View Poll Results: Which Specialized or Trek bike?

Voters
126. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp EVO

84 66.67%
  • 2012 Trek Remedy 8

19 15.08%
  • 2011 Trek Remedy 9.7

23 18.25%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    No longer a hardtailkid.

Stumpy FSR Comp EVO, Remedy 8, or '11 Remedy 9.7?

Hello again. Back to ask about another bike, not a commuter this time. All mountain, baby!

I'm going to do an employee purchase of either a Trek or Specialized when the option comes available to me (late November) and I want a pedalable Trail/AM bike. Looking for 140-150mm travel with somewhat slack geo. Not DH slack, but not XC steep. And I'm looking at either a '12 Stumpy FSR Comp EVO, '12 Remedy 8, or '11 Remedy 9.7. I'm going to head to the shop tomorrow to ride an EX8, which is the same basic platform as the Remedy to see how I like it.

I'm kinda leaning towards the Stumpy because:
    • Adjustable seatpost stock
    • RockShox Revelations are supposedly very plush
    • Mid cage rear derailleur

But I'm liking the Remedy 8, too, because:
    • SLX/SLX/XT Drivetrain
    • SLX Brakes
    • DRCV Technology, Full floater, ABP

At the same time, the Remedy 9.7 has:
    • a carbon fiber frame!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    Its still just the push of a button away...
    I am no longer a hardtailkid. 2012 Trek Remedy 9!

Woods Ready
    Love my EVO.

Not fond of Trek.

Mine is a 2011, and I think they took care of my only complaint with the 2012. (Fork)

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Alright

One of my worries with a Remedy is the brake dive issue. I've heard that the fork doesn't have enough (or any) low speed compression adjustment.

Now, how does the evo pedal? If you have some complaints about it, please tell me.

Thanks for the quick reply!

mtbr member
    Just picked up a 2011 Remedy 8, very similar build and same frame/fork as the '12. I'll have a full report in a week after beating on it for a few miles. If you haven't purchased by next weekend shoot me a PM for some feedback.

Theres some big differences between the Spec and the Treks. Shimano vs Sram, Fox vs RS.

Trek's ABP was definitely a factor for me. After riding DH for a few years, having active susp under braking was significant for me. As was having full shimano train, and Fox quality out front. I do hear the low speed compression concerns. I'm hoping I'll be able to dial it in.

For what its worth, coming from a LBS that has sold Trek for 15 years, and sold Spec for 5, theres a reason they no longer sell Specialized. They have no problem f'ing over shops, and even showing some customers poor custy service. On the other hand, plenty of ppl have had awesome relationships with Specialized.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I work in a Spec/Trek shop (we are a Trek store, but also a dealer for Specialized, among others) so if they give me poor customer service, if I go that route, I will not sell another Spesh. The shop I work at requires that I work there for 6 months before I can do an employee purchase (I guess they think I'm gonna work there, buy a bike, then ditch). I started there the day after school got out for summer on May 24, so that puts me at late November when I can purchase.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I have not got a chance to ride a Stumpjumper yet but my impression of the Remedy was not too good. I only got a short demo on it but in that time it felt very unstable and twitchy. I felt as if I was riding on top of the front wheel the whole time (I'm 5'11" and was riding a large) and at any moment I would go over the front wheel. The other guy I was demoing the bikes with was not impressed either, though I think he just didn't like the bike in general. Though I have yet to see a similar or even bad review online. My only conclusion is that it was a fluke. I would definitely be willing to give the Remedy a 2nd chance but the first impression for me, was not good. My advice is definitely get some trail time on them both. For the value though, I would be leaning toward the Stumpy. Not to mention you get a seatpost dropper and chain guide, two things that would come in handy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikrc10 View Post
    I have not got a chance to ride a Stumpjumper yet but my impression of the Remedy was not too good. I felt as if I was riding on top of the front wheel the whole time (I'm 5'11" and was riding a large) and at any moment I would go over the front wheel. The other guy I was demoing the bikes with was not impressed either
    I rode a Remedy around the shop and the parking lot and I had the same feeling adout going over the front tire. I even had the sales person double checked the geo numbers for me, because it didn't feel like 68ha. I like the Spech, I like RS/Sram, mainly because you get great performance at a great price point. That's something that you don't get with Fox, they bleed you through the nose and only 36 comes with 20mm thur axle.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    If you have ridden a Stumpjumper FSR without the Brain,

Does it pedal really well? Scale of 1-10, 10 being damn near hardtail, 1 being a Karpiel Armageddon.

usually cranky
    im a big fan of the fsr suspension. i have only tried one with a brain but i did back it all the way off. like that i felt it pedaled about the same as my jamis (linkage driven sp). of course the really nice thing was how it was always active. id go for the stumpy evo.

Woods Ready
    About pedaling the EVO...

It took some getting used to going to a 2x10. I do a lot more front ring- gear changes... but I think I have the hang of it now

It pedals very nicely. I can definitely feel an improvement on steepish climbs when I pro-pedal the shock, but on rolling trails I usually keep the shock open.

I think it bobs less than my older Superlight did.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My Remedy 9 has low speed compression. I think it would be pretty soft without it. I'll make this one observation, I wasn't happy with my bike until I swapped in a shorter stem and wider/taller Easton Havoc DH/All Mountain bars. Then it was an entirely different and very nice bike. I love it now.
    2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Thanks for the replies, advice, and votes, guys! I appreciate it a lot. I still have to wait till November 24th to do an employee purchase (I have to work at my shop for 6 months), but that's a month after the bikes are released, so I'll be in good shape.

I threw together my hardtail the other day and I've been riding it, and want to get back into the swing of trails on it so I'm ready for a newww bike

Keep it comin'!

Thanks,
    Andy

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I've been talking about it a lot in the shop, and today the owner told me "we'll talk about it tomorrow." Let's goooo

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    i have an sj evo for about 4 or 5 months now. this bike is very downhill friendly, rolls fast, and IMO pedals well. there is a slight bob i suppose, but i have never felt i need pro pedal. at least 90% of the time i dont use pro pedal.

ive never riden a trek before so i cant comment. ill say that the slack head tube of the sj evo has made my steep downhills look more inviting. in some runs, if i had a steeper head tube, i would have been in a world of hurt. the dropper seatpost and chain guide has also been a blessing. the avid brakes however has been a pain, but the bike shop did swap out the rotors and pads, so far its been good.

this is just my insight on the 2011 sj evo. the 2012 will have a post mount rear brake and a 12mm TA rear, these are things that i envy. test ride both on your favorite trails, thats the only way to know which is for you. good luck.

mtbr member
    I've loved both Remedy's I've ridden. I also must give a shout out for the Specialized Pitch, if you still have a 2011 model in stock, it is a really versatile and playful bike.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bilirubin View Post
    I've loved both Remedy's I've ridden. I also must give a shout out for the Specialized Pitch, if you still have a 2011 model in stock, it is a really versatile and playful bike.
    I had been eyeing the pitch for a while, but Specialized is sold out of them and not bringing them back for '12. It's not a very pedalable bike, however. I did ride one around when a customer ordered it

mtbr member
    Huh. I pedal fine with mine. Not sure what you mean I guess.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hardtailkid View Post
    I had been eyeing the pitch for a while, but Specialized is sold out of them and not bringing them back for '12. It's not a very pedalable bike, however. I did ride one around when a customer ordered it
    Not pedalable?

You're making that claim based on a quick parking lot ride?

The Pitch actually pedals very well.
    "Don't feel bad. A lot of people have no talent"

mtbr member
    2011 Pitch Pro here. If I couldnt have gotten that, I would be on a Banshee Spitfire or waiting on the Spec Stumpy Evo for next year.

I have no issue pedaling the Pitch or any FSR. Know they are a bit more "active", and this translates into a bit more "bob" when set up nice and plush. I tend to like this, and have made my last 3 bikes (long term) FSR bikes, the last 2 with 6" bikes.

The remedy never made my list due to lack of a 20mm front axle. Deal breaker on any 5"+ bike, IMO.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Whats the price on a '12 SJ evo supposed to be?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by walter95 View Post
    whats the price on a '12 sj evo supposed to be?
    $4100

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Any actual prices out yet for the sj comp evo? Bike lust is starting to set in.

mtbr member
    Evo comp is supposed to be $2700 I think

No longer a hardtailkid.
    According to ibd.specialized.com, the Comp Evo is $3300, Expert Evo 29 is $4,400, and Expert Carbon Evo is $5,800.

No longer a hardtailkid.
    I think the poll is telling me something

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast