Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

are stumjumpers crap !!?

i do mostly tight single track riding with alot of steep, rough up and down hill with a few small jumps and drops. i'm looking to get a new bike soon, and favorite lbs carries stumpjumpers at a good price. but i dont really ever see anyone in the forums recommending or even talking about the stumpjumper in general. are there problems that no one in the reviews are telling? is it crap for AM/XC? HELP!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Nothing wrong with Stumpjumpers.

If you want some information, you might get more luck if you try the Specialized forum.

mtbr member

Good job! Stumpjumper

I bought the 2006 Stumpy FSR for $1800 in May. I've ridden with it two times on technical single-track much like what you describe--tight, steep, with small jumps and small drops (3ft or less). I've also ridden it more than a dozen times on what are technically horse trails that are obstacle-strewn, very loose at times and very, very tight with lots of blind turns onto sudden ascents (park rangers haven't caught me yet). My conclusion: the Stumpy is great. It's not, of course, the most robust all-mountain rig you could buy. But as an all-arounder, the bike is solid--you can climb and really hammer with it out of the saddle; you can take moderate drops and know the bike is gonna be plush (I'm 160 pds.); and you can be a little sloppy with your line on the gnarly descents because of the FSR. It's a trail bike when you want it to be, but it's got the suspension to stand up to all-mountain abuse. Long-term, I'll have to wait and see how it holds up to all-mountain punishment. But I've been very happy with the bike so far and am even thinking of racing it. Now, that's all-mountain...

In my mind, I can do it!
    Quote Originally Posted by d365
    i do mostly tight single track riding with alot of steep, rough up and down hill with a few small jumps and drops. i'm looking to get a new bike soon, and favorite lbs carries stumpjumpers at a good price. but i dont really ever see anyone in the forums recommending or even talking about the stumpjumper in general. are there problems that no one in the reviews are telling? is it crap for AM/XC? HELP!
    I think you are going to find that everyone has their own opinion and idea about AM bikes. Specialized bikes are decent bikes. They don't get a lot of press because they are so common. Like cookie cutter bikes, they pump them out in mass quantities. So you can get good deals on them because of the volume that Specialized does.

But what you will find is that your tastes probably won't match what others think. Someone may think that a stumpy FSR is the greatest bike in the world and you might ride one and think "eh?"... So really what it's going to come down to is you demo riding a few bikes to figure out what works best for you. It's great if you can get a good bike you like for $1800. It sucks if you spend $1800 on a bike that you don't like though.

There are many possibilities in the $1800 to $2200 price range. Do some riding and figure out what you like best. I did and one of the main bikes I thought I would really like I found I really didn't like at all.

ballbuster

Wtf?!?

I see people rave about their Stumpies all the time on these boards. I have an '03 Stumpy and absolutely love it. The older ones have 3-3.5 inches of rear travel, while the new ones are up to 5, I think. IMO my 3.5" is plenty for what I do. It feels pretty bottomless to me, even on the rockiest of stuff. I get away with stupid stuff on it all the time. I do XC and some heavier stuff.

I say go for it, if you like them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Better going up than down from what I've seen. Followed one last weekend for a little while and the back end was all over the place on the rough descents, especially under braking. I thought the guy was going to crash but he held onto it. Could have been set up badly of course, but I was surprised how bad it looked. It's probably a good bike, but certainly more toward the XC end of AM. Perhaps AM light

In hindsight I should add he was still tanking along at a fair old speed and I was sitting behind him on a 6" travel X5.
    Remember, there is no black magic or witchcraft, it's only a machine

Got Ventana
    I have been riding a stumpjumper for the last 6 months and have really enjoyed it. Nice light ride for what it is good components and the 120mm rear travel is great for what its designed for. It is more sort of focused at the endurance racing end of the market rater than your Dew slamming AM rider

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Stumpjumper FSR's are good bikes. I know quite a few people that ride them and love them. They're not weak bikes. They come with great warranties.

The forums tend to focus on boutique and semi-boutique bikes. Don't interpret a lack of posts as an indication of quality.

