Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stout Bikes?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stout Bikes?

I'm looking at a long travel hardtail and would like to keep it US made. I came across Stout Bikes from somebody's post here. His prices look awesome as well as the bikes. Does any body have on and how was dealing with Matt?

the test dummy
    never done anything with them but heres my american made long travel hard tail.
    From my bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by craftworks750
    Riding a mtb is like a reset button, 10 mins in and there is nothing else in the world that matters.
    my bikes
    -
    Ben

mtbr member
    How about an Santa Cruz Chameleon! I like the 2005/6 years of the Chameleon.

NOT Team Sanchez
    I posted that little blip. I can't fully answer your question as of yet, my frame's almost ready to ship, but I can tell you that he's very professional in his craft and dealings. I will post up pics when the frame's painted, I am so dang excited!!!

http://stoutbikes.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by wasea04; 12-31-2010 at 05:39 PM.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

I couldn't wait, here's the frame waiting for pc

Pretty sweet eh?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stout Bikes?-p1010011-1.jpg.jpeg  

I like bikes.

usually cranky
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Pretty sweet eh?
    that thing is sick! even unpainted and rough like that it is beautiful.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wasea what was he doing with seatstay connection to the toptube? Was that functional or aesthetics? I really like the way that bike came out. Can you share the geometry of the bike?
    Never mind I went to his blog and saw the geo for your bike. Thats going to be a singletrack ripper, with the lower BB and short chainstays. Looks like a bike you can take off some sweet jumps!
    Last edited by discodave; 01-01-2011 at 11:01 AM.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    Pretty sweet eh?

Reminds me of a GF I had, steel chain/seat stay bolted to an aluminum front triangle.
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

NOT Team Sanchez
    DiscoDave,

Have you called Matt up? As for the chainstays, that was his unique approach. I asked for something different in terms of the gussets, and the result was very cool and creative. What's awesome is that Matt leaves everything up to you in terms of geometry, but still offers his sage insights; the chainstays were shortened by a quarter inch at his suggestion. The headtube are integrated too!!

BTW: I love FTW's work, I nearly picked up a Ridge a year or two ago.
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Yea I emailed. Actually the balls in my court I just got to figure out what I want geo wise. I can't believe his prices they are easily half or more of what other guys are charging for custom bikes. I better get one soon before everybody finds out about him and he raises his prices to meet demand! Anyway I can't wait to see your bike painted and built up. What are you trails like?

NOT Team Sanchez

Stg!

I'm from SW Utah, the land of Gooseberry, Grafton, Green Valley, Barrels, Zen, and the ###!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stout Bikes?-_l_12964-93.jpg  

Last edited by wasea04; 01-01-2011 at 03:55 PM.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

All painted! (powder coated actually)

It'll be here oh so soon...........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stout Bikes?-stout-bike.jpg  

I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love the PINK! Can't wait to see the whole bike built up.

ride hard take risks
    Quote Originally Posted by discodave
    Love the PINK! Can't wait to see the whole bike built up.

Soo bad
    Formotion Products
    http://www.formot

mtbr member
    #Edit, cheers for the pm.
    Last edited by Fix the Spade; 01-15-2011 at 04:15 AM.

NOT Team Sanchez
    If Matt would like to, I'll let him chime in on his pricing as he's just now beginning to operate as a "for sale builder" instead of building for building's sake, if that makes sense
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

Meet the Phantom....if you can catch up with me:D

Matt, the mastermind behind this work of art, has created a true masterpiece; this bike looks amazing and rides twice as well as it looks Thanks again Matt!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stout Bikes?-phantom-bike-pic-2.jpg  

Stout Bikes?-phantom-bike-pic-3.jpg  

Stout Bikes?-phanton-bike-pic.jpg  

I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

DJ mode too......loving the Kowa.

The fork can be set anywhere between about 175mm to 0mm, which makes this bike an awesome do anything (within in reasonable limits), jack of all trades ripper! The geo is such that it aids in the quest of being a true all arounder: 18.5'' ST, 68.5 degree HA at 100mm, 23.5'' TT, and 16.25'' stays to round it out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stout Bikes?-phantom-dj.jpg  

I like bikes.

T.W.O
    Never heard of Kowa, can you link me to a reputable site selling them? I like the way your build turned out, not a fan of the pink but it is a nice change of pace from the black/red combo (which I have lol).

I can't wait to get the Blue Pig running in the spring and THAT will be a ripper. Best hardtail in Michigan.

NOT Team Sanchez
    It's lavender not pink, I like to try and think out of the box and be a little different, just like everybody else right? The blue pig phenomenon on this forum reminds me of the devotion that Homers hold for Turners.......there are other great bikes out there guys And don't bring your Blue Pig to Utah, 'cause we might have a best bike standoff and duel, people could be injured Kowa doesn't have a US distributor right now, but you can contact Kowa directly to buy their products. They're handmade in Japan, so the quality is second to none. It's 5lbs and sturdy, it also has Kashima coating making for nice aesthetics and performance; Kowa invented, and too my knowledge is the only company that applies it, they do it for Fox Shox although Fox acts as if they were the first to have it, lame!
    Last edited by wasea04; 02-03-2011 at 06:52 PM.
    I like bikes.

NOT Team Sanchez

The final iteration

After experimenting a little bit I've now settled into a build that I really, really like. I had been running a Kowa 160ss, but switched it out for a Marz 4x. The weight is the same, but the Marz is a straight up 100mm as opposed to anywhere between 160mm and 0mm on the Kowa. I like the aggressive positioning this travel height gives bike for really charging stuff, both up and down. I also switched out the Sunline V One 745x40 bar for my trusty old 690x40 Answer Protaper, the lower stack height wasn't jiving well with the really wide bars. I also splurged, it cost $40 at Universal Cycles, and bought a KS adjustable height seatpost. It's got a little suspension in addition to 100mm of height adjustment, the only drawback is it's on the heavy side at around 650 grams. By the way, the Kowa's off the bike only because it's on it's way to Japan to be serviced, I'm paying just the shipping costs too! To quote Mitsu at Kowa, he said though they may not be as large as some other manufacturers, they're customer service is second to none. The folks at Kowa are awesome, and their products reflect it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stout Bikes?-photo0398.jpg  

Stout Bikes?-photo0401.jpg  

I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Kowa's had a brief history in the US years ago I thought. I was wondering how to get their forks in the US.

So no Blue Pigs in Utah eh? How about a little Evil Sov? I just moved to Sandy from SoCal and think Evil will do well here- no pun intended.

mtbr member

I am very excited!!!

Nothing massively interesting in the layout itself, but it's got swappable dropouts and ever so slightly special geometry (oh yes, a 1.5 compatable head tube ). Can't wait to get it in my hands.

NOT Team Sanchez
    Sweet!!!!! I'm already pining for another Stout....maybe a 29er?
    I like bikes.

Deadhead
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fix the Spade

I am very excited!!!

Nothing massively interesting in the layout itself, but it's got swappable dropouts and ever so slightly special geometry (oh yes, a 1.5 compatable head tube ). Can't wait to get it in my hands.
    It's nice to see that frame built. I've been in contact with Matt about doing something similar; a kind of do-it-all rig. What kind of special geometry, If I may ask?
    "If you can get both wheels sliding with no brakes, that's when you really know that you're cookin." Nathan Rennie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast