mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Suggestions on 20mm wheel set

I am finally making the switch from QR to a 20mm on my Diamondback mission 3 with 6 inches of rear travel. I have been running a minute 1 set at 130 mm travel. I got a pike 409 coil u-turn.

My question is what lightish wheels do you all run? I have been running Rhyno Lite XL's for 2 seasons now and love them. I am thinking of just getting a 20 mm hub and a new Rhyno lite XL to build up. But I wanted to check what others are riding before I buy.

Also I am a aggressive rider, and super d racer so no light XC rims, because I will kill them in a hurry.
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

mtbr member
    I have always been a Mavic fan, however recently picked up a set of I9 / DT swiss 5.1. Am loving this setup. A tad on the pricey side, yes, but easily the best wheelset I have ever owned (even better then my Kings). Nice thing about the I9 hubs is you can convert them quickly from QR/20mm if you ever have the need. I believe the hope bulbs are like that as well?

banned
    Hope ProII/DT 5.1 is the combo of the year. Cheap as hell, too. You can convert them between qr and 20, yes.

Dirt Displacer
    Check out the Azonic Outlaw wheelset.

They're certainly not the lightest, but I'll be damned if they haven't stood up to the serious abuse I've put them through. I also run relatively low air pressure in my tires, and I've never gotten a pinch flat. And so far, they've only needed to be trued once, and even then they weren't that bad. The Outlaw wheelset is also really well priced for what you get.
    Bombardier :::: MCM #249

[SIZE="5"]Trails Listings, GPS Tracks, & Forums[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="5"]Singletracks.com[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    2nd the outlaws.

mtbr member
    I run Hope Pro II/Syncros DP25 and my brother runs the Transitions wheels. Transitions in 32 spoke would be great for your ride. I think they are basically the same as the Azonic wheels, they both use an Alex rim.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Hope ProII/DT 5.1 is the combo of the year. Cheap as hell, too. You can convert them between qr and 20, yes.
    2nd that..love my set!

mtbr member
    I've been running Hope's lace to DT5.1 on the front and a Hadley Hub on the rear. Love both, but I have to admit the Hadley craftmanship is a little better than the Hope (and more expensive).

Plus Hadley has great customer service. I had rotor bolt seize in place and Haldey replaced the hub shell for around $50 and shipped it back out in 2 days. Great company.

Fort Valley = Gnarl Fest
    Quote Originally Posted by steve owens
    2nd the outlaws.
    Make that a 3rd to the outlaws

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Azonic Outlaws are the best in the "bang for the buck" category ($270/set). I've had mine for about 10 months and they're still true after some considerable abuse. The one failure I have witnessed was due to carelessness - friend was still able to ride it out (about 4 - 5 miles of technical downhill). To top that off, he then sent the wheel back to Azonic and received a replacement within 8 -10 days. If that's not enough, check the three color combos they offer. . . sweet!

That's a quadruple or quintiple on the Outlaws. . .

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    chris king mavic 819 super fun love that bzzzzzzzzzzzz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    2nd that..love my set!
    3rd this one. My set is holding up great to the abuse my clyde weight dishes out. And lack of finesse Plus gotta love that freehub sound.

ride hard take risks
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Ok so I did a little research last night. I can get Sun ST8 track wheels or Sun SUV wheels for about the same price. I appreciate all your suggestions but for some reason I really like sun ringle. They seem to last.

So what do you think?
    2011 Sponsors: Rocky Mountain Racing, Golden Bike Shop, WTB

banned
    The DT is a newer design, with newer tech behind it. You mentioned wanting a lightish wheelset, and that's where the 5.1's come in. They are wide, durable, and reasonably weighted.

Err
    Calm like a bomb
    I have a set of SUV's on my Highline. Decent wheel set, 2100g IIRC. Loud hub.

I'm a big fan of Hadleys but Hopes are a little lighter and a little cheaper but not quite the engagement of the Hadleys.

The 5.1 rims are quite sweet and when matched up with high-end hubs and spokes you can build a very strong wheel set under 1900g.

Flying Goat
    Azonic Outlaws!!! Cheap, strong and not all that heavy...

the goose is loose!
    i'm also running Hope Pro2 hubs but with Syncros DS-28 rims. very good, very sturdy.

= dirt torpedo =
    Oct 2005
    Transition Revolution 32

check it yo

mtbr member
    Easton AM Havoc

20mm 1875g 28mm rim Indestructible

Pretty cheap
    http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDe...FAC%2DEAHavocA
    Trek T1 . MOJO SL 2011 Fox 32 Talas 1X10 FTW

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Hope Pro II, Mavic XM819Disc. Mavic rims will turn out heavier than advertised because of the special nipples (not included in listed weight), weight is similar to DT5.1 I think.
    The DT5.1's are wider, but the Mavic rims allow you to go UST.
    DT Competition Spokes 2.0/1.8

Front wheel: 20mm 921g
    Rear wheel: 135mm QR 1033g
    Total: 1947g