FishZapper
    yes. they are crap

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I hope they arent crap....I just bought one.

bald
    They're an okay bike. I see a fair amount with the lower eyelet bushing worn out (2003 and newer). Cheap to replace, but they seem to develop play quickly, even with the bolt torqued to Specializeds specs. There are two in the usual group that I ride with and they do well with all types of terrain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    The FSR is too light as a AM-bike for Clydesdales, but it should be fine if you're not too heavy. I suppose the only thing holding you back would be 160mm disks. So if you equip the bike with 180mm disks and 2.25 tires it should be okay for AM-use.

On my FSR2004 I already had to replace the shock bushing twice which is annoying. Once in a while I have to take the bottom pivot apart to clean it to get rid of creacking noises.

bike buster
    I've had my 2005 FSR Pro for just about a year now. All I can say is that I love it. The only problem I've found with the bike is the DU bushing went bad (bottom rear shock bushing). The part is like $5 and you can press it in yourself with a c-clamp and a couple of sockets. I predict it will go out again in about 2-300 miles. I'm a heavy guy (6'4" 210#) and this bike takes everything I can dish out. I did upgrade the stock fork (Manitou Minute 1:00) to a Fox Vanilla RLC because the OE fork is crap, especially for someone my size. Other than that, regular maintinence -- I changed the chain and cassette, but nothing else. Ride it, buy it -- you won't be disappointed.

Justin

Oh yeah, ... for some reason, the OE Shimano XT brake pads SQUEAL like crazy. I sound like a freight train coming down the mountain. Great pedestrian mover, though. Luckily, they are almost worn out and I can replace them.

mtbr member
    you might also want to look into the giant trance or reign. i now kids who freeride and race mountain cross with trances. one of my coaches used to be factory giant and he wanted a trance to race the pro downieville classic where you have to race the dh course and the xc course on the same bike, its called pro all mountain

mtbr member
    A step up from the Stumpy would be the Enduro too, which definitely is in the AM category. I was riding a Stumpy last year, excellent bike. However I like the rough stuff and jumping a lot now, and I always was worried about how the Stumpy was going to hold up (I'm about 184lbs). Got an Enduro Elite this year to replace and no more worries

The Stumpy is great for singletrack with the occasional 2-3 foot drop now and then. If you're going to ride bigger stuff than that regularly, I'd recommend the Enduro.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrainingWheels
    I hope they arent crap....I just bought one.
    Don't worry. They're fine bikes. NoTread is just being a d!ck

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    The Stumpy is great for singletrack with the occasional 2-3 foot drop now and then. If you're going to ride bigger stuff than that regularly, I'd recommend the Enduro.
    I woud agree with that statement. I just bought a 2006 Stumpy, I use it for XC, it climbs great and decends great also. I would highly recomend it. If your riding more XC and single track get the Stumpy, any riding bigger than that get the Enduro.

Weapon of Choice
    Ive been riding an 05 stumpy fsr for about 5 months now and it handles great on xc and technical ups and downs, occasional 3-4 ft drops. It is a bit lighter than most AM rigs out there but I like that. For the price you get overall a great bike. Not to mention a lifetime warranty on the frame.

Ultimate Poseur
    I rode demo Stumpy Expert FSR 120 or whatever it's called. I didn't like the geometry at all. the TT seemed fine, but it felt like I was pedaling with my butt hanging off the back of the bike. Really weird sensation. Friend of mine has an 04 Expert and he loves it. Just make sure the thing fits you.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stumpy is solid.

Good bikes. One of the reasons you don't hear as much about the Stumpy anymore, is because of the current trend towards longer travel bikes. Bikes like the SC Nomad, Heckler, Turner RFX, Specialized Enduro, Yeti 575, and a few more, are stealing all of the thunder these days.

The Stumpjumper can handle most xc/am riding scenarios.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005

For me it's pretty good

I have the Stumpjumper S-Works Carbon and its a wonderful bike. All Mountain? Well, it depends what AM means to you... I use it mainly on trail rides and do some minor jumps (3 ft max... 'til now ) and so far, so good. The frame is very responsive, firm pedaling, more bottom clearance and the suspension (both f&r) allows me to be more aggresive on descents. So, I definitely recommend the Stumpjumper. Can't go wrong with it!!!
    "I will not relent"

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by djska
    On my FSR2004 I already had to replace the shock bushing twice which is annoying. Once in a while I have to take the bottom pivot apart to clean it to get rid of creacking noises.

OMG a full-suspension bike requiring pivot/bushing maintenance?! no f-ing way! You should like totally trash that bike on the interweb dude!

EDR
    The Stumpy is a fine bike. And a piece of crap. Just ask anyone.

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The Stumpy is a fine bike. And a piece of crap. Just ask anyone.
    So its a fine piece of crap.
    Don't harsh my mello

mtbr member

thanks for the help

hear's my new......fine piece of crap!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2005

Specialize in general

I do not see anything wrong with their products. Stumpjumper specially (which celebrates its 25 years) great bike, and great color too. The way I see it is that it is the Toyota of bikes, good quality at reasonable price. Tires are also good. But if the idea is not to have the same bike as that other guy you meet in the trail then you may have to look at other brand. I for one got a cannondale Jekyll 600 disc, then recently the ETSX 50 '05.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've got it's identical twin brother. Loved the green color from day 1.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    And a lovely piece of crap it is. Congrats, I'm sure you'll love it!

EDR
    I like it. that color rocks! You got a fine bike, no worries. -Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Great looking ride man!
    Mountain Bike Tales
    Digital Mountain Bike Magazine

SLX
    mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Craptastic bike! I thought I would never see a lime green bike, thats my favorite color.

If your worried about having the same bike swap some other parts on it to personalized it. Like syncros, ritchey, botenger, sette blah blah.... and dont just go out and slap on a thomson post and stem like every one else.

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by iviguy
    I think you are going to find that everyone has their own opinion and idea about AM bikes. Specialized bikes are decent bikes. They don't get a lot of press because they are so common. Like cookie cutter bikes, they pump them out in mass quantities. So you can get good deals on them because of the volume that Specialized does.

But what you will find is that your tastes probably won't match what others think. Someone may think that a stumpy FSR is the greatest bike in the world and you might ride one and think "eh?"... So really what it's going to come down to is you demo riding a few bikes to figure out what works best for you. It's great if you can get a good bike you like for $1800. It sucks if you spend $1800 on a bike that you don't like though.

There are many possibilities in the $1800 to $2200 price range. Do some riding and figure out what you like best. I did and one of the main bikes I thought I would really like I found I really didn't like at all.
    I have been in the bike shop industry off and on for many years and ivyguy is giving good advice! I personally happen to think that Specialized bikes ride very well, hold up and are equipped damn nice for the price (part of the whole "making lots of bikes means buying lots of parts and volume talks discounting"). Still, you may get on one and it does not work for you.

How the bike rides, how the shop that you acquire it from supports you and THEN things like equipment level, etc... is what has mattered to me. I can wrench my own bikes, and you may be able to also, but if there is ever a warranty issue or other out-of-normal-experience situation, having a good shop to back you is very important. Better derailluers and other items can be installed when the originals wear out/break. Buy a good frame, wheels and fork and the foundation for a good bike will be there.

Stumpy's are all the same frame for the Base - through Expert Models. At the Pro level the bike gets a Brain shock, and a couple of other detail items, with better (more expensive at least) equipment. I think the base '06 Stumpjumper is one of the best buys in a trailbike today - if you can still find one in your size. '07 models arrive soon. But no matter what I think, if you do not like the ride or the fit, it's not a good buy. I have 3 years on an Enduro Pro, and most of my friends and my girlfriend are on Stumpy's and all are happy with them! Great riding bike. Good luck on your search!

mtbr member
    Aren't the greens supposed to be store demos that they aren't supposed to sell? Or can they sell them after a certain amount of time?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    At first, the green stumpys were just demos, but so many people wanted the green color that they made a batch of green ones at the end of their production season. You can't order stumpy experts from Spec. They've pretty much sold out all they made, period. So now dealers can sell the demos. i had to get my LBS to get their spec. rep. to look around and find one for me. I got mine for 500 bucks off MSR. it has <5 demos on it, and other than a little dirt, you can't tell it's not new.

mtbr member
    awesome color. congrats on a fine bike .

bigger pic would be appreciated, tho.

