mtbr member

Sticky fox shocks!

I have just bought a 2000 cannondale and it has the Fox 32 Float RL FIT and my brother has a Rocky Mountain with Fox 32 Float RL However mine are sticky, and his are extremely smooth, can anyone help witht his please? - will they stay like this?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Drop the lowers and check the levels of semi-bath. More than likely they are low. Bring up to specified levels and ride it hard. They should break in and get smoother.

You should take off the lowers and add fresh semi-bath once a month.

mtbr member
    Thanks, but i have just bought the shox, so surely the semi-bath should be at the correct level?

mtbr member
    Also how come my brothers (which are not FIT) are smoother?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grimmer
    Thanks, but i have just bought the shox, so surely the semi-bath should be at the correct level?
    I got a new Fox Fork, 36 Vanilla, that didn't have any oil, zero, on the spring side of the fork.

Nothing is guaranteed and it takes a few minutes to check and remedy, if that is the issue.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Do a quick search, they are nortorious for shipping with a lack of oil

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    As others have suggested, drop the lowers and check the oil levels. Even when they're new (especially coming from Fox), you'll most likely be surprised...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    why not trying to take it to the shop before taking it apart?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by liranbachar
    why not trying to take it to the shop before taking it apart?
    It's a known issue, the bike cost 2000, I wouldn't be going back, it's crap like this that justifies people shopping online

mtbr member
    If i try taking it apart and filling up the oil would it ruin the warranty or anything like that? also i don't really know how.. Would it have to be a special oil?

mtbr member
    May 2008

mtbr member
    Thanks, but this doesn't tell you how to top up the 'semi-bath', as mine is a FIT, how do you do that?

mtbr member
    Thanks, but this doesn't tell you how to top up the 'semi-bath', as mine is a FIT, how do you do that?
    You may want to take the bike back to the dealer and complain about the fork, they may check it for you and change it for free.

However, I highly recommend trying it yourself, as you will slowly destroy the fork if you do not keep an eye on the semi-bath levels.

Fox's web-site is very good and has good directions.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all your help, I think i will ride it a couple of times then take it to the shop and see if they will fill the oil for me (On fox's website it says the warranty is void if you dissasemble it, so i'll stay clear for the moment :P )
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If i try taking it apart and filling up the oil would it ruin the warranty or anything like that? also i don't really know how.. Would it have to be a special oil?
    You should probably try taking it to the dealer you bought it from and see if they will fix it. If they don't then you might try changing the bath oil yourself.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    You purchased a product, a very expensive one at that. It hasn't performed to satisfaction, and there is a problem. Take it back and explain this to the shop, there is no way in hell they aren't going to help you. And it shouldn't cost you a thing either.

As long as you don't come at them like they knowing sold you a de-oiled fork, even a semi-reasonable shop would fix it without a second thought. Especially since it isn't that big a deal, and is a big part of customer service.

None of that sounds crazy to me.

altazo
    FIT forks are known for having more initial stiction than the lower price point open bath models. They do get better after about 20 hrs of riding.

I don't even know if you should consider FIT forks a "semi bath" design as others have in this thread. FIT is a completely sealed cartridge that handles both compression and rebound damping. There is only a tiny splash of oil in the lowers to serve as lube for the stanchions. You can check to make sure it's in there if you want, but that sticky feeling you are describing seems more indicative of a new FIT cartridge.

mtbr member
    Try leaving the bike upside down overnight to allow the oil to re-saturate the foam rings and dust seals. Oil runs downhill and if a bike sits in a shop for months, the seals and foam rings can dry out. If this does not help, you likely don't have much/any oil in the lowers.

mtbr member
    Okay thanks a lot for all the replies guys
    I will leave it upside down overnight then take it for a spin and if its still not great i'll take it back.
    Mountains... because roads are boring
    My GoPro DH Channel <---- Please Subscribe!

metrotuned WoS
    Any legit bike shop offers lifetime service to the original buyer. Any bike shop offers service for this type of situation.