mtbr member
    Mar 2013

stumpy evo vs slash 9

I'm wanting a more capable bike in means if jumping and aggressive riding . Seeing as I live in Nebraska its always sequel parts climbing as descending. My question is as I have to buy unseen. Is how much difference does 4 lb,1 degree slacker head angle,and and half an inch going to make on how sluggish and climbing capability? The slash 9 is a little cheaper and I love the fact that its 650b wheel size. But if the carbon stumpy will still put up with jumps drops etc while having more p
    edal ability and being mmore playful ill probably go that route. Really wish it came in 27.5! Any advice/tips are welcome. This is the second mountain bike I've ever bought and I'm moving off a 100 fs xc bike that I Completely over ride. THANKS

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I've spent a few days on last year's Slash. It climbed pretty well for it's stats, but was clearly meant for going down. This year's model is geared even more toward going down. Definitely a bike that will get you up the hill, but is meant for doing down.

My 2 cents. Haven't ridden the spec.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Slash from me as well. It is a fantastic bicycle. Just note that the warranty for it isn't lifetime but only 2 or 3 years if I remember correctly.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Also a pedaling platform is crucial for any Trek bike. If it annoys you to have to flip switches, look elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    These are my thoughts regarding this two bikes
    Trek slash

EVO climbs faster on fire roads due to better/stiffer propedal on the shock. When both shocks/bikes are on open mode, pedaling out of the seat is not something you would do for a long time. The EVO is equally faster (or even faster) on nicer trails, but when things get really ugly (big rocks and stuff like that), the aggressive geometry of the Slash comes in play. The EVO is more "poppy" when you want to get it in the air. You can do it also on a Slash with more energy, but the rear wheels really sticks to the ground (would compare the rear suspension to a Spec Enduro). Also, the EVO had a Pike instead of stock Revelation, so a stiffer front end on both bikes. Both bikes are built solid, but you have to choose what type of bike you like. I like that the Slash has only one proprietary thing (the shock) and other spec are standard (73mm BB, normal headset). And yeah, higher BB of the Slash is great when dealing with big rocks and drops and technical ascents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    You can always check out the Remedy 27.5. It'll be a better all arounder than a Slash.

usually cranky
    ^i agree. remedy vs. stumpy evo is a better comparision.