mtbr member
    Jul 2018

Stuck between a bike and a hard place

Hey guys I am new around here, been riding for a bit mostly on a northrock xc6, a 26 xc bike, 80mm of travel, hardtail, 3x8 drivetrain, aluminum frame, mech disc etc. I use it for commuting around university and hitting trails. I would like a jack of all trades.

I am looking to upgrade my bike. And I am between 3 different bikes.
    I like the look of the aggressive ht out on the market, so the diamondback line 27.5 is loking decent for the money the way it comes spec'd. Brand new can get it for $555

But I am also lookimg at a used 2014 diamondback mason 29er trail hardtail for $550.140mm travel, 1x10, hydro disc and 29er.

Last bike I was looking at was a 2009 specialized s-works enduro carbon for $600. It seems like this would be the best all around performer for everything, but seems like so much bike for the local trails and commuting. and idk what would happen if I broke the carbon frame

Torn between getting an aggressive hardtail or the endure Any help would be appreciated

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    any help?

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I doubt you'll break the carbon frame.
    Generally, 2014 geo is worlds ahead of 2009 geo. 2018 is a little better still (generally).

That said, looks like the 09 Enduro is pretty solid at 67* HTA and 419mm CS.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/Specia...view-2010.html

It's a 26" bike, so that may limit your tire choice (?). It may also be more costly to maintain being almost ten years old; I'm not hip to how forwards-compatible things are from that era.

14 Mason HT is 66.5 HTA and 433 CS.
    Review: Diamondback Mason – Dirt Rag

Shorter CS makes the bike easier to wheelie/manual, and more playful off jumps and so forth.

As a brand, DB is solid value, but you can see how they take a hit on resale. Probably not an issue at this price point though - IE when you resell, it'll be 300 or whatever. The Specialized will probably hold its value a little better.

I'd ride them both and see what you think. If the Specialized is in good shape, and you do your due diligence on tires and repair/maintenance issues (maybe ask on the Specialized sub-forum), I'd probably take that route. You probably won't regret having rear suspension as your skillset evolves.
    2016 SC 5010
    2017 Norco Torrent
    2014 Giant Trance (the boy's)
    2014 Kona Process 134a (the other boy's)

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    I think I am going to get the diamondback mason. Its a little cheaper, its newer and the hardtail will be a little easier maintenance wise.

The allure of full squish does draw my attention, but not being a very skilled rider to begin with, I feel it may be a hinderance, just plowing through stuff and not really caring. The enduro does also seem like too much bike for 85-90% of my riding. The hardtail would have to be my go-to because they are so versatile, maybe in a couple years I can get a 2013 enduro for cheap

I would consider myself an beginning intermidiate rider. I can do most blue trails but dab on some features.
    I think the mason would be a great bike to build off of. It has the right feautures that can be upgraded, it can handle the abuse and help me be a better rider.