mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Straitline Platform or Xpedo face off xmx17?

I need another pair of platform pedals for another bike of mine. I thought I would try something different. I narrowed it down to these two pedals. Both seem to have good reviews. They are about or close to, the same price. Thought I would get opinions on both and which you would get.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I love the Straitlines on a 6" FS rig - big and stable platforms, very solid feel, awesome pins grip like hell w/o slip even when I'm wearing crappy sneakers for XC rather than 5.10s. The one time they did slip and bear trap my shin - barely any damage.

Can't speak for the xpedos - never ran them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I have the Xpedo's on my 6" AM rig and i love them. I only had one concern when i bought them and that was whether or not the "naked axle" design would get gunked up with mud (there's clay mud on one of the trails i ride). So after a very sloppy ride a couple of days ago, the pedals were caked in enough mud to where I couldn't even tell what color the pedals we anymore, I could only see the pins. Even being covered that much, they gripped my 5.10 impacts like no other. And my worries were destroyed because they didn't get jammed up at all, and the mud came out of the axle cutout with just hose water. The thing I like about these pedals is that you can get different color cages from the mfg for them and two other types of pins other then what they come with. Pretty sick!

Just like roxnroots, I have not tried the Straitlines, so I do not know how they compare.

Old school BMXer
    I just installed a set of Straitlines onto one of my bikes. Really, they work like any other platform pedal I've used (and I've used a lot).

What I find annoying, although it doesn't affect the peformance, when you drop the bike on the ground, such as when unloading it, you hear the pedal spindle end caps rattling. This was after only one ride. No big deal, but it makes the bike seem less solid.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200
    I just installed a set of Straitlines onto one of my bikes. Really, they work like any other platform pedal I've used (and I've used a lot).

What I find annoying, although it doesn't affect the peformance, when you drop the bike on the ground, such as when unloading it, you hear the pedal spindle end caps rattling. This was after only one ride. No big deal, but it makes the bike seem less solid.
    That's weird - I can picture what you're talking about but I haven't experienced this problem running my set for about 6 months now on some pretty rocky stuff in PA.

mtbr member
    I've had Straitlines on my bike for the last year, many, many pedal strikes and muddy rides later, no noise, no issues at all.

mtbr member
    My xpedos are junk. Sqeek out of the box. Single bearing design is not what I would expect from a $80 pedal. They both spin at different rates - one spins kinda hard; the other is loose.

They look killer; but I wouldn't buy them again.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    straits are the only way to go,answer rove are second,those are my two picks !!!