Thread: Stylus or Pig

mtbr member
    May 2009

Stylus or Pig

hey guys, i'm currently torn between these two. maybe you can help me decide.

stylus is used but costs less than a brand new pig. i can get the pig locally, stylus is abroad and i'll have to wait a while (2mos. the least) if i want it shipped for free.

ragley recommends a size 16 for my height (5'10") the stylus is a large and the previous owner is also 5'10".

i climb a lot and like to bomb the descents. our trail is a mix of rocks, loose sand, mud, roots, flowing singletrack, drops - your typical AM trail my current ride is an NS Society set-up 2x9 with xt bits and 140 fox vanilla. nothing wrong with it, i've had it for over a year but would like to try something new where i can slap on a lyric fork and hit some of those bigger drops.

your thoughts. thanks!

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" and have a large stylus. I really like the bike, and dealing with Chromag has been great. I prefer a 23.25-23.75 TT (based on my riding) so for me it would be the 18 BP, and the L Stylus.

I love the slack-ness of the Chromag with my Fox 36, but I do wish the seat angle were a bit steeper in this mode. I normally run it in 130mm mode on the talas to help with overall geometry, keeps me at about 67.5/71*, and is plenty of fun. With that said, the Ragley matches the numbers fairly well, and should be a great bike.

If it were me making the decision then the Chromag wins every time due to my personal experience. The BP is probably one of the only frames I would seriously consider otherwise. And if not for my current ride, the Ragley would probably win. I think it has just about the perfect geo for a trail bike, for me(With a 140mm fork - with a 160mm I dont know if I would like it as much)

Add that in with the wait, and you get mighty close to a 100% vote on the Ragley.

mtbr member
    I love the pig!!! It climbs, descends, drops and airs really well. Extremely well actually! I almost picked up a stylus, but this was my first hardtail in a long time so I was not prepared for the financial commitment for a new frame. That said, the only thing I would consider replacing my pig with would be a samurai which is even more $$$ than a stylus. Both companies answered all of my questions in a detailed and timely fashion. I don't think you are going to make a bad decision! good luck

mtbr member
    May 2009
    both frames are well regarded by their owners and have received glowing reviews. both have almost the same numbers except for the seat angle - slacker for the stylus and steeper (better) for the blue pig. for practical and convenient reasons i'd probably get the blue pig but there's something in the chromag brand that makes me want the stylus. in another thread it was mentioned that the pig is going to get an upgrade so i'll probably wait for that before i make a final decision.

thanks for the input guys!

local trails rider
    The Stylus frame is a little heavier: my Medium (bare frame) is about 3 kg and Blue Pig 18" is advertised as 5.6lb.

At about 5' 9.5", I feel the Medium is a good length for me. My build is a bit strange: a rigid 465 mm jump fork for trail riding. That gets me good stability and BB height. The seat tube is a little slack but still where I can get the seat in a good position by moving it a little forward. Then I am withing comfortable reach of the wide bar on a 70 mm stem too.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bicol_express
    i can get the pig locally, stylus is abroad and i'll have to wait a while (2mos. the least) if i want it shipped for free.
    If you can, get a demo on a Pig, the geometry is quite different to the Stylus.

Pig with a fully extended 140mm fork.
    Frame Size /Top Tube (effective) /Head Angle /Seat Angle /Chainstay /BBDrop /BB Height
    18in /23.7in / 65.6deg 71.6deg / 16.73in /0.2in /12.9in
    with 2.5 tyres

Stylus with a six inch fork
    Frame Size /Top Tube (effective) /Head Angle /Seat Angle /Chainstay /BBDrop /BB Height
    17.5in /23.5in / 67deg 70.6deg / 16.5in /0.2in /12.5in

The Chromag is steeper and lower even with a longer fork, the difference in handling between the two is probably quite noticable (only ridden the Pig, it was nice).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade

with 2.5 tyres

The Chromag is steeper and lower even with a longer fork, the difference in handling between the two is probably quite noticable (only ridden the Pig, it was nice).
    I have measured my Stylus is about 66.3-66.5 with a 160mm fork

The thing to remember is the Stylus is designed as a AM/FR hardtail, and it works well as a trail bike. With that said, it is comfortable with a 160mm fork, and I have seen em at Whistler with DC forks

The BP is designed as a trail bike with a 140mm with a nice slack geo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the new frame ragley's releasing looks like a better comparison to the stylus. Don't know any specs other than what is said here > new Ragley frame teaser!

Have a blue pig myself and it handles really well on both descents and climbing. Brant really hit the nail on the head with the geometry, so I would imagine the new frame (which looks more heavy duty than the pig) will have a similar and equally well thought out design... might be worth waiting and seeing the full specs on that bike if you'd have to wait two months for the stylus.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by neddead
    the new frame ragley's releasing looks like a better comparison to the stylus. Don't know any specs other than what is said here > new Ragley frame teaser!
    yeah, i'm sure it's going to be worth the wait. i think i can hold out a bit longer.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade

with 2.5 tyres

either way, i'm sure both frames will be a blast to ride