mtbr member
    Feb 2009

sticky suntour mag 32 fork

Just bought a GT Force that came w. a Suntour sr mag 32 140mm air fork. Performance shop told me the stickyness should go away after break in. I know that fork is no Fox or RS Revelation but the thing is still pretty sticky (same as before) after 60 miles of riding rocky trails at speed. Could the coils be too stiff? Can the shop open them and do something to them? I'm running 80lbs pressure amd am 145lbs.
    Thanks as always! (Love the bike btw, fork is only issue)

usually cranky
    thats just the way it goes

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    So the fork just sucks? Nothing I can do?

usually cranky
    pretty much. maybe try some slick honey on the sanctions and seals?

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks b, will try

mtbr member
    I have the same fork and have had it for a year. It has worked just fine. Its an OEM Suntour Raidon X. Lube(I use Marine Grease) the stantions and push down on the fork several times. Also try running a little less air pressure but check your sag first. Its air/no coil. It was stiff at first.

I wouldn't try honey.

I have beat the crap out of this thing and it keeps taking it.

I had the fork serviced after 1 year of riding.

What?
    Take the lowers off and lube the bushings. My wifes bike came with that fork and it was dry as a bone. When putting it back together, leave a few ml of oil down there for splash lubrication. If freed her fork up a ton. You only need a couple allen wrenches to do the job. Its just about a Tora tk when lubed up nicely.

Make sure your rebound isnt set to slow as well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Thanks everyone. Bike is at performance under warranty to have fork looked at. They said the mechanic there today is a fork expert so we'll see. I'd hate to have to upgrade my fork so soon and have hopes lubing it will help. Will post results...

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Resolved

The mechaninc tightened the metal ring that is around the lockout/compression adjustment. Turns out the compression was stuck on a heavy setting. Super smooth now and very happy with fork - despite people saying it sucks. Will see what it does long term.

usually cranky
    the fork itself doesnt suck, its that the company that makes it sucks. the damper is so-so and alot of plastic junk is used but the fork is alright, it just that if you ever need something from suntour you are sol.