mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Stumpjumper FSR vs. Stumpjumper Comp vs. Stumpjumper Expert

I just moved out to Colorado from Jersey. I don't have a mountain bike (road biking back east). I and my lady friend are in need of a good mountain bike. I am a weekend warrior, and work full-time during the week. I am in good shape... am 27 years and make decent money. That said, I don't want to spend $4000 on a bike.

So after doing some research, I think I am deciding to go with the Stumpjumper FSR line... now here's my question:

- How much more do I get for going with the Comp or the Expert over the Base FSR?

I understand better components... etc... but being a noobie to mountain biking... i'm not sure I can appreciate the difference at this stage. That said, I know I will be biking for years to come and will be taking advantage of the awesome trails that the Rocky Mountains provide. I am planning on doing mainly XC riding... some downhill... but I believe what I need is an all-mountain bike.

I appreciate any comments/thoughts...

mtbr member
    Stumpy's are more XC than AM. I don't want to get in a AM vs XC debate, hehe. If you're wanting to downhill and still be able to climb a bit, check out an "AM" bike. Specialized Enduro's, Rocky Mountain slayer's are one's that I'm looking into.
    Last edited by mjsca07; 07-24-2006 at 08:55 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was in the same dilemna once I figured out I wanted a FSR. I looked at the different models and ended up spending as little as possible on the FSR. The comp, pro and expert are all wonderful bikes but you get the same frame in the normal FSR. For me that was most important because I am the type to upgrade. Ive already changed out many parts and the bike came with XT and some XTR components so I was happy with that. Love the bike and glad I didnt spend 1000 more on the bigger model. I ride mostly XC stuff and some hills and some downhill stuff and the bikes working great. My next bike will be more all mountain for more singletrack downhill trails or I may just start converting the FSR over, who knows. Im glad I bought the bike and its already gone down several hundred since I bought mine. You should grab one while you can the 07s are rolling in.

mtbr member

Stumpy FSR

I've had mine since April. I bought the base model. I don't regret it one bit. I'm more intermediate than beginner, coming from hardtails. But I agree with the poster above. Unless you just got to spend the cash, I'd go for the base model. Go out to a nice dinner with the cash you save... after a sweet, long ride on your new bike.

I bought the base model because I'm not one for bling and I didn't want hydraulic disc brakes, which if they go on you on the trail, you're up shi*t's creek. Also, I just don't need hydraulic freakin' brakes. If you're a beginner, I'm guessing you won't either. The mechanical disc brakes the base comes with are great--Avid BB7's--for beginner and well into intermediate stuff.

And if you do ever decide to upgrade, the Stumpy is a frame that can grow with you. It is a little more XC than all-mountain. But I've been using it for both and it's held up.

I really like the bike, too. It handles superbly on tight singletrack and is light enough to climb and go on some seriously long rides with.

My two cents.

mtbr member
    the real question is, do you want to buy the bike and leave it, or upgrade over time?

if you are getting it and going to leave it, then get the best bike you can afford. if you are going to upgrade, I would get the comp then upgrade stuff that you think is important.
    if you like aggresive riding, then get some better tires and maybe a new fork. if you are about xc and keeping it light, then get a new seat post, seat, wheels, and handlebars and maybe some lighter tires.

I almost bought the comp since I liked the color and whatnot, but I ended up building a SC heckler since I wanted to build my own bike and save a lil money and do everything at once.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I was at the same point a bit more than 2 years ago - went with the entry level FSR and have been very happy. On the flip side, I've also upgraded ~80% of the bike since then, but the components I upgraded to weren't on the upper models so it is somewhat of a moot point.
    -Ben

Work/reality vs recreation seems to provide a never ending connundrum...

baka baka!
    colorado, from what i've been hearing, has pretty crazy trails...some real AM. if you're gonna be doing rough trails with consistent 4ft+ drops i'd prolly go with a burlier frame.

if not...

my friend (xc trail rider) just bought an '06 base sj fsr and loves it...he was in the same situation as you debating between the comp and the base. he didn't think that the upgraded brakes and xtr rear mech were worth the extra 200 bucks. i've been using hydraulics on both my bikes but i was pretty impressed with the stopping power and modulation of the bb7's. not to mention they're super easy to maintain and adjust. personally i think that a lot of the specialized components that came on his bike are pretty good compared to the parts that other bike companies offer at that price. i probably wouldn't upgrade anything until parts start breaking or degrade in performance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi:
    My advise is check the prices. I mean, I just buy my stumpy expert 2,450 USD so if you think the regular price for the comp is 2,200 so for 250 more I get TALAS, better brakes, XTR, etc (and better color hehe). I live in MD.

