mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon vs Niner Rip 9 Carbon 2 Star

I used to own a 2013 Stumpjumper FSR Comp AL. I really enjoyed the bike, but got into single speed and hard tails and sold it. I am wanting to get a full suspension again for more technical trails, and am looking at the same bike in Carbon, or the new Niner Rip 9 Carbon.
    I know the Horst Link VS CVA arguments, but I'm hoping to hear from people who have ridden both (RDO or AL since the Carbon just came out). I've ridden many miles on my old Stumpy AL bike, but have never ridden a niner. Has anybody ever sold one for the other? These bikes are within 100 dollars of each other, and are the ones I've narrowed it down to. The only thing that scares me about the Niner is the lower BB, as in being below the chainring, as I'll have a 32t chainring for 1x10.
    I know I would enjoy the Stumpy, but would the Niner be better? I enjoy descending on the stumpjumper, it was very smooth and took everything I was willing to ride without a problem. The niner I think may pedal better on climbs, but what about going down? The niner also has a fox 34 vs the Rockshox revelations on the stumpy.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I'm interested in this as well... my research shows that the Rip9 is more XC oriented than the Stumpy. I own a Stumpy and love it going down but it's a poor at pedaling IMO.

mtbr member
    I have ridden both and prefer the Rip9 for all around. The Stumpy has a more plush ride and absorbs just about everything in the trail. The Rip9 has a firmer, but not harsh, ride but pedals MUCH better in my opinion. I was faster overall on the Rip9 considering both the ups and down. Both are great bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    How much faster? Did you use the CTD on the shock on either bike? What kind of difference did it make on either?

Thanks for the input.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member
    With the Stumpy I used Trail mode for climbing on trails and Descend going down obviously. On the Rip9 I ran it in Descend all the time, it pedals great without the need additional platform.

As far as faster, all the climbs were faster on the Rip and pretty equal on the descent. One particular climb is a half mile, 400' climb and I was over 30sec faster.

If I had to choose one for all around it is tough, the Rip is fast and a great climber... The Stumpy is plush and funner going down.

Sent from ACLakey's Android

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks ACLakey. I think I may be looking for the plush ride, as I've got my SS for the other times when I want to be fast and deal with pain. I notice that at 130MM the Stumpy is also 1 degree slacker, should would be nicer for going down. There is a niner demo this weekend that I am going to try to make if I can so I can figure it out for certain, but the stumpy as of now is my choice I think.
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite

mtbr member

Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon vs Niner Rip 9 Carbon 2 Star

I've rode both bikes and i own a 2012 stumpy fsr comp. I demoed a rip9 rdo last year. And I was deeply disappointed in the rip nine. It didn't do anything half has good as my stumpy. I felt no difference in pedaling between the 2. My opinion the stumpy just kicked the rips ass all over the trail. I went in with a open mind wanting to be impressed after all I've heard about how great the niners are and I was very sad afterword. I had one guy tell me to make it rip properly you need to put a 140 pile on it to make it ride and rip the trails. I thought that was a load of ****. My stumpy with the stock float 29 at 130 flat ripped the down hills and since I've put a 140 kashima talus on it its just gotten better. "I put the float on my ss"". Just my thoughts. Ride them both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

Stumpjumper FSR Comp Carbon vs Niner Rip 9 Carbon 2 Star

Thanks for the input. I rode a rip 9 RDO this weekend. It felt great when I first got on it, but the suspension was setup to stiff for me to really get a feel for the bike. The demo guy just setup the suspension by asking my weight and not actually setting sag. I got bounced around by the suspension to much to really tell how the bike handles. One thing I did notice is how well it corners thanks to the stiff frame, and climbing was great. I'm still a bit undecided at this point and want to try to get another ride on a rip 9 and have the suspension dialed in, because as of right now I still like the stumpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Vassago Verhauen SS
    2014 Stumpjumper Evo HT
    2014 Tarmac Elite