Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Stumpy FSR Evo vs Trek Remedy 8 (2011)

17K views 32 replies 21 participants last post by  LCW 
#1 ·
Trying to decide between those two... The Evo is better spec'd but also more expensive, wasn't able to find too many reviews online. Local dealer has on display but won't let me test it. I do like its looks. :D

Had the opportunity to test-ride a carbon Remedy the other day and liked it, only was a little unsure about which size would be right for me, was riding a 17.5 which seemed just a tiny bit large maybe (I'm 5"8).

Thoughts? Any chance someone here has ridden both?

#5 ·
Thanks, I"ll be riding a Stumpjumper Elite demo medium size over the weekend, although it's a bit different geometry-wise from the Evo an the Remedy I hope this will help me decide which size I need. Looks like I could be in-between S and M sizes... It's a bit hard for me to judge since my current bike is a 10 year old Marin hardtail and so far every FSR I tried seemed high and big in comparison, and the seating position much more upright.

One difference between Stumpy Evo and Remedy I found is that the Evo's head angle is slacker and the fork cannot be lowered, so maybe the Trek is better suited for climbing?

#6 ·
Really the price of the Stumpy EVO Expert is closer to the Remedy 9 than the Remedy 8 if you want to compare specs closer IMO. If you really want to compare to the Remedy 8 it should be the Stumpy Elite or Carbon. Both within a few hundred of the Rem 8. EVO Expert is a few hundred less than the Rem 9.

At 5' 8" I think you'd be nuts to be on a small. Ride em and see but my vote is the 17.5"

That Spec. EVO Expert has some nice specs/components but not a fan of the 67 degree HA which is a bit slack IMO for all around use Remedy has 68 degree and personally I love the ABP and floater suspension over the FSR setup. Tough call so spend as much time with each one even if it means just tinkering with it in the shop but rides will be so much better. Stuff might jump out you just dont like...like I can't stand how Spec. routes their cables under the bottom brackets. Totally bugs me but that's just me and you might care less. Have fun!

#7 ·
Skidad you're right of course, the Remedy 9 is closer to the SJ Evo price- and spec-wise. But to be honest to get the Evo I would already have to spend quite a bit more than I had originally planned, so the Remedy 9 is out of the question since it's even more than the Evo.

I'm in Euro-land and this is what the bikes cost here, to give you some perspective:

Remedy 8: 3,000 €
Remedy 9: 4,000 €
SJ Evo: 3,600 €
SJ Elite: 3,000 €

(Some discount might be possible, though.)

Anyway, I'm back from a 4-hour ride with the SJ Elite demo, I'm exhausted but it was lots of fun! Some observations:

The SJ Elite climbs really well, in fact definitely not worse than my old trusty Marin hardtail, the Stumpjumper's brain shock worked really well going uphill! The bike is also quite light which of course doesn't hurt going up. In some very steep and technical uphill situations I wished for the front to be a bit lower, or to put it differently I was glad it wasn't any taller.

Going downhill was really a blast for me, being used to a hardtail. But I think the Remedy I was able to try a couple of weeks ago was even better in that respect, just more plush and it felt safer to go fast. I should say though that I was only able to ride the Remedy for 20 mins and it was a different track. Also, I cannot say how well adjusted the shocks were.

So, I think I'm leaning towards the Remedy 8 at the moment, I think it might be just a bit more versatile than the SJ Evo due to its geometry (head angle) and also the adjustable Talas fork. The only downside I see is that it's a bit heavier and I don't know how much effect this will have.

Attached are some pictures of me on the bike, any comments regarding frame size are very welcome! The medium size felt ok, unfortunately there is no small size on stock at my dealer to compare it to. The seat post was extened to the 2.5 mark (10 is maximum extension), so this is quite low, isn't it?

Attachments

#10 ·
Looks like that bike fits you great. Just can't see you on a smaller frame IMO and yes the Elite is closer to the Remedy 8 and also has about the same head angle. Not a fan of the brain either sorry.

Trek suspension is fine IMO and the full floater concept along with the ABP is superior to the FSR IMHO. Almost every year Specialized changes the design of the FSR setup which tells me something.

I rode a Carbon 9.9 Remedy for a little loop and dam that thing climbed nice. Really stuck to the ground well.

Not a fan of the Shimano 525 hubs on the Remedy 8 but the Duster rims are outstanding and set up tubless super easy. I have a Duster laced to a beautiful Hadley hub on my Prophet and it's bombproof for my rock riding.

#11 ·
Thanks! Well, about the brain shock... As I said it worked well going uphill, but I was hoping for a little more going down. It just felt a little stiff to me. But I really don't have enough experience to say how much better or worse it is than other suspension setups.

Well, there are lots of things I like about the Remedy 8 (150mm travel, adjustable fork...), but I agree the parts could be better. Mainly the hubs you mentioned, also the cranks (Shimano M552), breaks (Elixir 5).. But then I don't know how much difference better parts really make and would I notice the difference? ;) Good to hear the Duster rims are good, I already searched online for reviews but didn't find much. In a recent review of the Remedy 8 in a German magazine they said the wheels are a bit on the heavy side, but I can live with that if they will also take more abuse!

#13 ·
I don't think that judging the Evo based on a ride aboard a brain shock equipped SJ is going to give you an accurate picture of what the Evo is actually like. They seem to be two very different bikes. I've never ridden an SJ Evo but I did demo a carbon Remedy. I was definitely impressed with it but, looking at the two bikes you're considering, I think I would prefer the Evo. I don't think you could go wrong with either bike though.

#14 ·
Yeah, guess you're right about that. Unfortunately there's no Evo for me to try on the trails, but I think my dealer would let me ride it on the parking lot. My main concern with the Evo is how well it can climb given the fork's travel cannot be adjusted and the slack head angle (see also this review).

#15 ·
Just went through this same thing! Stumpjumper elite vs. Remedy 8. I got the Remedy cause the suspension felt way better! I rode several days on each on many different trails. Downhill the trek has absolutly no bottom! The active braking or what ever it is on the trek was so awesome through braking bumps I never felt out of control. Uphill the trek was better also, didnt even notice the weight difference. Both bikes are great so pick the one you like. I like the Remedy!

#16 ·
SJ Evo is a bigger bike. 145mm travel compared to the EX8's 120mm. As mentioned the HA is slacker on the EVO. I've ridden both and they don't compare. You might find the EX8 to be a bit snappier on the climbs, but I think the difference will be small and easily dismissed when you feel how fun it is to descend on the EVO. That extra travel and slacker HA help it devour the downs....feels more stable and more confident. I haven't always been the biggest Spesh fan, but I think they've nailed a niche for those who want to earn their downs by climbing then rail corners, and descend fast, but not necessarily hit 20ft gaps or big air.

#18 ·
I agree with ebeer - I guess I've gotten comfortable with the kind of riding I like, which is rough downhills after pedaling up - I don't get to lift-serviced or shuttled riding at all. So, I would pick the EVO in a heartbeat - much more fun bike for the type of riding I like - shredding on the downhills. I also had a TALAS break, so adjustable suspension is not a selling point to me; I want to avoid it. Figure out what type of riding you want to do, and the choice might come easier.
Colin

Besides, who really runs three rings for all-mountain anyway (haha, sort of)

#19 ·
I have a 150mm scott, an have a 68 degree HA. Why would you want an ALL MOUNTAIN bike with a steeper angle? I find the 67 is perfect, an I'm contemplating trading up to a stumpy evo or ibis mojo hd to get the better downhill performance. I would say, if your looking for a good all around bike, instead of all mountain, you would be better served with a scott genius. But between the 2, the stumpy would win hands down for me.

#20 ·
i went for the stump evo because of the components package it comes with and i got an awesome deal from my lbs.
drop seat post, chain guide, bashguard, and carbon 2x10 cranks pretty light weight at 28.5 pounds med frame.
the HA is very slack for me and it does take more effort for me to climb, but this makes the downhills easier for me. i guess a travel adjust fork would help but so far i have no need for it
so far i like the bike alot, but the rear brakes vibrate like crazy. i suggest changing to rear rotors to avid's g2 (their older design) and organic pads to quiet the rear brakes

you should definitely go with a medium. im 5'7'' and medium fits me good so small will be too cramped imo.

#23 ·
Not sure if you have made your decision yet fleia, but if it is any help I've owned an EVO for about 3-4 months. I have smashed it non-stop and have not had any problems with it. Most of the riding I do is serious uphill and it takes it no problem. But then when you come down the Command post and chain guide make it even better.

#24 ·
The EVO is super cool, I would take one over a remedy all day long, but why does Spec have to use proprietary stuff like that shock? This just restricts shock options, not to mention major issues if you blow that shock on a rd trip. No spec dealer, no go, and you better hope that when you find a spec dealer they have the parts you need.

#26 ·
tshulthise said:
If you are open to any other options compare to this http://www.fezzari.com/full-suspension-all-mountain/nebo-peak
Imagine... coming off an aggressive singletrack ride through the canyon and you approach a steep climb to the crest. With a quick turn of the dial, you adjust the 6-inches of travel on the Fox Talas RLC fork down to 4.5-inches, automatically shifting your balance of gravity forward and allowing you to climb steeper than you've done before. As you approach the crest, you slide the switch back to 6-inches of travel, and with your thumb flick the SRAM X.0 shifter to Gear 2. The 1:1 shift ratio on the drive train make it shift quickly and confidently. As you bomb down the other side over stumps and around boulders, you notice the lateral stability and effortless braking. Your confidence rises as you become more comfortable with this finely engineered machine. You take a jump over a ledge and notice how smoothly the suspension and shocks absorb and forgive. You think, "I've never ridden like this before."

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.