mtbr member
    Apr 2013

New question here. Stumpjumper FSR Elite vs. Comp Carbon

I am looking into a quality trail FSR, and rode the Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon today (MSRP $4100). I really liked the feel of this bike. For the same price there is the Aluminum Elite, which has the rear shock brain, Command Post BlackLite, 3 position, adjustable height Seatpost, and XTR Rear derailleur. The dealer didn't have the Elite to ride.

I would appreciate thoughts on which is a better package, Carbon Frame, or the upgraded components on aluminum.

I should qualify that I have a 20+ year old Trek 8000, with no suspension. So all of this is new to me.

a dad
    Jan 2004
    Personally, I don't think the weight savings of carbon bikes are worth it.. I don't know the difference in weight on that bike, but bet its less than a pound..

I do know that a remote seatpost is amazing and something I wouldn't ride without and I do know that your life will change regardless of which of these you choose, welcome to the 21st century
    BBZ

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy - Benjamin Franklin

mtbr member
    If your going to leave it stock and just ride the Elite is tough to beat.
    If you plan to upgrade as parts wear out go Comp Carbon. It is a much better frame to upgrade upon. I went from a 2011 aluminum elite to a carbon expert and it was night and day difference. The biggest difference is how much the carbon smooths out the trail.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    go test as many bikes as you can.. buy what you like the most
    2010 GT Avalanche Expert

mtbr member
    There isn't that much difference in components on AL Elite vs Carbon Comp. From Specialized's site
    Specialized Bicycle Components
    Specialized Bicycle Components

Elite has XTR derailleur, Comp has XT (both with Shadow Plus, honestly there isn't that much difference between the two)
    Elite has S2200 carbon crank, Comp has S-1250 alloy crank (it's lighter and stronger, probably the biggest difference in the two)
    Elite has carbon bashguard, Comp has alloy bashguard (lighter on the Elite but stronger? doubtful)
    Elite has PG-1050 cassette, Comp has PG-1030 (a difference of what 80grams? bit more? who cares)
    Elite has Command Post dropper (definitely a huge plus)

Honestly, if I were you I'd get the Comp Carbon, get a dropper post as part of the deal (probably saving a little bit) and never look back.

mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR Elite vs. Comp Carbon

Comp carbon. Easier to upgrade a few parts as they break vs upgrading a frame.

Rider, Builder, Dreamer
    Carbon. Personally I think the Brain shock takes away from the riding experience of a trail bike. The platform it sets up makes preloading to bunnyhop or boost off a jump really awkward and sometimes just sketchy. It also delays the absorption of the first bump in a series of bumps, so that first bump is more harsh than you would get with a CTD, RP2, etc. Plus, as others said, as things wear out the carbon frame is going to be a better frame to upgrade parts on. That and the fact that it will be lighter and stiffer than the aluminum.....

Any reason you're not looking at the Evo models? I just picked up a '13 Stumpy Expert Evo this spring and am absolutely loving it.

mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR Elite vs. Comp Carbon

I fully agree with the evo and the brain. The brain makes riding less fun. I have spent a lot of money making my bike feel the way the evo does stock.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    go with the comp evo and build a *****in wheelset with what you save, Chris king, dt swiss 240, or hope hubs, with aerolite spokes, and WTB i23 hoops, ive been running these wheels on my enduro, huge difference over the stock speshy wheels, lighter, stronger.

the ctd shock is way better than the piece of crap brain.
    and the rest of the comp component spec is no slouch.

in the end you dont get an xtr rear derailer, or carbon frame, but i think you will have a better overall riding bike.
    Juice

mtbr member
    I'd go with the Elite.
    Carbon & Rocks done work well together.
    Save the Carbon bikes for racing or other less aggressive type riding unless you can afford to replace the frame following a spill.

Alternatively if All Mountain is what youre riding move up to the Enduro or Evo type models.
    MTB:
    09 Stumpy Elite
    10 Enduro Pro Custom
    16" HotRock Custom

Road:
    08 Jamis Xenith Comp
    13 Pinarello Dogma 65.1

mtbr member
    I was in your exact place a year ago. I felt that the difference between the two was negligible and went with the Stumpy Elite. I have put on just over two thousand trail miles on her. In the last six months I have changed out the stock Rovals with I9's and switched out the dropper post with a Thompson. I love my elite and use it for both XC riding / racing and AM riding. Regardless what you choose it is going to feel like a magic carpet compared to what you are coming from. New bike day is a great day!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.