BIke I mean bye.

Explore More
    Quote Originally Posted by x9typesh
    my friend (xc trail rider) just bought an '06 base sj fsr and loves it...he was in the same situation as you debating between the comp and the base. he didn't think that the upgraded brakes and xtr rear mech were worth the extra 200 bucks. i've been using hydraulics on both my bikes but i was pretty impressed with the stopping power and modulation of the bb7's. not to mention they're super easy to maintain and adjust. personally i think that a lot of the specialized components that came on his bike are pretty good compared to the parts that other bike companies offer at that price. i probably wouldn't upgrade anything until parts start breaking or degrade in performance.
    Same for me. I had a 23lb Sugar 2 until someone stole it in March. Bought the base Stumpy for the value and the fact that I'd rather have the BB7 mechanicals. (I do too much epic solo riding and don't need the worry of hydraulic problems.) Got the base model for $1800 + tax and when my new wheels come in, hopefully on Friday, I'll have a high 24lb sweet ride for $2500 + tax.

The Stumpy is a great ride, handles everything with ease and climbs better than my Sugar did. Given that the loss was covered under my homeowners insurance and I have replacement cost coverage, I'm actually glad some S.O.B. stole the Sugar!

Ride On!

mtbr member

What wheelset u gettin?

Quote Originally Posted by DesertDog
    Got the base model for $1800 + tax and when my new wheels come in, hopefully on Friday, I'll have a high 24lb sweet ride for $2500 + tax.

Ride On!
    What wheelset you get, bro, that's dropping it to 24lbs? Did u make other mods?

Explore More

Stumpy upgrade Info

Quote Originally Posted by madgeronimo
    What wheelset you get, bro, that's dropping it to 24lbs? Did u make other mods?
    Here is a list of the upgrades I have made to my Stumpy with weight savings and cost of the components. Check the attached text file if the list comes out screwed up in this post.
    I've been able to find some great deals on parts, so it's kept the build cost down.

Component Original Part Upgraded Part Old g New g Less g Cost
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Handlebar Specialized lo-rise Easton EC70 XC 247 128 119 50
    Grips Specialized Grips Titec Pork Rinds 91 17 74 9
    Stem Specialized 90x08 Sette Edge 90x10 193 128 65 25
    Rotor Front Avid Roundagon Avid Mudcutter 133 108 25 15
    Rotor Rear Avid Roundagon Avid Mudcutter 133 108 25 15
    Pedals Shimano M520 Wellgo WAM M3 Ti 377 269 108 45
    Cassette Shimano Deore HG-50 11-34 Shimano XT 11-32 434 261 173 60
    Wheel Front Mavic XM317/Specialized Stout VXC/WTB LDLite/SComps 856 748 108 167
    Wheel Rear Mavic XM317/Shimano 425 VXC/WTB LDLite/SComps 1080 856 224 213
    Skewers Specialized F/Shimano R Salsa Flip-Offs 122 102 20 39
    Saddle Specialized Rival Sette Race Ti 284 184 100 25
    Seatpost Specialized Alloy Micro Thomson 30.9x367 266 252 14 57
    Seat Collar Specialized QR Salsa LipLock 45 28 17 15
    Tire Front Specialized Resolution 2.0 IRC Mibro 1.95 581 425 156 20
    Tire Rear Specialized Resolution 2.0 IRC Mibro 1.95 578 425 153 20
    Misc Avid Rollamajig 0 11 -11 7
    Misc Plastic Spoke Protector None 26 0 26 0
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Savings in Grams 1396 782
    Savings in Ounces 49.24

Attached Files Attached Files