Ant

You got any chocolate?
    There is no perfect bike out there so your bike is what you make of it. Specialized makes a quality product and their frames have a lifetime warranty. But not everyone may like their product. You have to be comfortable on the bike. And if you like the way it handles, looks, price, etc.....then go for it. As long as you are happy, that's all that counts. Just make sure that the LBS you are buying from follows up the purchase with excellent service. A crappy LBS can make any bike stink until you find a new shop. Good luck.
    Tom G.
    Long Island, NY

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio
    awesome color. congrats on a fine bike .

bigger pic would be appreciated, tho.

Ant
    My lime green 06 Expert:

locked - time out

Are they crap?????

Well does a Bear $hit in the WOODS!?!?!?!?

mtbr member
    that's a nice rig, regardless of what the bike snobs say. enjoy.

Ant

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have an 98 stump jumper ht and have redone a lot of it. it is a good bike, no problems or issues, I just think they were better quality as ht's for the prices. it is hard to find a good/new FS for less than like $2600.

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by vtskibum
    My lime green 06 Expert:

Nice reflectors. Lots of cars in that there "all mtn area".

mtbr member
    May 2006

Yeah, it's sweet

Damn I love my Expert. Amazingly plush 5" on full squish going downhill or flat/fast. Nice tight climber in pro pedal mode in the rear and the Talas adjusted down to 90mm travel in the front.

sop
    mtbr member
    May 2006
    Just bought a lime green Expert SJ/FSR, fresh out of the box...they just peeled off the "test ride bike" sticker. LBS told me not to tell anyone where I got it and how much I paid because they're apparently not supposed to sell them like that. Won't say where, but I paid $2100 for it.

mechmann_mtb
    Stumpy's are good for what they are intended for. I spared no expense on my wifes Stumpy but if i had to ride it everywhere i would think it was crap, and it would probably spend most of it's time broken. Of course i knew this up front and bought an Enduro. So far i have only broken the shock and a chainstay on my Enduro (Specialized made me very happy with the replacement parts)

mtbr member
    I have a 99' Enduro and I have beat the $h!t out of that thing and it still rides great. Broke a few parts here and there, but that's normal for as much as it has been riden. The rear suspension tracks very well and flexes a little at high speed cornering, but I also weigh over 200 lbs. Last year I bought a Haro x1 looking for something with more travel and I still ride the Specialized more than the Haro. The Haro is in the process of a makeover, new rear shock,fork,wheel,brakes,stem,headset,bars, and a chainguide are all in the works.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I think they are good for the $$ - I have an '04 stumpy FSR that has held up pretty well - so far I've swapped to Sram X9 shifters/deraillers after breaking my rear derailler and front shifter in a crash, upgraded to a race face Atlas crank after wearing out stock bb, replaced the manitou black (noodle) with a Fox Vanilla and had it and the rear shock Pushed, last weekend the front hub started loosening up a lot, so that'll probably be replaced soon.

I do regular maint. on my bike and keep it fairly clean and lubed. I ride everything from fireroads to rooted and very rocky trails with up to ~3' drops. So far I'd have to say I've been very happy with it over the past two years and ~2000miles, especially since I run between 215 and 235lbs and am not a finesse rider.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    That's the 3rd lime green 06 FSR Expert we see here, does that means stock ran out and Specialized is now selling the test bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Just wait until....

you have to replace the FSR suspension bearings

I had a 2004 stumpy fsr for 18 months and it never really felt like a bike worth what I paid for it.

I rode lots of man made single track stuff admittedly with a rather poor manitou elite fork which might have contributed to its poor feel...but I never felt rewarded (on the down hill sections) for all my up hill effort. I'd get down the bottom and wished I never bothered climbing it in the first place. I've never ridden such a noisy bike.

I was more than happy to let it go and get a the Heckler in its place. I don't really feel a great deal of difference going up but boy do I feel on top of the world when I get back down the bottom!!!!

And when the time comes, I have just two bearings to maintain as opposed to 10 on the stumpy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djska
    That's the 3rd lime green 06 FSR Expert we see here, does that means stock ran out and Specialized is now selling the test bikes?

YES. that's what i had to get. did my first ride on it yesterday. SWEEEEET!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by moment
    Nice reflectors. Lots of cars in that there "all mtn area".

Well there were plenty on the ride home from the shop... hehe no really this was before the first ride and in fact I'd just brought it into the house.

No more reflectors now and I've gotten about plenty of rides since this picture was taken.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast