hone or SAINT. Would run it as a 2x9, probably 24-34t up front with a bashguard. Sram X.9 on the backend, and an XT up front. Chris King headset, raceface dh bars, all the goodies for the cockpit and such. I really don't want to have my weak point be the wheelset. I suppose I could get something cheaper and right it until I break it. What are some other options for a decent wheelset that isn't gonna break my budget? Really what I'm looking for is what you guys think of the stuff I wanna get and if you would make any changes. Thanks in advance.
    "If you want to do something ordinary people can't, you have to be willing to do what ordinary people won't"

Fork: Pike with u-turn (i think u'll appreciate a 20mm axle)
    Brakes: Formula K18 (k24 if it fits ur budget)..I have k24 and they are hands down best feeling and quiet brakes. K18 will be similar in feel san adjustability.
    cranks: XT. No experience with the FSA, but Saint is probably overkill.
    Headset: At your weight, maybe the Hope or even FSA Pig since the CK seems to develop a creak for some bigger folks.
    Bars: Answer Protaper 31.6 (lighter than RF DH bars .. which is the Diabolous.. and plenty strong)
    I'd say Hopes with 823 will be nice and burly.. I'd go with lighter rims but I am a bit lighter than you.. personally I like somtehing with more engagement points in the back (Hadley).

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    i agree that Saint's are overkill, but don't let that turn you off of them.. at 225lbs. you'll appreciate the extra heft and thickness..

i dunno dude. i'm a big guy just like you, and I'm liking your build!

mtbr member
    I'd get a Pike or even a 36 Talas. At your weight you'll really appreciate a TA. I agree with pretty much everything unfluid one said. Saint cranks are unnesicary weight. Get some XTs. Afterburners have had issues with the pedal threads stripping out. I'd get some Shimano brakes. They feel great, modulate really well, are cheap, lightish, and reliable. XTs, Saints, XTRs, LXs even. Any of 'em will be fine. Kings are creaky. They were too cheap to liscense Cane Creeks design (like everyone else does), and as such aren't that great. FSA makes a really nice headset with angular needle bearings in the lower race that I really like. The name escapes me at the moment. Orbit __ __. Thomson stem and post, Answer ProTaper bar. As for wheels, Hope hubs are solid. 823s are nice, if not the lightest. UST compatability is a plus. If you want to save some weight, DT 5.1Ds are a lot lighter, and still plenty sturdy. If you want to save some money, Transition Revolutions or Azonic Outlaws are good options, though they come with a weight penalty.

spammy spam spam.

in the case you are exceeding ur budget and need to cut down somewhere.. I have a 2006 Z1 Light ETA 150mm that was overhauled 2 weeks ago with all new uppers 6 months ago that I may put up for sale once I get my Argyle next week. Just a thought if you want a burly TA fork. I had it on a similar HT frame... the Sinister Ridge and it was a great match.