Oji
    Jun 2008

New question here. Straight vs angled stem

I recently switched from a 90mm, 10-degree stem to a 70mm, 6-degree stem and am very happy with how this has enabled a slight but helpful change in my body position and balance on the bike. Since making the switch I've been contemplating a question: Are straight and angled stems configured to have the same reach? In other words, is the distance from the center of the handlebar to the center of the steerer tube on a 0-degree (90 degree) 70mm stem the same as an angled 70mm stem? I've been looking at the Hope 70mm stems, which are configured as either 0-degree or 25-degree. If the reach is the same for both, having the upward rise afforded by the 25-degree angle could be of benefit on my rig as I'd remove a few headset spacers to offset the rise, but I am a little leery of the idea that the 70mm, 25-degree stem might produce a shorter reach than the straight 70mm model.

Thanks for any help with this question.

Cliff

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Oji
    Jun 2008

Good job! Perfect

Quote Originally Posted by BikinCO
    Awesome resource. Thanks .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by twangcat
    Are straight and angled stems configured to have the same reach? In other words, is the distance from the center of the handlebar to the center of the steerer tube on a 0-degree (90 degree) 70mm stem the same as an angled 70mm stem?

no and no

the length listed is the length of the extension. You'd have to do some math (i.e., a coordinate conversion) to find the x,y dimensions. Your bike's head angle is part of the geometry - you'd have to know it to get an accurate answer.

Oji
    Jun 2008

Calculator and visual site

Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    the length listed is the length of the extension. You'd have to do some math (i.e., a coordinate conversion) to find the x,y dimensions. Your bike's head angle is part of the geometry - you'd have to know it to get an accurate answer.
    Got it. See the site posted in BikinCo's reply to my original post. Plug in numbers and see the results. Pretty cool.

mtbr member
    Dont forget what kind of bars and how much rotation u put on them... its all in conjunction with the stem setup.

mtbr member
    Last edited by codename47; 11-24-2010 at 04:29 PM.

usually cranky
    depends on so much as others have said. but the simple answer is no.