Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

are stumjumpers crap !!?

i do mostly tight single track riding with alot of steep, rough up and down hill with a few small jumps and drops. i'm looking to get a new bike soon, and favorite lbs carries stumpjumpers at a good price. but i dont really ever see anyone in the forums recommending or even talking about the stumpjumper in general. are there problems that no one in the reviews are telling? is it crap for AM/XC? HELP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nothing wrong with Stumpjumpers.

If you want some information, you might get more luck if you try the Specialized forum.

mtbr member

Good job! Stumpjumper

I bought the 2006 Stumpy FSR for $1800 in May. I've ridden with it two times on technical single-track much like what you describe--tight, steep, with small jumps and small drops (3ft or less). I've also ridden it more than a dozen times on what are technically horse trails that are obstacle-strewn, very loose at times and very, very tight with lots of blind turns onto sudden ascents (park rangers haven't caught me yet). My conclusion: the Stumpy is great. It's not, of course, the most robust all-mountain rig you could buy. But as an all-arounder, the bike is solid--you can climb and really hammer with it out of the saddle; you can take moderate drops and know the bike is gonna be plush (I'm 160 pds.); and you can be a little sloppy with your line on the gnarly descents because of the FSR. It's a trail bike when you want it to be, but it's got the suspension to stand up to all-mountain abuse. Long-term, I'll have to wait and see how it holds up to all-mountain punishment. But I've been very happy with the bike so far and am even thinking of racing it. Now, that's all-mountain...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    i do mostly tight single track riding with alot of steep, rough up and down hill with a few small jumps and drops. i'm looking to get a new bike soon, and favorite lbs carries stumpjumpers at a good price. but i dont really ever see anyone in the forums recommending or even talking about the stumpjumper in general. are there problems that no one in the reviews are telling? is it crap for AM/XC? HELP!
    I think you are going to find that everyone has their own opinion and idea about AM bikes. Specialized bikes are decent bikes. They don't get a lot of press because they are so common. Like cookie cutter bikes, they pump them out in mass quantities. So you can get good deals on them because of the volume that Specialized does.

But what you will find is that your tastes probably won't match what others think. Someone may think that a stumpy FSR is the greatest bike in the world and you might ride one and think "eh?"... So really what it's going to come down to is you demo riding a few bikes to figure out what works best for you. It's great if you can get a good bike you like for $1800. It sucks if you spend $1800 on a bike that you don't like though.

There are many possibilities in the $1800 to $2200 price range. Do some riding and figure out what you like best. I did and one of the main bikes I thought I would really like I found I really didn't like at all.

ballbuster

Wtf?!?

I see people rave about their Stumpies all the time on these boards. I have an '03 Stumpy and absolutely love it. The older ones have 3-3.5 inches of rear travel, while the new ones are up to 5, I think. IMO my 3.5" is plenty for what I do. It feels pretty bottomless to me, even on the rockiest of stuff. I get away with stupid stuff on it all the time. I do XC and some heavier stuff.

I say go for it, if you like them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Better going up than down from what I've seen. Followed one last weekend for a little while and the back end was all over the place on the rough descents, especially under braking. I thought the guy was going to crash but he held onto it. Could have been set up badly of course, but I was surprised how bad it looked. It's probably a good bike, but certainly more toward the XC end of AM. Perhaps AM light

In hindsight I should add he was still tanking along at a fair old speed and I was sitting behind him on a 6" travel X5.
    [SIZE="2"]Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine[/SIZE]

Got Ventana
    I have been riding a stumpjumper for the last 6 months and have really enjoyed it. Nice light ride for what it is good components and the 120mm rear travel is great for what its designed for. It is more sort of focused at the endurance racing end of the market rater than your Dew slamming AM rider

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Stumpjumper FSR's are good bikes. I know quite a few people that ride them and love them. They're not weak bikes. They come with great warranties.

The forums tend to focus on boutique and semi-boutique bikes. Don't interpret a lack of posts as an indication of quality.

FishZapper
    yes. they are crap

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I hope they arent crap....I just bought one.

mtbr member
    They're an okay bike. I see a fair amount with the lower eyelet bushing worn out (2003 and newer). Cheap to replace, but they seem to develop play quickly, even with the bolt torqued to Specializeds specs. There are two in the usual group that I ride with and they do well with all types of terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The FSR is too light as a AM-bike for Clydesdales, but it should be fine if you're not too heavy. I suppose the only thing holding you back would be 160mm disks. So if you equip the bike with 180mm disks and 2.25 tires it should be okay for AM-use.

On my FSR2004 I already had to replace the shock bushing twice which is annoying. Once in a while I have to take the bottom pivot apart to clean it to get rid of creacking noises.

bike buster
    I've had my 2005 FSR Pro for just about a year now. All I can say is that I love it. The only problem I've found with the bike is the DU bushing went bad (bottom rear shock bushing). The part is like $5 and you can press it in yourself with a c-clamp and a couple of sockets. I predict it will go out again in about 2-300 miles. I'm a heavy guy (6'4" 210#) and this bike takes everything I can dish out. I did upgrade the stock fork (Manitou Minute 1:00) to a Fox Vanilla RLC because the OE fork is crap, especially for someone my size. Other than that, regular maintinence -- I changed the chain and cassette, but nothing else. Ride it, buy it -- you won't be disappointed.

Justin

Oh yeah, ... for some reason, the OE Shimano XT brake pads SQUEAL like crazy. I sound like a freight train coming down the mountain. Great pedestrian mover, though. Luckily, they are almost worn out and I can replace them.

mtbr member
    you might also want to look into the giant trance or reign. i now kids who freeride and race mountain cross with trances. one of my coaches used to be factory giant and he wanted a trance to race the pro downieville classic where you have to race the dh course and the xc course on the same bike, its called pro all mountain

mtbr member
    A step up from the Stumpy would be the Enduro too, which definitely is in the AM category. I was riding a Stumpy last year, excellent bike. However I like the rough stuff and jumping a lot now, and I always was worried about how the Stumpy was going to hold up (I'm about 184lbs). Got an Enduro Elite this year to replace and no more worries

The Stumpy is great for singletrack with the occasional 2-3 foot drop now and then. If you're going to ride bigger stuff than that regularly, I'd recommend the Enduro.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrainingWheels
    I hope they arent crap....I just bought one.
    Don't worry. They're fine bikes. NoTread is just being a d!ck

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Stumpy is great for singletrack with the occasional 2-3 foot drop now and then. If you're going to ride bigger stuff than that regularly, I'd recommend the Enduro.
    I woud agree with that statement. I just bought a 2006 Stumpy, I use it for XC, it climbs great and decends great also. I would highly recomend it. If your riding more XC and single track get the Stumpy, any riding bigger than that get the Enduro.

Weapon of Choice
    Ive been riding an 05 stumpy fsr for about 5 months now and it handles great on xc and technical ups and downs, occasional 3-4 ft drops. It is a bit lighter than most AM rigs out there but I like that. For the price you get overall a great bike. Not to mention a lifetime warranty on the frame.

Ultimate Poseur
    I rode demo Stumpy Expert FSR 120 or whatever it's called. I didn't like the geometry at all. the TT seemed fine, but it felt like I was pedaling with my butt hanging off the back of the bike. Really weird sensation. Friend of mine has an 04 Expert and he loves it. Just make sure the thing fits you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stumpy is solid.

Good bikes. One of the reasons you don't hear as much about the Stumpy anymore, is because of the current trend towards longer travel bikes. Bikes like the SC Nomad, Heckler, Turner RFX, Specialized Enduro, Yeti 575, and a few more, are stealing all of the thunder these days.

The Stumpjumper can handle most xc/am riding scenarios.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

For me it's pretty good

I have the Stumpjumper S-Works Carbon and its a wonderful bike. All Mountain? Well, it depends what AM means to you... I use it mainly on trail rides and do some minor jumps (3 ft max... 'til now ) and so far, so good. The frame is very responsive, firm pedaling, more bottom clearance and the suspension (both f&r) allows me to be more aggresive on descents. So, I definitely recommend the Stumpjumper. Can't go wrong with it!!!
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djska
    On my FSR2004 I already had to replace the shock bushing twice which is annoying. Once in a while I have to take the bottom pivot apart to clean it to get rid of creacking noises.

OMG a full-suspension bike requiring pivot/bushing maintenance?! no f-ing way! You should like totally trash that bike on the interweb dude!

EDR
    The Stumpy is a fine bike. And a piece of crap. Just ask anyone.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The Stumpy is a fine bike. And a piece of crap. Just ask anyone.
    So its a fine piece of crap.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member

thanks for the help

hear's my new......fine piece of crap!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast